Default World War HULK certificate explination

Disclaimer... I am a Marine so excuse the stupid questions at times... I found this book in a small LCS bagged but when I unbagged it the comic was bagged and sealed inside and saw this certificate. It states 1 of 10,000, does this mean the 1st one printed? I ask as with printed lithographs this makes a big difference in the value...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Disclaimer... I am a Marine so excuse the stupid questions at times... I found this book in a small LCS bagged but when I unbagged it the comic was bagged and sealed inside and saw this certificate. It states 1 of 10,000, does this mean the 1st one printed? I ask as with printed lithographs this makes a big difference in the value...
    I would assume it was a limited printed variant edition. Whether it will be worth money or not depends on demand for it. When top comics are selling 1 to 200,000 copies, demand can't be that high. And 10,000 sounds like demand was pretty well filled; so, unless you get massive new demand for it, i suspect the value will remain pretty stable or even drop. At best, it will probably only rise at a modest rate.

As the 90s taught us, but the media never seemed to learn, those 1940s comics that fetch huge prices at auction are RARE. They are usually in excellent condition (very rare for a comic from a time when they were disposable reading material) and their numbers are few, as they were disposable. They were rounded up for paper drives, tossed out by mothers, destroyed by reading, etc, etc... Nostalgia created a secondary market for them and when you have sifted through old comics in bad condition, finding one, and a historic one, in good or extremely good condition tends to make people a bit nuts.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    No, I think it just means one of ten-thousand. I've seen certificates where it does give the exact number in the run and usually the printing looks different there, or its hand-written in really small runs. Also note they used all the room. There's not enough space to insert more than a single digit number.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 09-02-2016 at 02:28 PM.