All-New Member

Default Penguin Question

I've read, via collected editions, TPBs, purchases and swapping / borrowing, most if not all Batman family books dating back to the late seventies. Two things have always nagged me. The first was pre-crisis / bronze age Selina Kyle deducing Batman's identity. It was never really covered but just sort of happened. The second item, and really what I'm trying to figure out here, was post-crisis / pre-new52 Penguin. In the Legends tie-in issue of 'Tec he was the ex-criminal with the kitschy umbrellas, in love but in violation of parole due to hiring ex-cons. He later lapsed and, as late as Knightfall he was an Arkham inmate, one of the escapees. Possibly even Zero Hour but that may have been an alternate Penguin. Then, suddenly, and seemingly out of the blue, he's a suave(-ish) crime boss who doesn't get his hands particularly dirty and operates a swanky nightclub. I've looked and read and reread everything I could, but cannot seem to find a.) when his first appearance as this iteration in the Ice Berg Lounge was, and b.) how did this transition happen, or was it just a simple pen stroke as it was with the pre-crisis Catwoman and the identity?

BANNED

First time I remember seeing the Iceberg Lounge and swanky crime-businessman Penguin was late in the 90's Animated Series. Maybe it carried over?

I recall the Iceberg Lounge in a 1995 issue of Detective Comics.

Looking at Wikipedia, that issue appears to be the first appearance of that establishment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceberg_Lounge

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I recall the Iceberg Lounge in a 1995 issue of Detective Comics.

Looking at Wikipedia, that issue appears to be the first appearance of that establishment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceberg_Lounge
    Thanks! I vaguely recall that cover. I need to go see if I still have it. I was pretty close in the time frame, post Zero Hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    First time I remember seeing the Iceberg Lounge and swanky crime-businessman Penguin was late in the 90's Animated Series. Maybe it carried over?
    Aha! There was a lot of give-and-take between BTAS and the comics at that time, which led to some great innovations and stories.