Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but other than Steven Seagal, who else from the 90s was considered a real martial artist? I sincerely hope Jean Claude Van Damme wasn't one of them, because none of his shit looked even remotely authentic. Besides, I could have sworn Snipes is an actual martial artist.

Regardless, Snipes really knew how to make it look like he hit people and hit them hard. My friend and I crack up, joking about how we think for sure someone was killed by one of punches Snipes threw while filming. That man looked lethal during his fight scenes.

Personally, I couldn't be happier. If they want to just keep him British, for any future projects, whether it be in the comics or TV/movies, I'd be glad of it.

Snipes is said to be a martial artist but hes not talked about like Vandamne,Siegal,Jet Li,Jackie Chan,chuck norris(maybe not the same generation) etc... not that all those people were created equal but when peple think of them they think martial arts. Snipes you just think actor and tax evasion. But he yea i always felt like he brought raw power to his fight scenes. Just feel like hes underrated in that regard.

But im sure someone who knows more about martial arts will weigh in on Snipes. Cause iono if its martial arts that make his fight scenes compelling or just his style and natural athleticism. I just enjoy his action in most movies.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 09-15-2016 at 09:59 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but other than Steven Seagal, who else from the 90s was considered a real martial artist? I sincerely hope Jean Claude Van Damme wasn't one of them, because none of his shit looked even remotely authentic.
    Authentic things tend to look either very boring or very fake, or both, in a film.

There are a bunch of bona fide martial artists who work/have worked in Hollywood, but the'yd get laughed at if they tried their spectacular film moves for real.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Authentic things tend to look either very boring or very fake, or both, in a film.

There are a bunch of bona fide martial artists who work/have worked in Hollywood, but the'yd get laughed at if they tried their spectacular film moves for real.
    And it has as much to do with the fight choreographer and Directors angles im sure. Your not really hitting the other guy 99% of the time if the director films it at a bad angle it doesnt matter how good u are.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    And it has as much to do with the fight choreographer and Directors angles im sure. Your not really hitting the other guy 99% of the time if the director films it at a bad angle it doesnt matter how good u are.
    Not really. It has to do with practical things not looking very flashy and practical combat moves using the least movement possible. And also movie fights not being subject to the laws of gravity and anatomy and stuff.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    does the 1st cap movie really not get the credit it's due?? i love that movie.
    I think there's just a marginal distinction between people who think it was "meh...good" and "really good."

The first Cap movie is my pick for underrated. I think it's really good.
    Overrated...Avengers. I had to look at Rotten Tomatoes, and yeah, it's not the 2nd best MCU film. Iron Man probably isn't the best, either, to be honest.

Most underrated: HOWARD THE (F*@KING) DUCK!!! That's right - I'll never understand why it was so hated. When you think about it, it hits all the story beats as any Marvel movie PLUS it has a half-naked Lea Thompson! It's a fun flick!

Most overrated: any Iron Man movie that isn't the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    Overrated...Avengers. I had to look at Rotten Tomatoes, and yeah, it's not the 2nd best MCU film. Iron Man probably isn't the best, either, to be honest.
    That's not how Rotten Tomatoes works. It's a review aggregation site, that's all. If a a movie has every critic barely giving a thumbs up, but they all ended up liking it anyway that movie would still have 100%. On the other hand, the Best Picture of the Year could have some negative criticism and thus rank lower. It's only meant to count the number of positive reviews, not just how positively received a movie is. The scores are dependent on comparing critics that liked it vs. the critics who don't. Even just looking at their top movies of all time, the ones with the higher scores does not necessarily mean they're ranked higher on the list.

Most Underrated:
    Captain America: The First Avenger (my personal favorite and, IMO, the best MCU entry)

Most Overrated:
    Iron Man
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Overrated: Captain America: Civil War

Underrated: the Incredible Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    That's not how Rotten Tomatoes works. It's a review aggregation site, that's all. If a a movie has every critic barely giving a thumbs up, but they all ended up liking it anyway that movie would still have 100%. On the other hand, the Best Picture of the Year could have some negative criticism and thus rank lower. It's only meant to count the number of positive reviews, not just how positively received a movie is. The scores are dependent on comparing critics that liked it vs. the critics who don't. Even just looking at their top movies of all time, the ones with the higher scores does not necessarily mean they're ranked higher on the list.
    yeah... people should look at the actual RATING not just the percentage

For instance...

Thor: The Dark Wold... 66% on RT

Man of Steel... 55% on RT

BUTTTTT

Thor: TDW... 6.2/10 RATING

MoS: 6.2/10 RATING

So... two things could have happened here...

1) the people who scared right at the border than had to pick fresh or rotten chose rotten more often for MoS than TDW

2) the people that REALLY liked MoS rated it high... but the other side REALLY hated it and rated it low. so the rating ended up one thing and the RT percentage ended up in the middle (which is roten though). For TDW, the opinions weren't nearly as decisvie... people thought it was good, but nothing special.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Mighty Member

Even though it had some issues, Ant-Man was a solid, well-put movie that offered some fun and wasn't bagged down by MCU continuity. It was a perfect antidote to Age of Ultron.

Overrated? I don't know. The few MCU movies I disliked (AoU, Iron Man 2, Thor: The Dark World) are widely dislike. Maybe Iron Man 3 due to the repetitive plot and villains?
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022