Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Cool DC Universe Rebirth: Over 12,000,000 Served!

According to Newsarama a total of 12,000,000 Rebirth comics were shipped this summer and according to DC there's no signs of slowing down!
    http://www.newsarama.com/30846-dc-re...is-summer.html
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

May both the quality and sales last for long.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    According to Newsarama a total of 12,000,000 Rebirth comics were shipped this summer and according to DC there's no signs of slowing down!
    http://www.newsarama.com/30846-dc-re...is-summer.html
    As the 90s proved, shipped and sold are two vastly different things. Leaving that aside, as New 52 showed, the initial launch will sell, it's 6 months down the road that matters. Will the audience still be there. Did any new readers come in? Will they stay? Those are the important questions that are yet to be answered.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a healthy DC (and Marvel, and everyone else); I'm just skeptical about statements about product shipped, rather than product sold. To me, a big part of the problem of the American comics industry has too much of a focus on the direct market and not enough on reaching a mass audience. The Direct Market is non-returnable (in most cases); so, for the publishers, shipping a ton of product is good. However, if the retailer can't shift it, he gets weak or goes under (see the 90s again). When you are so focused on a small retail market and it weakens, you are in serious trouble. The future isn't the direct market. At best, it was a band aid on an old wound. It held for a while; but, the wound needs to be treated.

BANNED

29% higher sales than the New 52? Haha yes! I knew this was the right direction for DC. Now they have all the motivation they need to be as Pre-Flashpoint as possible, which is awesome. From now on, they're going to focus on what worked in the past and progress characters naturally instead of how to modernize or reimagine things that didn't need it. Can't wait to see what old stories are restored to canon, they're pretty much obligated to do that now.

As great as this is, I'd like to see some more direct comparisons for Rebirth vs New 52 sales, like for specific titles counting all the reprints. And how many readers those series lost over time during those 2 relaunches.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    29% higher sales than the New 52? Haha yes! I knew this was the right direction for DC. Now they have all the motivation they need to be as Pre-Flashpoint as possible, which is awesome. From now on, they're going to focus on what worked in the past and progress characters naturally instead of how to modernize or reimagine things that didn't need it. Can't wait to see what old stories are restored to canon, they're pretty much obligated to do that now.

As great as this is, I'd like to see some more direct comparisons for Rebirth vs New 52 sales, like for specific titles counting all the reprints. And how many readers those series lost over time during those 2 relaunches.
    ha, probably not going to happen. I find the people who LOVED the New 52 would regularly post charts and statistics on New 52 vs Pre Flashpoint sales. Those people have been relatively quiet about Rebirth's sales stats. Personally I am spending too much on comics since Rebirth. I bought every title of New 52 when it started and slowly dropped them. The month before Rebirth you could count the number of DC books I was buying on a bad woodshop teacher's hand.
    I have no beef with Vegans

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    ha, probably not going to happen. I find the people who LOVED the New 52 would regularly post charts and statistics on New 52 vs Pre Flashpoint sales. Those people have been relatively quiet about Rebirth's sales stats. Personally I am spending too much on comics since Rebirth. I bought every title of New 52 when it started and slowly dropped them. The month before Rebirth you could count the number of DC books I was buying on a bad woodshop teacher's hand.
    Sigh why wouldn't they still post it? you do realize that its still the same Universe with older elements being reintroduced not older Universe with newer elements being introduced.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52