Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I am frankly stunned at how much I am enjoying this. I love how they have Aquaman literally fighting the idea that he's disrespected, that he's the black sheep of the JL. Black Manta has been awesome.

This exchange made me laugh out loud:

Black Jack: N.E.M.O: Nautical Enforcement of Macrocosmic Order

Manta: Hnh. You people and your acronyms.

Black Jack: Who people?
    Manta: Secret societies. Outlier organizations. Cabals of super villains. Bet you just love to put on your capes, gather around your big table and cackle.

Black Jack: Coming from you thats almost ridiculous.

I don't want to spoil the latest issue (#6) but it continues the quality output of this series. Shockingly, I will be following the Aquaman line.
    "And I'm still of the opinion that actually physically killing him would be more eye-rolling and irritating than anything else; there's no way he'd stay dead, and having three boys who passed just damages the effect of any Batfamily member dying.

At this rate, Alfred should be getting a discount at the funeral homes and half the family must have frequent funeral miles."

-godisawesome, CBR

Mainly following: Batman, Detective, Titans, Green Arrow, Green Lanterns, Flash, Harley Quinn

War Journal Ghost Writer HauntedCastle's Avatar

I finally caved and decided to add Aquaman to my Rebirth pull list (which is now a majority of what I read) and I have to echo what everyone else here has said -- It's really good! I enjoy the art, the writing is brisk and smart, the storyline is interesting, Aquaman's motives and actions make sense, Mera is fun, etc. I've never once read a single issue of Aquaman but after reading the first two issues, I bought all five and can't wait for #6.

Best Rebirth book of the bunch, by far.

I'm enjoying it so much that I'm wondering if I should read the New 52 series and before. The current series is the first time I've followed Aquaman seince the 1990's. Have I missed anything good?
    Give me Brexit or give me death.

Funny how this volume of Aquaman has been even better than the last one (which was good), yet not many people are talking about it. I guess if a book doesn't have "big name" superstar creators like Johns and Reiss on it, then not many people care.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Funny how this volume of Aquaman has been even better than the last one (which was good), yet not many people are talking about it. I guess if a book doesn't have "big name" superstar creators like Johns and Reiss on it, then not many people care.
    SInging praises would get boring after awhile. And while consistent in quality nothing really big has happened. Though I expected more talks on spoilers:
    PS Supes involvement
    end of spoilers,

As for me, I am enjoying this immensely considering I stopped Aquaman after Johns(money issues so I couldn't get the trades yet).
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Read the Rebirth issue, felt it was mediocre and extremely disappointing compared to Goeff John's run.

Maybe it gets better?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I have noticed that, the more people consistently enjoy a book and the better that book is, the less they tend to talk about it .

It also helps if the book isn't trying to controversial for the sake of being controversial and just telling good, solid, stories (I'm looking at you Marvel).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I have noticed that, the more people consistently enjoy a book and the better that book is, the less they tend to talk about it .

It also helps if the book isn't trying to controversial for the sake of being controversial and just telling good, solid, stories (I'm looking at you Marvel).
    Controversial? Like the time Aquaman got raped? Or that time he got his hand chewed off by piranhas?

I agree, this is one of the best and original story arcs of Aquaman that I have ever read
    I have no beef with Vegans

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Read the Rebirth issue, felt it was mediocre and extremely disappointing compared to Goeff John's run.

Maybe it gets better?
    It gets better, still no where near Geoff Johns run though.

It's really entertaining IMO, but not "great".
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 09-13-2016 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

What was so great about Johns' run, except that he wrote Aquaman as a generic, angry badass who was constantly in the middle of big fight scenes, in order to shake off the reputation of a corny guy in a gold fish shirt who rides gigantic sea horses and talks to fish?

Don't get me wrong, I liked Johns' run. It was action packed and fun! But as others have already mentioned, Abnett's run portrays Arthur as a badass AND makes him and his supporting cast and other elements of his book a lot more well rounded and interesting as well.

Moreover, just look how much page time and character development Mera and Manta are getting. It's AWESOME!!!
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 09-13-2016 at 07:12 PM.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

What I thought, too. Read first 4 issues. Not terrible, but I think much more worthy for trade-wait status to me. I'm still really interested in the story. Just not enough to buy the singles.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Mind MGMT, Promethea

I'm such an idiot!

Uhm, sorry, my first post here isn't exactly bright but I just realized Rebirth Aquaman is written by Dan Abnett (of cosmic Marvel fame) and I decided to wait for TPBs? No way, reading all of it tomorrow. Glad to hear you guys are enjoying it so far.

Extraordinary Member

I've had mixed feelings, but this post has encouraged me to try it again.

I've mentioned here and in other threads that I liked this book but found the political stuffy a bit flaky.

However, having sat down with a coffee and read all the issues from the Rebirth oneshot through to #6 I'd like to take it all back! Once I submerged myself in the story it does all hang together pretty well. Initially I found the US Government's response to the destruction of the Atlantean Embassy - revoking it's status and then later arresting Aquaman to be... unlikely at best.

Basically I just needed to to read the story properly - it's all explained quite logically and flows amazingly well. Abnett paces the issues excellently and his dialogue is the strongest point for me. You really get a good sense of optimism tinged with nervousnous as Stubbs talks to Sark at the embassy opening, slickly moving into terror and panic once Black Manta puts his plan into motion. We get Mera and Arthur bickering over how to respond to his capture. Arthur's frustration is tangible - with his fiance, with his position as King of Atlantis and also with Superman and his percieved standing within the Justice League.

Having never read a single Aquaman comic before I finished these six issues with a great sense of who he is, with a depth that surprised me - he's a King, a husband (to be) and a hero - all of these things are touched upon - and make him unique.

The end of the first arc has left me eagerly awaiting the next - even more so as Arthur heads back to Atlantis, of which we've seen little so far. I suspect the N.E.M.O.s plot will become more evident as Aquaman investigates and I don't think we've seen the last of the Chief of Staff Gantry - I've a feeling he has more to do with things than has been revealed so far.

Damn! I haven't even mentioned Black Manta properly... but time is against me... /gush_off