Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iceslick View Post
    I don't know why people are complaining about Earth lanterns. Nobody said the kid lantern has to be an Earthling just saying.
    Well that's a good point. There need to be fewer EARTH Lanterns, that's all.

One thing I want to see is for the Central Power Battery to choose the new Lanterns, and for it to sometimes make puzzling choices. Like G'Nort.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 09-10-2016 at 02:19 PM.

Incredible Member

Wow,know it's about GL's but we're talking the pros and cons of super-powered teens and no one has mentioned THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES!?

I didn't know about the MOSAIC kids...so,thanks!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan2013 View Post
    Since Green Lantern Corps (and the rest of the coloured corps in their own ways) are an intergalactic police force, there can't be a teenage lantern because for human age standards the youngest you could be to become a lantern (cop) is 18. Edit: Green Lantern is also referred as an intergalactic military force so I think there could be a teenage lantern (16 at the minimum) but I think the Guardians would not want a child to be in cosmic danger.
    That's a very modern and western-centered thought process.
    Until very recently, teen and even kid soldiers weren't rare. Places like Africa still have young and kid soldiers.
    Modern conscription armies usually recruit young.

There's also the "apprentice" angle. Training someone to take your place and continue the legacy.

I would be down with giving a stripped-down ring to a few brave teens. Maybe every Green Lantern has a apprentice/disciple. They would be backups and future sucessors, and even tackle things that are bellow a full Green Lantern.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

The real question is why does GL need a sidekick? Sidekicks don't work well these days because what kid or teenager wants to be the sidekick when they could be the hero instead? Personally, I wanted to be someone like Batman growing up, not Robin. I didn't like Robin much till Tim Drake came along and that was because he wasn't joined to the hip to Batman. He had his own cast and life to build him up.

Teen Lantern, can you hear me?
    Teen Lantern, can you see me?
    Are you somewhere up above?
    And do you have fingers on your glove?

It's not a new idea, but I love the thought of Milagro Reyes as a GL. A successor to Guy perhaps. Keep the numbers the same, get a teen lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    The real question is why does GL need a sidekick? Sidekicks don't work well these days because what kid or teenager wants to be the sidekick when they could be the hero instead? Personally, I wanted to be someone like Batman growing up, not Robin. I didn't like Robin much till Tim Drake came along and that was because he wasn't joined to the hip to Batman. He had his own cast and life to build him up.
    I think Green Lantern doesn't really need a sidekick because the franchise has already been able to establish a partner dynamic through the Space Cop setting or through other characters (Tom, Arisia, Kilowog, Fatality, the other Earth GL's, etc.) so that they don't need an official sidekick like other DC heroes have.

Astonishing Member

Generally speaking, I always felt deep down that actual teenaged Green Lantern would have been a great and logical move, and in a way is a bit of missed opportunity when you really think about it.

Having said that, it's rather too late now to have one, I'd say, especially with Simon and Jessica being the resident newbies Green Lanterns.

I love 'em though so I'm good. On top of that, I have Sam Alexander to fill my space-faring young corpsman, so I'm not too fussed at all at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    I think you may just be coming off the notion of "sidekick" being demeaning.

Teacher and apprentice or mentor and mentee are very much sound ideas that make sense in a superhero setting like this. In that sense, instead of thinking in the lines "Why should I be Robin when I can be Batman", it would be better served to go with "I'm apprenticing under Batman as Robin to be my own hero someday" or "I'm training under the best to be the best in my own right".
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 09-28-2016 at 04:29 AM.

I know this is a bit out there but I always thought Tim Drake would be a good Lantern.

BANNED

Baz and Cruz, are going down in flames because there are too many Earth Lanterns, so the smart move now is to add a Kid Lantern?

Not just no, but HELL no!

Let me say this again, and I hope it's finally starting to get through:

You can't solve the problem of having too many Earth Lanterns by creating more Earth Lanterns!
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 09-28-2016 at 07:37 AM.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Let me say this again, and I hope it's finally starting to get through:

You can't solve the problem of having too many Earth Lanterns by creating more Earth Lanterns!
    Wait, hang on, let me just get clarification on that. Are you trying to say that you feel that there are too many Lanterns doing the rounds? If that's right then why haven't you mentioned this before?

And, so's I'm on topic, I've never really focused on the 'sidekick' part of the DCU so a teenage Lantern wouldn't be of too much interest to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Wait, hang on, let me just get clarification on that. Are you trying to say that you feel that there are too many Lanterns doing the rounds? If that's right then why haven't you mentioned this before?

And, so's I'm on topic, I've never really focused on the 'sidekick' part of the DCU so a teenage Lantern wouldn't be of too much interest to me.
    Is that a joke? I've said five hundred times here that there are too many Earth Lanterns.

But if people want to see (non-Earth) Lanterns learning the job, a Lantern Academy comic would fit that bill. And you could use a couple of Earth Lanterns to do the training. (Not Guy though. He ain't no coach. He's a player.) The new Lanterns wouldn't necessarily be young though, but that's a good thing.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 09-28-2016 at 09:17 AM.

BANNED

well what do you know
    YOUNG JUSTICE #1,............................................... . the debut issue of a brand-new series that also introduces new heroes Teen Lantern and Jinny Hex!

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    well what do you know
    YOUNG JUSTICE #1,............................................... . the debut issue of a brand-new series that also introduces new heroes Teen Lantern and Jinny Hex!
    it's way past time. Hopefully this character will be angst-free. We'll see.

Written by Bendis? Doubt it.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman