Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Most Underrated/Overrated Marvel Films?

Please presume ALL films based on Marvel characters could be included in this question, not just those in the "Marvel Cinematic Universe".

One other caveat for me; I haven't seen every Marvel film. I've yet to see IM 3, Thor 2, Guardians and Ant Man. So my answers can't factor in those films. Never saw the Garfield Spiderman flicks either.

Anyway, from what I've seen:

MOST UNDERRATED: The Incredible Hulk. Still say Norton was the definitive big screen Banner. Lots of great homages to the TV show, a strong villain in the Abomination, and I really bought the relationship between Banner and Betty. Was it perfect? No way; but it really deserves a better place in history than it's getting, I think.

MOST OVERRATED: Probably the original Avengers. Not that it's a bad film by any means; I liked it and left the theater happy. It's certainly better than the sequel. But when I really think about it, the villains (besides Loki) were remote and hollow, the dialogue was way too "snarky" a la Buffy, and overall it just doesn't stick with me like I thought it would.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    Please presume ALL films based on Marvel characters could be included in this question, not just those in the "Marvel Cinematic Universe".

One other caveat for me; I haven't seen every Marvel film. I've yet to see IM 3, Thor 2, Guardians and Ant Man. So my answers can't factor in those films. Never saw the Garfield Spiderman flicks either.

MOST UNDERRATED: The Incredible Hulk. Still say Norton was the definitive big screen Banner. Lots of great homages to the TV show, a strong villain in the Abomination, and I really bought the relationship between Banner and Betty. Was it perfect? No way; but it really deserves a better place in history than it's getting, I think.

MOST OVERRATED: Probably the original Avengers. Not that it's a bad film by any means; I liked it and left the theater happy. It's certainly better than the sequel. But when I really think about it, the villains (besides Loki) were remote and hollow, the dialogue was way too "snarky" a la Buffy, and overall it just doesn't stick with me like I thought it would.
    I still insist to this day cap 1 is super overated. Like super overated. I dont know about what is underated. I will gonwith hulk as well. Seemed as decent as alot of them.

Do I have to choose only one for each? Because I've got many which I think are overrated and underrated.

those were the things i didn't like about the movie, i didn't like the way norton played banner, betty was even worse and the abomination was rushed. homages to the tv show didn't do much for me as i NEVER liked the tv show.

i liked thor 2 more than most people.

really though when it comes to underrated/overrated it just depends who you talk to.

OVERRATED: Guardians of the Galaxy. It's lazy, it's crude, and it goes out of its way to make the str8, white male lead seem soooooo much kewl-er than the rest of the cast. Horrible villain, and just... ugh. Groot and Rocket are the only good things about it (and Drax is painfully bad). Waste of Glen Close, waste of John C. Reily, and just lazy in concept and attempts to "reference" things. Yuk yuk yuk.

UNDERRATED: Thor 2. Hear me out. YES Natalie Portman is awful (and her continued involvement in the franchise weak) BUT the first half is really good. The attack on Asgard, the concept of the villains, Thor/Loki teaming up, and the death of Rene Russo. Lots of the Marvel films kill people, that is the ONLY time I cared. The concept should have gone further, a world of magic attacked by technology, it could have been really cool. The Earth side (as in the first one) let it down. Hopefully the third, free of Portman and focused on Asgard (with the INCREDIBLE Cate Blanchett) should be the best Thor film to date. The second film isn't a "good" film, but it's a fun film, and gets way too much hate for what it delivers. Loki/Thor stuff is always gold (best villain of any MCU film, by a country mile).
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    UNDERRATED: Thor 2. Hear me out. YES Natalie Portman is awful...
    I'm willing to forgive her since the script didn't give her much to work with, and that she didn't even want to be in it in the first place.

After a lot of thinking, I think I've reached on a conclusion.

Most overrated: X-2: X-Men United
    It's just a mediocre movie overall. And I'm not talking as a comic book movie or x-men movie. This is just a mediocre movie in general. And even worse as a comic book/x-men movie. There is nothing that stands out. The action is disappointing in both quality and quantity. Jean's sacrifice at the end is completely needless. Also, boring in a lot of places.

Most underrated: Spider-Man 3
    Wait, hear me out. Yes, it has problems. Lot's of. Villains are either lame or underdeveloped. Peter/Mary Jane relationship is a mess. Harry's arc is a mess, too. Overall, the movie is a mess. But you know what saves it? Action. Every bit of action is entertaining, solid, creative, exciting and intense. Also humor. And that dancing on the street was intentionally hilarious/awkward by the way.

Overrated Spider Man 2...

Underated... prolly Thor 2. Its seen as a weaker entry to the mcu so it gets all the negative ire of fanboys and gets picked at to death way more than it should.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Most Overrated: Avengers (2012)

Most Underrated: Captain America The First Avenger

does the 1st cap movie really not get the credit it's due?? i love that movie.

Fantastic Member

Overrated: Avengers. It's still good but nowhere near as great as people were making it out to be. The story itself is pretty generic and the villains are mostly forgettable.

Underrated: Blade. People seem to forget that this film was pretty much the first of the modern (read post Burton/Schumacher Batman) superhero movies. Oh, there were other comic based movies (e.g. MIB) but this still kept the superhero film alive until X-Men's release in 2000. The story itself is decent and the world actually feels alive, which a lot of these films struggle with. The acting is mediocre and the cgi isn't the best but it was still a good film that I enjoy re-watching it (which is more than I can say for most of Marvel's stuff).

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Overrated Spider Man 2...
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by chillin'_chillclops View Post
    Most underrated: Spider-Man 3
    Wait, hear me out. Yes, it has problems. Lot's of. Villains are either lame or underdeveloped. Peter/Mary Jane relationship is a mess. Harry's arc is a mess, too. Overall, the movie is a mess. But you know what saves it? Action. Every bit of action is entertaining, solid, creative, exciting and intense. Also humor. And that dancing on the street was intentionally hilarious/awkward by the way.
    The movie flaws are ridiculous, but I have no problem loving it since it has a better Mary Jane than SM2, and the villains are more believable in their physical feats, albeit lackluster arcs (save for Venom, that character is overrated).
    Last edited by Speed Force League Unlimited; 09-03-2016 at 07:20 AM.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Yes.

Yes.

The movie flaws are ridiculous, but I have no problem loving it since it has a better Mary Jane than SM2, and the villains are more believable in their physical feats, albeit lackluster arcs (save for Venom, that character is overrated).
    I despise Mary Jane in SM3. She's completely selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by chillin'_chillclops View Post
    I despise Mary Jane in SM3. She's completely selfish.
    She's worse in SM2.
    Last edited by Speed Force League Unlimited; 09-03-2016 at 01:05 PM.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Fantastic Member

I think Age of Ultron gets too much crap. I liked it.