Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What is your favorite Batman run in history?

simple question...well maybe not simple for Batman Aficionados

but you have to just pick one run... what is it?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Oddly enough, I'm not a huge fan of Batman by himself - I'm a Batfamily fan. So my favorite runs are probably either Batman Eternal (for all its flaws, and there are many, it got most what I wanted, and has the ending I like most of most big Batman stories) or The Black Mirror.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Grant Morrison's run with Batman and Son, Batman RIP, and Batman INC being my favorite arcs from his run.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Ok, I cheated and picked two.

Steve Englehart and Marshal Rogers on Detective Comics
    Grant Morrison on Batman
    Hopefully Tom King will be added to this list.

What's weird for Batman is that it's hard for me to think of many long runs by a single author that stand out to me. It seems like Batman lends himself best to stand alone stories, which is probably why books like Legends of the Dark Knight are so great. That and his other media appearances tend to eclipse a lot of the actual comics. The majority of my Batman feels come from B:TAS and the movies.

BANNED

Dixon. But it's not just his work on Batman and Detective Comics, it's that whole era of Bat-Books that he was in charge of. Especially the crossovers that involved multiple titles all written by him and all written well. When I dislike something in modern Batman comics, I always think back to the Dixon years and imagine how much better it would have been under him.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Ok, I cheated and picked two.

Steve Englehart and Marshal Rogers on Detective Comics
    Grant Morrison on Batman
    Hopefully Tom King will be added to this list.

What's weird for Batman is that it's hard for me to think of many long runs by a single author that stand out to me. It seems like Batman lends himself best to stand alone stories, which is probably why books like Legends of the Dark Knight are so great. That and his other media appearances tend to eclipse a lot of the actual comics. The majority of my Batman feels come from B:TAS and the movies.
    Marshal Rogers run is my favorite of alltime, I really thinks it's underrated by Batman fans.

BANNED

For me it was that magical time you had Greg Rucka on Detective Comics, Ed Brubaker on Batman, and the woefully underrated Devin Grayson on Gotham Knights.

Runner up: Grant Morrison on Batman/Batman & Robin/Batman Inc.

Astonishing Member

Easy. Grant Morrison on Batman, Batman and Robin (the highlight) and Batman Incorporated.

Spectacular Member

Grant Morrisons was ridiculously good. When I first read his stuff (started at INC New 52 for some reason, Id been reading comics before that just seemed like a good starting point) I didnt really like it as it was a bit too high brow for me but this run completely changed my perception on him. Son is Ok, Black Glove Is Ok but once you read RIP you will be hooked. From then on the run is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Dixon. But it's not just his work on Batman and Detective Comics, it's that whole era of Bat-Books that he was in charge of. Especially the crossovers that involved multiple titles all written by him and all written well. When I dislike something in modern Batman comics, I always think back to the Dixon years and imagine how much better it would have been under him.
    Probably this. Morrison as well. I like Moench too and Snyder is def in there for me. Dixon if I had to pick one tho. That 90s ****
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

They often get overlooked, but the Adventures books from 1992-2004 (Batman Adventures / Batman and Robin Adventures / Gotham Adventures / Batman Adventures vol 2) were an outstanding run of comics. I've slowly been working my way thru re-reading these this year and I'm enjoying every issue. Great done in one stories, plus excellent "less is more" artwork. I've finished my re-read of Gotham Adventures so next up is Batman Advs vol 2.

For the "main" Batman comics, I'd go with Morrison's entire run from from 2006-2013.
    Post CBR reboot join date: May 2014, Pre CBR reboot join date: April 2005
    Official DC message boards join date (as Batman Fan 31593): April 2000

Quote Originally Posted by kevink31593 View Post
    They often get overlooked, but the Adventures books from 1992-2004 (Batman Adventures / Batman and Robin Adventures / Gotham Adventures / Batman Adventures vol 2) were an outstanding run of comics. I've slowly been working my way thru re-reading these this year and I'm enjoying every issue. Great done in one stories, plus excellent "less is more" artwork. I've finished my re-read of Gotham Adventures so next up is Batman Advs vol 2.
    The ones based off the cartoons? I really enjoyed the issue where Bruce is shown what the world would be like if he never became Batman.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kevink31593 View Post

For the "main" Batman comics, I'd go with Morrison's entire run from from 2006-2013.
    Yeah these are great too. Ridiculously underrated.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

How many issues does it take to count as a run? Can it be 4 issues? If so, it's 'Year One' without a doubt. If it has to be more lengthy then it's Morrison/Various & Snyder/Capullo.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Archie Goodwin's Detective run. And, yes, that's a strong enough presence on a book to count as a run, as far as I'm concerned. Those 100 page giants had it all, and it was all quality.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)