Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

So this new creative team is reverting back to the old "Connections with the Amazons and the JLA" stories of the silver/bronze age.

Good art, but it's going to be a difficult sell.

I actually Finch, when given time his artwork looks amazing, when he's rushed it looks like crap. Only problem is, is that he draws at the pace of a snail
    Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share -- I'll never stop fighting. Ever.
    -Superman, Action Comics #775

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

After 2 re-reads, I can find nothing to be excited for in this announcement...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Ok... good.
    Good.
    Sounds like gimmicky crossovers to me. But if it helps her book and it's well written...
    Heh.

Steve.

But this seems inevitable. I mean they could hardly pay LESS attention to the rest of the DCU.

looks like I will have to buy an issue of WW again. First time in 2 years.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Amazing Member

Maybe after 3 years of Wonder Woman being a mostly secondary character in her own title, she'll actually star in the title.. but with Meredith Finch, who's entire writing career is literally a story for Zenoscope (aka T&A comics).. this doesn't bode well. Wonder Woman is a hard character to get and if experienced professional writers don't really get her, how can a brand new writer who has never really written anything get her?

It's pretty clear DC has just given up on Wonder Woman. They threw her off to Azzarello when the new 52 began who made her supporting character in a dull Greek drama horror crap. He didn't get a single concept about Wonder Woman right except for the she loves everyone idea and.. that's made her come across often as stupid or just too naive while also trying to make her into the penultimate Warrior (that has to have men do all the real work while she fights the villain of the day). Meanwhile in Justice League, she was playing 5th wheel and not doing much of anything except acting like a homicidal maniac. Then they announce Superman/Wonder Woman where they do a whole comic starring Superman with Wonder Woman as his girlfriend. In that, she acts like she's the best there is, but often can't do anything right instead.. once again having Superman save the day as she fights.. Superman's villains and deals with Superman's stuff and sits around talking, thinking, and breathing all about Superman.

Now we have this.. I knew DC didn't care about the character, but this is just getting ridiculous. Bring in someone with some experience. If you want a woman writer, hire a woman that's done tons of indy stuff. There are a bunch I'm sure that would LOVE to work on Wonder Woman.

Spectacular Member

This will be the first time I've cared to start reading a Wonder Woman solo.
    Hank Pym: You're taking over? Come on, give me one good reason why—
    Iron Man: Three words. You're. Hank. Pym.

Well chalk another one up to BC, credit where credit is due.

My opinion remains the same as when the rumor came out. More than fine with David as long as he stays on schedule. As for Meredith, a little concerned with the lack of credits but otherwise willing to give her a shot. Everyone cries they want new talent. Everyone cries they want more women talent. Here we have it.

Extraordinary Member

The frustrating thing about Wonder Woman is NOT that she is difficult to write.

It's that she's actually pretty easy to write and yet so many people make it look like quantum physics in Sumerian.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    That's your opinion. Certainly not mine.
    This whole forum is based on opinions.

However, I think it's pretty safe to say that most women couldn't bend themselves to such a position without damaging their spines, so I wouldn't exactly call the art realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Also? Superman in Diana's book at long last? Pleeeease?
    Why do people need this? We've already got an entire book based on that, why can't Wonder Woman have her own little world without other superheroes intruding?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Well, I was hoping this wasn't gonna pan out to be true. My hopes for Parker, Soule or Lemiere have been dashed.

On the one hand, I'm eager for a change in direction for this book. Azzarello and Chiang have gotten pretty stale for me. But on the other, Meredith Finch is such an untested wildcard that I'm dreading how bad this could be. I'm not as down on her husband's art as some others, but I'm not wild over it either. The fact that he's likely going to have input on plot direction is worrisome too.

The break from mythology and the emphasis on the Amazons is what I like to hear though. Hopefully this means Steve and Etta will be making their way back to the main book, along with Cheetah and the rest of the classic villains. I'm just a little worried about them being delivered straight into the arms of the Finches. So I guess I could say I'm "cautiously optimistic" about this.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    The frustrating thing about Wonder Woman is NOT that she is difficult to write.

It's that she's actually pretty easy to write and yet so many people make it look like quantum physics in Sumerian.
    She literally is the most difficult character to write.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Incredible Member

Although I do like Finch's art, I just don't think it fits into a book like Wonder Woman, especially with the same colorist he was using in Forever Evil. I'll pick this book up regardless of who the artist is though. I've never read anything written by Meredith Finch so I've no idea how she'll do but I'm looking forward to this with hopeful optimism.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I also think it's a huge plus that Meredith is drawing inspiration from the Lynda Carter version of the character. In all of my years, I've never seen a more respected version of the character with the sole exception of Marston's original take.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Well chalk another one up to BC, credit where credit is due.

My opinion remains the same as when the rumor came out. More than fine with David as long as he stays on schedule. As for Meredith, a little concerned with the lack of credits but otherwise willing to give her a shot. Everyone cries they want new talent. Everyone cries they want more women talent. Here we have it.
    BC is actually surprisingly accurate when it comes to the New 52.
    They predicted the Superman/Wonder Woman couple, Diggle on Action Comics, Diggle leaving AC, Romita jr on Superman, the Evil Month.....
    Anyway, looks like cr.p (I hate David Finch, his grimdark colors, his complete lack of storytelling, his musclebound men and his litteraly spineless women with huge ass and boobs put in random directions....), and written by a woman who had a body work of one comic.
    This is most likely going to suck.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    This whole forum is based on opinions.

Hey! We agree on something!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    Why do people need this? We've already got an entire book based on that, why can't Wonder Woman have her own little world without other superheroes intruding?

Some of us don't see it as "intruding". An occasional guest appearance by Superman, the Flash, or Hal Jordan would be cool from time to time. I'm more so excited that the Greek myth focal point will finally be put to rest.

You've said in the past that you're reading the book for the current supporting cast and not for Wonder Woman herself and with Azz killing off a good portion of the current cast, you most likely wouldn't continue reading the book once he left regardless of who took over.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.