Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why does Alan Moore hate Grant Morrison

I always found it quite odd that the 2 greatest DC writers, arguably the 2 greatest comic book writers of all time, are very similar

British, both are into magic and the occult...and yet Moore hates Morrison, but Morrison seems to admire Moore

I know Moore is quite grumpy, but he has a great relationship with Neil Gaiman, but Morrison must of said something in the past that really pissed Moore off

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    I always found it quite odd that the 2 greatest DC writers, arguably the 2 greatest comic book writers of all time, are very similar

British, both are into magic and the occult...and yet Moore hates Morrison, but Morrison seems to admire Moore

I know Moore is quite grumpy, but he has a great relationship with Neil Gaiman, but Morrison must of said something in the past that really pissed Moore off
    Pretty sure Gaiman is the exception rather then the rule. Moore hates basically everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Pretty sure Gaiman is the exception rather then the rule. Moore hates basically everyone else.
    So when Garth Ennis contacted Alan Moore recently (about forthcoming Section 8 epic) and the two had an amicable discussion it was a sign of hatred?

I really don't think Alan Moore hates anybody...certainly not everybody in world except Neil Gaiman.

But I do suspect he feels some present DC writers leave something to be desired. Some others share that "strange" belief.

But certainly Alan Moore has expressed annoyance with Grant Morrison a time or three. Basically he believes Grant, early in his career, had a tendency to find out what Alan was working on, then rush out something on same theme.

How justified the annoyance is, I've really no idea.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 08-31-2016 at 12:21 PM.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Basically Moore is just a cranky old fart that can't accept he's not considered the best comic writer of all time by everyone & their mother anymore. Which don't get me wrong, that doesn't change the fact he had some great works in the past, but yea.....

As for why he dislikes Morrison in particular? I honestly have no idea. Maybe he's just jealous that Morrison is a better writer then he is.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Morrison is Scottish.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Morrison was one of the first to publicly state his lack of interest in Watchmen (mainly in a recurring fanzine column where he took on an intentionally over-the-top scathing personality). At the same time, his earliest comics were quite indebted to Moore, with Moore feeling - I think unreasonably - that they indicated Morrison had nothing to him beyond ripping off Moore's aesthetic. This lead Moore to decide Morrison is a thankless charlatan who rips off his comics even as he trashes them, which combined with his prominent relationship with DC, has had Moore referring to him more than once as an essentially talentless hack surviving on leeching off his ideas. That would be why.
    Buh-bye

he did point out that rape is a common theme in Alan Moore's work.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Basically Moore is just a cranky old fart that can't accept he's not considered the best comic writer of all time by everyone & their mother anymore. Which don't get me wrong, that doesn't change the fact he had some great works in the past, but yea.....

As for why he dislikes Morrison in particular? I honestly have no idea. Maybe he's just jealous that Morrison is a better writer then he is.
    Blimey, if he was driven by jealousy wouldn't he be more likely to have poor relations with Neil Gaiman than Grant Morrison?

I always struggle to understand why there is always such an appetite on DC boards to trash a writer who has given so much pleasure to so many over so many years.

Yes he has some eccentric beliefs but he's got bags of integrity, and is essentially harmless.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Blimey, if he was driven by jealousy wouldn't he be more likely to have poor relations with Neil Gaiman than Grant Morrison?

I always struggle to understand why there is always such an appetite on DC boards to trash a writer who has given so much pleasure to so many over so many years.

Yes he has some eccentric beliefs but he's got bags of integrity, and is essentially harmless.

Eh, don't get me wrong I lilke Moore's old DC stuff, it's phenomenal, it's not my intent to trash him, just trying to think of reasons why he wouldn't like a fellow writer. As far as I know Morrison hasn't done anything to intentionally offend the guy, so really I can't imagine why Moore would have any legitimate disdain for Morrison unless it was something petty like Jealousy or somesuch.

And yes I will admit overall I like Morrison's work more then Moore's, but that doesn't mean I dislike Moore or his work, just that outside of his old DC stuff not much of it appeals to me. They are both great writers at the end of the day, just in different ways/styles.
    Last edited by GreenLanternRanger; 08-31-2016 at 12:39 PM.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Fantastic Member

he, morrison, said things like enigma by peter milligan is a better postmodern superhero tale than watchmen because of its depth and based-on-comics humor, which is very true for me but not for the big masses.

also, i think alan moore's silent authority and his self righteous attitudes makes morrison annoyed.

they share the common interest in occult and everything and when you compare the invisibles and promethea, they both great books, but you immediately need to choose one. it is a bit like fights in music: blur vs oasis, suede vs bowie etc. for me, the invisibles is the supreme and sublime, if you ask to.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Alan Moore thinks Grant Morrison ripped him off. Grant Morrison thinks Mark Millar ripped him off.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Alan Moore thinks Grant Morrison ripped him off. Grant Morrison thinks Mark Millar ripped him off.
    Precisely. And no doubt Mark Millar thinks his Aunt Petunia ripped him off, when she published that riveting article on necrophillia in the Little Sodbury Gazette.

But we almost never see threads about Grant Morrison being a grumpy old git.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

One of the things I think that Moore has issues with regarding Morrison is that because of his "Joker Raped Babs in Killing Joke" comments it put that in the public mind when that wasn't his intention at all, nor was the idea that Batman killed the Joker. So I think there's issues with that as well.

Grant doesn't like Miller, Miller has issues, or did, with Brian Azzeleo at some point. I think someone had it in for Ennis too, and I know McFarlane and Gaiman are still at odds with one another. Battles between writers have been happening for YEARS, this is nothing new at all. Writers have egos, and sometimes more so then artist, because of how they perceive the creation of the worlds they make.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by madmodpoetgod View Post
    he, morrison, said things like enigma by peter milligan is a better postmodern superhero tale than watchmen because of its depth and based-on-comics humor, which is very true for me but not for the big masses.
    That is true, though. Enigma is much better than Watchmen, no contest.

BANNED

Why does Keith Richards talk trash about the Beatles, the Who, Creedence and so on? It's professional rivalry.