Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Neither of them have any characterisation. That's the problem.
    They have characterization.

Soule's Diana is strong, compassionate, and independent. She's trying to make her new relationship work and is trying to overcome the cultural and philosophical differences that separate her and Superman.

Johns' Diana is an arrogant barbarian who believes that the answer to all of life's problems is "Stab it repeatedly in the face." What she'll ever do if she encounters the problem of a facial wound? I'm afraid to even contemplate.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

As long as Azzarello/Chiang can give it a good ending, I'll be fine! Won't continue on this new run, it sounds like they're tying Diana closer to the DC Universe, which I don't really care about. Also not really feeling that art, I know it's only one image so might be judging too soon, but her spine looks weirdly contorted to me. Besides, I've been looking for a reason to cut down on Big 2 books... However I do wish the Finches good luck on filling the big shoes of Azz/Chiang! Hope it'll be a fun comic for the Wondy fans!!
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I like that they claim they're "going to try to attract that female market," and go about that by getting one of the most un-female friendly artists out there to do it. But I guess this is DC's plan to get Wonder Woman to align back up with the rest of the DC Universe stuff.

I give it one trade's worth of issues before the delays start pouring in, though.
    lol that is ironic, Finch art is not female friendly like Chiang art.

Now they will completely depart from mythology, that was working out very well for her character.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    Been reading Wonder Woman since 2012. I can honestly say I have never understood this criticism.

I think this stems from the fact that there have been several issues of Azz's run in which Wonder Woman appeared in less than half(and a few in less than a third) of the book.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

First off, looks like that article was right in calling the creative team. My apologies.

Second, what's with the fifth grade language?

As for the direction, It's nice that some of the long time fans will get a direction/team more to their liking. From the looks/sound of it, I'm guessing I will be out after one or two issues.

All-New Member

Been reading Wonder Woman since 2012. I can honestly say I have never understood this criticism.
    Apparently focusing on building the world around the character means it's not about the character anymore :P I guess they all need Lobdell-esque thought bubbles very other panel to tell them what the character is experiencing.

It's a shame that DC's best book is being handed off to a complete newcomer, and the man responsible for bringing us One-Face. Even from the cover you can tell the direction the book is going to go. An overly sexualized Wonder Woman drawn in a ridiculous pose and in a very generic style. Gone is the unique, subtle artwork from Chiang that harkened back to the Greek style. The rich cast of characters and intricate storyline created by Azzarello is also probably gone, to be replaced by generic superhero fodder.

Ah well, we had a good run. Hats off to Azzarello and Chiang for bringing us a masterpiece. If the new team fails, hopefully Soule can continue to appease us.

Amazing Member

Yeah.. because the story is totally about Wonder Woman. We know so much about her.. She has HUGE earth shattering reveals dropped on her and we spend.. absolutely NO TIME exploring those in any way. We have no clue still how she became Wonder Woman, what her mission is, why she does what she does, who she is, how she never knew anything about the Amazon rape/murder raids despite apparently growing up around other kids (so much so that people hoped it wasn't true for years.. and it was revealed it is), where did her lasso come from, why is she living in London, what does she feel about her Gods in general or specific especially now that she's one of them? How did she meet Steve? How did he get off the island of murdering rapist Amazons? Why was Diana allowed to leave? Why is she doing ANY OF THIS?
    Instead.. we know a ton about all the faux Greek Gods and their interplay. We know Orion saves the day whenever she's in trouble.. and she can shoot weapons out of her bracelets for no reason. We know she gets more powerful without her bracelets, but why is not explained or why before that reveal she took them ff without any problems? We don't know.. well anything about her at all, really. We know all this about the drama and the Gods and Zola, but so much of WHO Wonder Woman and Diana are? Complete mysterious after 3 YEARS!

Not to mention the number of times she's barely in the comic..
    Last edited by JanArrah; 06-30-2014 at 03:46 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    They have characterization.

Soule's Diana is strong, compassionate, and independent. She's trying to make her new relationship work and is trying to overcome the cultural and philosophical differences that separate her and Superman.

Johns' Diana is an arrogant barbarian who believes that the answer to all of life's problems is "Stab it repeatedly in the face." What she'll ever do if she encounters the problem of a facial wound? I'm afraid to even contemplate.
    Soule write a dependent girlfriend that accepts everything clark said to her do. and is violent even when she doesn't need

I understand that Azz and Chiang's run are going to be hard to top, but can we at least wait until one issue comes out before totally bashing it?
    Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share -- I'll never stop fighting. Ever.
    -Superman, Action Comics #775

Astonishing Member

This has been news for a while, but seriously, good luck to them.

I'm pretty sure WW won't make the cut for me, once Azz/Chiang are done, and I can see it getting a little more mainstream, a little less insular and "niche" in that way that allowed Azz to do whatever he wanted. I'm sure the designwork going into characters will be less my cup of tea. The thought of Carter's influence and a more metropolitan Diana interacting with the world and Paradise Island and less "her crazy family" should be cool.

But I really do wish them good luck, like the notion of a wife/husband creator duo on a WW title, and a year from now if I get that good word of mouth, who knows, right? Never say never.

I'll have Sensation to tide me over, I think. And obviously Soule/Daniel SS/WW. And probably JL.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I'd like to say I read this thread believing there wouldn't be more complaints about Superman/Wonder Woman...

Regarding Finch's art, I'm just going to say Wonder Woman has a case of lordosis and call it a day.

Could someone kindly point out anything that Meredith Finch has written?

Finally, I'll be sad to see Azz go (Chiang's art sometimes seemed to lack a third dimension; perhaps the colorist should be blamed?), but the book is crawling the past two issues.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    The frustrating thing about Wonder Woman is NOT that she is difficult to write.

It's that she's actually pretty easy to write and yet so many people make it look like quantum physics in Sumerian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    She literally is the most difficult character to write.
    IIII x (IIII/n to the power of IIIIIIIIIIII) = y + IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII to the power of IIII / n
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

I can't prove that WW is the "most difficult character to write," but I feel like there's even less consensus on what constitutes a great WW story than there is for other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jphu8414 View Post
    I understand that Azz and Chiang's run are going to be hard to top, but can we at least wait until one issue comes out before totally bashing it?
    Just part and parcel to the way fandom works. The reaction to the announcement of Azz and Chiang three years ago was no better. Probably worse.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Could someone kindly point out anything that Meredith Finch has written?
    Tales from Oz #2: Cowardly Lion.

The only title she has written.

Co-written to be specfic, she just handled the script.

Be afraid, be very afraid.