Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Image solicits February 2017 - The Old Guard, Sun Bakery, Planetoid Praxis, etc.

These have been out for a week or so now, but I figured some people might want a thread on it anyway!
    See here for the CBR link, or you can use Image's own website here if you buy your comics that way.

OldGuard-01_cvr_195_300_90.jpg SunBakery-01_cvr_200_300_90.jpg PlanetoidPraxis-01_cvr_195_300_90.jpg

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Looking at these solicits, I kind of feel justified in myself choosing to just drop the majority of Image comics and just kind of leave the company alone. I'm looking at all of these titles and they just blur together. Besides Sex Criminals, there's nothing here that looks remotely fun, upbeat, or has a sense of joy or hope to it. It like no one at Image knows how to tell a story that's not super serious or can have a unique tone to it.

Honestly, Image is just boring right now. Nothing they're putting out is screaming, you must read this or this is super big and you need to get in on it. Not even the Rucka book... I just don't know why.

Black Science #28
    Descender #19
    Drifter #17
    East of West #32
    Southern Bastards #18

My Image pull list is dwindling as well. Once the books that I'm reading end, I'm not sure I'll be picking up more from Image. I'm just not interested in any of the new stuff they've been putting out.

On break: Lazarus, LOW
    Last edited by cc008; 11-29-2016 at 08:48 AM.

I don't have the time to read a lot of comics these days, but I think there is a lot of good stuff from Image to look forward to, both old and new series.

The layout, with the insanely big cover images, is really annoying (still), and taking the joy out of looking at the comics to look forward to.

EDIT: Forgot to add some stuff that has me interested!
    1. The Belfry - I really like the look of Invisible Republic, but haven't yet gone back to read all the issues. This being a one-shot means a much more self-contained story which I prefer over long series.
    2. Sun Bakery - so I'd never heard of this, but it has a cool cover, contains several different stories, and is an anthology. With Island Magazine missing in February (what gives?), this can step in to fill its place. Anthologies have been my main source of comics fun for a while now.
    3. Sex Criminals - this is a welcome return imo, it's a funny series with wacky plots.
    4. the Snotgirl trade - gonna be handing this to non-comic readers as holiday gifts.
    [End of EDIT]

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Looking at these solicits, I kind of feel justified in myself choosing to just drop the majority of Image comics and just kind of leave the company alone. I'm looking at all of these titles and they just blur together. Besides Sex Criminals, there's nothing here that looks remotely fun, upbeat, or has a sense of joy or hope to it. It like no one at Image knows how to tell a story that's not super serious or can have a unique tone to it.

Honestly, Image is just boring right now. Nothing they're putting out is screaming, you must read this or this is super big and you need to get in on it. Not even the Rucka book... I just don't know why.
    I can see where you're coming from yeah. It's interesting too because this surely has to be a perception issue right? I mean they launched/are launching high-profile, fun stuff like Motor Crush and Snotgirl. Also that Sun Bakery cover looks very upbeat manga-esque. But even those more lighthearted titles don't appear to use it as a selling-point right now. And if they do it feels like it's perhaps not quite unique enough? Take Motor Crush - it will surely be cool, but it looks very Batgirl and is launching in a market where Motor Girl also just launched, The Humans was around a few months ago... And there's even more serious motorcycle stories like Tokyo Ghost and I guess Ghost Rider maybe. It'll be cool for sure but doesn't feel like a "must-have, utterly unique" thing on the surface, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Besides Sex Criminals, there's nothing here that looks remotely fun, upbeat, or has a sense of joy or hope to it. It like no one at Image knows how to tell a story that's not super serious or can have a unique tone to it.
    Casanova is all of those things, but no one buys it. (It's also absent this month)

People are pitching and publishing what is selling. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the tone a lot of readers want. At least in the eyes of the creators and publishers. That's my guess, anyway.

