Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The All New Atom, RYAN CHOI Appreciation!!

So I noticed the Ray Palmer Atom has an appreciation thread but Ryan did not! So I decided to make a thread for him!! I'm hoping he gets a Rebirth title, along with Ray and good Rhonda because a great character like Choi should not be stuck in limbo!! Especially when DC lacks male Asian heroes/villains.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

I liked a lot of what Simone tried to do in his solo series with Ivy Town and his supporting characters, but as with many legacy characters, there was a failure to make Choi himself interesting beyond the notion of a new hero inheriting a historic legacy that he didn't create. It's like War Machine in my mind - as great as he was, he didn't invent the technology - the other guy did, so it's an uphill climb in my mind to justify using him as opposed to the original. (reinventing the notion like Jaime with his scarab or Hal Jordan with a new concept for what the GL ring was seems to work better) I liked his relationship with Palmer but there wasn't enough to make me identify with his motivation as a hero. That said, I feel fairly confident he'll get another shot and I'll be interested to check it out, but I'm not clamoring for it.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I liked a lot of what Simone tried to do in his solo series with Ivy Town and his supporting characters, but as with many legacy characters, there was a failure to make Choi himself interesting beyond the notion of a new hero inheriting a historic legacy that he didn't create. It's like War Machine in my mind - as great as he was, he didn't invent the technology - the other guy did, so it's an uphill climb in my mind to justify using him as opposed to the original. (reinventing the notion like Jaime with his scarab or Hal Jordan with a new concept for what the GL ring was seems to work better) I liked his relationship with Palmer but there wasn't enough to make me identify with his motivation as a hero. That said, I feel fairly confident he'll get another shot and I'll be interested to check it out, but I'm not clamoring for it.
    He didn't have a relationship with Palmer, a guy who was the very definition of uninteresting. He thought he did but it was all some kind of mind-fark. Anywho Choi was fun and his relationship with Giganta was terrific.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

The All New Atom was great. In my mind, he's a far better read than Ray. He's a guy who idolized Ray not for being the Atom but also thought the Atom part was pretty cool. His approach to not quite a superhero was pretty original in my book too. His primary motivation wasn't justice, revenge or any of those traditional heroic motivations but he wasn't any kinda anti-hero either. He dealt with a wide variety of fringe phenomenons ranging from the occult-y to way out there sci-fi under the premise of essentially “well, I'm a scientist and I've got this Atom thing going on so I guess I'm the guy to deal with this”. The supporting cast was also fun. Also, and this is just a personal thing but teen heroes generally don't strike a chord with me and never really have. There's something about the idea of a bunch of middle / high school kids doing the sorts of things superheros do and acting the way that they tend to that doesn't sit right with me. It feels like one of those TV teen dramas where a bunch of actors in their 20's are all playing 15 year olds. That said, an individual in their early-mid 20's attempting the superhero lifestyle just feels a lot more right to me and this series did a great job depicting such a thing.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Given the tendency of originals to die, turn evil or be taken out of commission for some other reason, it's not that difficult to come up with a reason for why a new guy might take up the mantle. The number of times Tony's flown off the handle more than justify letting Rhodey pilot the Iron Man armor and even the movies have acknowledged other people besides Tony can make them. Furthermore, given the purpose of such technology is to save lives, sharing it with others rather than hording it to yourself makes more sense.

If anything, it's more unbelievable to not let anyone else use the Atom suit.

Great to see Ryan will be joining the JLA and even get his own one-shot. Really happy for him and looking forward to reading it .

I wonder if the one-shot will deal with what happened to Ray or if that might be one of the storylines in JLA?

Im so happy to have Ryan Choi back!! Kenan can't be the only Asian male superhero running around! This is great news!! I'm excited to see if he'll get a solo series soon or if they'll hold off on that.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Great news for Ryan Choi! Man, DC just can't seem to make a bad move right now!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Im so happy to have Ryan Choi back!! Kenan can't be the only Asian male superhero running around! This is great news!! I'm excited to see if he'll get a solo series soon or if they'll hold off on that.
    Well, Atom(s) was mentioned a while ago as part of the possible "wave 2," so we might see a Ryan/Ray duo Atom book at some point and it may come out of either this one-shot or JLA .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Atom(s) was mentioned a while ago as part of the possible "wave 2," so we might see a Ryan/Ray duo Atom book at some point and it may come out of either this one-shot or JLA .
    That would be amazing news!! Maybe add in a good version of Rhonda Pineda and we can have ourselves a family of Atoms!! Ray, Ryan and Rhonda! Sounds awesome to me

The solicitation for Justice League of America (see the Vixen story on the front page) says that one of the team's destinations will be the Microverse, which suggests to me that Ryan will be part of the team on a rescue mission for Ray.

Between Ryan, Vixen, and Orlando stating he wants to put a gay character on the team, JLoA might wind up being one of DC's most diverse teams out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    The solicitation for Justice League of America (see the Vixen story on the front page) says that one of the team's destinations will be the Microverse, which suggests to me that Ryan will be part of the team on a rescue mission for Ray.

Between Ryan, Vixen, and Orlando stating he wants to put a gay character on the team, JLoA might wind up being one of DC's most diverse teams out there.
    Orlando already has a gay hero on the team. DC has given him The Ray who was revealed as gay by Grant Morrison during Multiversity.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    There is another asian male superhero hero currently running around too in the new super-man book and that's Bat-Man.