Robinlefty

Default Looking for more information about a specific 1950s comic book

I remember reading a comic book in the 1950s about a man who had incredible bad luck. I believe he was even falsely accused of a crime and went to prison. I turned out that because he was a man of such good character, not turning on others, always kind and gentle, etc., that he ended up being selected by an alien civilization as their leader. The theme was something like that.

It was as if the Earth was a testing ground for its inhabitants, and for finding those who, in spite of their dire circumstances, became better and better people. And this alien race was using the problems on Earth as a way to bring to the surface those who had the best characters.

Does anyone know of such a comic book? I'm nearly 70 years old, yet this particular comic book's theme has stuck with me for 60+ years of my life. I've psychologically used the theme of that specific comic book many times when my life seemed so difficult -- I would remind myself that my difficulties were themselves ways of testing me and honing my character. It has been so helpful over the years and I would like to find out more about that comic book.

Thanks

Robinlefty

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robinlefty View Post
    I remember reading a comic book in the 1950s about a man who had incredible bad luck. I believe he was even falsely accused of a crime and went to prison. I turned out that because he was a man of such good character, not turning on others, always kind and gentle, etc., that he ended up being selected by an alien civilization as their leader. The theme was something like that.

It was as if the Earth was a testing ground for its inhabitants, and for finding those who, in spite of their dire circumstances, became better and better people. And this alien race was using the problems on Earth as a way to bring to the surface those who had the best characters.

Does anyone know of such a comic book? I'm nearly 70 years old, yet this particular comic book's theme has stuck with me for 60+ years of my life. I've psychologically used the theme of that specific comic book many times when my life seemed so difficult -- I would remind myself that my difficulties were themselves ways of testing me and honing my character. It has been so helpful over the years and I would like to find out more about that comic book.

Thanks

Robinlefty
    If nobody here knows, the (on average) older fans on this board could probably help:
    http://classiccomics.boards.net/

It sounds like the kind of thing EC did; but, I don't have that detailed of knowledge about their individual stories, other than the ones that get discussed regularly. It could easily be from DC, Standard, or Ziff-Davis, for that matter, as all had sci-fi comics going, and the twist ending was a common trope (often in imitation of EC). For that matter, Atlas churned out sci-fi comics then, imitating everyone else (though with Kirby and Ditko on art). So, obviously, I'm no help.