Birthright #22
    Black Road #7
    Black Science #28
    Curse Words #2
    Drifter #17
    East of West #32
    Kill or be Killed #6
    Manifest Destiny #26
    Monstress #10
    Moonshine #5
    Motor Crush #3
    Nailbiter #29
    The Old Guard #1
    Revival #47
    Paper Girls #11
    Shutter #27
    Southern Bastards #18
    Spread #19
    Surgeon X #6
    Violent Love #4
    The Walking Dead #163
    The Walking Dead #164
    The Wicked + The Divine #26
    Last edited by sven; 11-29-2016 at 11:38 AM.

I'll be getting Kill or Be Killed #6, and that's it for monthlies. I'll get Outcast TP Vol. 4 and I'd like the Velvet Deluxe too. I keep hoping to see an Autumnlands Deluxe and a Spread Deluxe, but my wait continues!
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Mighty Member

While DC is looking a bit empty for me in February, I can't complain about getting to read Moonshine #5, Southern Bastards #18, Paper girls #11 and 3 Floyds: Alpha King #5

My likely reading list:

1. The Old Guard #1
    2. The Walking Dead #163
    3. Invincible #133
    4. Outcast #25
    5. The Beauty #12
    6. Sex Criminals #16
    7. Birthright #22
    8. Black Science #28
    9. Curse Words #2
    10. Green Valley #5
    11. Horizon #8
    12. Kill or be Killed #6
    13. Manifest Destiny #26
    14. Monstress #10
    15. Nailbiter #29
    16. Postal #18
    17. Reborn #5
    18. Revival #47
    19. Southern Bastards #18
    20. Spread #19
    21. Surgeon X #6
    22. The Walking Dead #164
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    [...] and 3 Floyds: Alpha King #5
    Oh wow you're reading this?! PLEASE tell us what it's like! I'm not kidding, this title sounds so bizarre I can't help but be interested. A Warcrafty looking fantasy epic in just five issues written by... a beer brewing company? So unusual. Is it any good (the comic, not the beer)?

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Whoo! Sex Criminals!

Also, how come I have heard nothing about a brand new Greg Rucka series? I've largely jumped to trades for new Image series, especially as most of them are now $4, but I definitely plan on picking this up in singles. Cool artist too.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Oh wow you're reading this?! PLEASE tell us what it's like! I'm not kidding, this title sounds so bizarre I can't help but be interested. A Warcrafty looking fantasy epic in just five issues written by... a beer brewing company? So unusual. Is it any good (the comic, not the beer)?
    I think it's good fun. Bisley's art is magnificent. Two issues in, third out next week.

While not as balls to the wall outrageous I'd hoped it to be, still very metal and very mental. Has sort of a drunk edge to it. It's first page has a monster who gives a class analysis on Tolkien and then gets pissed on in a face. Main story is about a brewer from Munster who turns into the alpha king, on the quest to save his lady. First stop the topless witch. Latest issue has Gumball the cat and piloting a walking tank cyborg wolf and gunning down a bar full of monsters.

Yet to try their beer!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Also, how come I have heard nothing about a brand new Greg Rucka series? I've largely jumped to trades for new Image series, especially as most of them are now $4, but I definitely plan on picking this up in singles. Cool artist too.
    IKR? How did this sneak up out of nowhere? It sounds great! Anyway! My list:

- Old Guard #1
    - Horizon #8 - I'm surprised that this one's still going, but certainly not displeased!
    - Manifest Destiny #26
    - Monstress #10
    - The Wicked + Divine #26

Arclight TP - Maybe. $15 for 4 issues is more expensive than buying the singles.
    The Hunt TP - Really enjoyed this one.
    Lake of Fire TP
    The Fuse v. 4

"Curse Words" looks fun and absurd, but Soule's storytelling abilities have fallen in my estimation with his recent Marvel stuff. I'll keep an eye on it and probably try the first trade.

They announced Old Guard a couple of months ago.