Default A nice Jesse Santos story fropm Mark Evanier

I always liked Jesse Santos' art. I bought his Dagar of the racks in the 70s. I always thought he was part of the fine Filipino artists who American publishers brought in. Seems there is more to that story. So for other Santos fans...

A story about Santos and his boss at Dell comics.

http://www.newsfromme.com/2016/08/29/chase-3/

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I always liked Jesse Santos' art. I bought his Dagar of the racks in the 70s. I always thought he was part of the fine Filipino artists who American publishers brought in. Seems there is more to that story. So for other Santos fans...

A story about Santos and his boss at Dell comics.

http://www.newsfromme.com/2016/08/29/chase-3/
    Great story! Gold Key is an all-but forgotten name to modern fandom. Those of us who witnessed them could easily find something to love. Those cartoon-based comics were usually pretty entertaining and some rivaled the best of the theatrical cartoons (Barks surpassed it). Oh, what I wouldn't have given to have Super Goof and Junior Woodchuck cartoons, back then (Duck Tales finnally captured the spirit). Their adventure books were fantastic and I read most of them, at one time or another. Turok was always a big favorite, as was Space Family Robinson. Dagar and Samson were always a treat, same with Brothers of the Spear. It was a while before I saw Magnus and Dr Solar (one of the later ones, for Solar, not the better early stories).

The Filipino community produced some fantastic artists and I was lucky to grow up in the 70s, when much of that work was on display.

The article also demonstrates the power of a great editor, something greatly lacking in many comics today. They find the right talent and let them do their job. They don't have to micro-manage things; just find people who will do the books the way you want and let them get to it. No wonder Disney, Warner, Depatie-Freleng and Lantz were happy; those comics were darn good. I'd love to see some "Best of" collections of some of those.

Thanks, cody, I remember those days as well.