Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    UNDERRATED: Thor 2. Hear me out. YES Natalie Portman is awful (and her continued involvement in the franchise weak) BUT the first half is really good. The attack on Asgard, the concept of the villains, Thor/Loki teaming up, and the death of Rene Russo.
    Maybe I would have liked the attack on Asgard more if they didn't borrow almost exactly frame for frame the ship ramming into the Jedi temple from the "Deceived" trailer for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

It was lazy, distracting, and ruined the entire sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Overrated is probably Captain America The Winter Soldier. Now that isn't the worst of them, that would probably be The Avengers, but people have seemingly come around to seeing that movie wasn't actually good. But The Winter Soldier, some people act like its the greatest action movie ever made, and don't understand why is wasn't up for all kinds of Oscars.
    Overrated: Totally agree on Winter Soldier. In addition to your reasons, also because it wasn't even a Captain America film, it was a SHIELD film guest-starring Captain America and friends. Its purpose was to hype the TV series, not do any character development whatsoever for either Bucky or Steve and not to show any meaningful interaction between them. Boring and disappointing movie other than the escape from SHIELD headquarters, "on your left," and a few hot Scarjo moments.

Underrated: Guess I am going to go with X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I liked almost all of it, even the bizarro "Deadpool." It is a comic book movie, through and through, with all kinds of comic book moments and comic book characters and almost no signs of trying to be something else like many of these films. I appreciate that and find it entertaining enough to forgive and forget any incidental goofiness.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 09-06-2016 at 12:03 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    Maybe I would have liked the attack on Asgard more if they didn't borrow almost exactly frame for frame the ship ramming into the Jedi temple from the "Deceived" trailer for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

It was lazy, distracting, and ruined the entire sequence.
    Given that those two things aren't framed the same way at all, them being almost exactly frame for frame is quite the feat. It's also not like that trailer for The Old Republic invented **** crashing into other ****.

Incredible Member hedgehogvampire's Avatar

Underrated: Fantastic Four and Iron Man 3. I enjoyed both movies a lot. Maybe because at the time when I first watch them I haven't read any of their comics yet so I couldn't really complain if the characters were off or not, but I still thought that they were good movies. I also thought that the Fantastic Four soundtrack was good too.

I don't think I have an "overrated" Marvel movie. The movies that most people think are overrated are movies that I like a lot so I have no complaints about them.

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehogvampire View Post
    Underrated: Fantastic Four and Iron Man 3. I enjoyed both movies a lot. Maybe because at the time when I first watch them I haven't read any of their comics yet so I couldn't really complain if the characters were off or not, but I still thought that they were good movies. I also thought that the Fantastic Four soundtrack was good too.

I don't think I have an "overrated" Marvel movie. The movies that most people think are overrated are movies that I like a lot so I have no complaints about them.
    You have just won my personal "best username of the year" award.

Spectacular Member

Avengers 1 and 2 are highly overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Overrated: Totally agree on Winter Soldier. In addition to your reasons, also because it wasn't even a Captain America film, it was a SHIELD film guest-starring Captain America and friends. Its purpose was to hype the TV series, not do any character development whatsoever for either Bucky or Steve and not to show any meaningful interaction between them. Boring and disappointing movie other than the escape from SHIELD headquarters, "on your left," and a few hot Scarjo moments.
    With Hydra's involvement, SHIELD was important enough to be a big part.
    But I feel Steve's scenes are enough to fill half the movie, so I don't agree about the feeling you have of the movie.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Overrated: the first Spider-Man movie. It was nice to see him but I didn't think it was anything, ahem, spectacular, just merely average in every regard. The sequel blew it out of the water.

Underrated: Ang Lee Hulk. I appreciate that it's one of the more character-driven Marvel movies out there, and Ang Lee's indie approach, in hindsight of the comic book movie boom, is a retroactive breath of fresh air at a time when DC and Marvel are trying their best to outright adapt comic book storylines to film.

Overhated: Iron Man 2. Sure, it's the weakest of the IM movies and it feels overstuffed, but I also feel like it's more coherent and better directed than a couple other MCU movies.

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    You have just won my personal "best username of the year" award.
    Cool, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Overrated: the first Spider-Man movie. It was nice to see him but I didn't think it was anything, ahem, spectacular, just merely average in every regard. The sequel blew it out of the water.

Underrated: Ang Lee Hulk. I appreciate that it's one of the more character-driven Marvel movies out there, and Ang Lee's indie approach, in hindsight of the comic book movie boom, is a retroactive breath of fresh air at a time when DC and Marvel are trying their best to outright adapt comic book storylines to film.

Overhated: Iron Man 2. Sure, it's the weakest of the IM movies and it feels overstuffed, but I also feel like it's more coherent and better directed than a couple other MCU movies.
    I totally agree with Iron Man 2 being over hated. Personally I liked all of the Iron Man movies around the same. I thought it was a fun and enjoyable movie. And the complaints that I do have with the movie is the same as the other two Iron Man movies, which is that the villians were on the weak side.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    This makes no sense whatsoever.

1) Winter Soldier sabotaged the Agents Of SHIELD series by forcing it to a) stick to the plot of the movie, which the show runners didn't even know about when they pitched the show, and by forcing the first 2/3rds of the first series to remain in a holding patterns, where not a lot could happen, which cost them a lot of viewers and is still hurting them now as the show's reputation never really recovered from that early season 1.

2) If Winter Soldier was supposed to promote the tv series then there would have been characters from the tv series in Winter Soldier.

3) Winter Soldier ends with SHIELD no longer existing. That is not really very good promotion for an Agents Of SHIELD series.

BANNED

Sitwell did show up in Agents of SHIELD. The movie acts like Sitwell is such a well known character that it doesn't even set up anything with him, and he's kind of important to what's happening for about the first half of the movie. The only way you'd know (or even care) who he is is if you watch AoS, or kept watching the DVD extras he showed up in.

Overrated:
    Spider-Man 2 -- While it is a great adult Spider-Man movie, some REALLY bad audio edits and dubs as well as MJ just wasn't ... MJ, make it overrated for me.
    The Wolverine -- The minor and major plot holes demonstrate how thin the plot actually is.
    Winter Soldier -- It started off with the tone of being a thinking-man/spy/espionage superhero movie but for every attempt at tension, romance, intrigue, drama, angst and even sexual tension they drop the ball by defaulting to bad humor, explosions, or CGI fights. It's a fun film but it's far from cerebral.

Underrated:
    Incredible Hulk -- Norton delivers an amazing Banner and the film is actually different when compared to the other MCU films to date. My only knock would be that it runs with a mirrored villain. It also handles the origin in the opening credits which was fun and different.
    X-Men -- Lots of people think X2 was the best X-Men film but I still think the first one is the best.
    Blade -- There would be no MCU without the success of this film. People tend to forget about its significance to the current superhero movie trend.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Sitwell did show up in Agents of SHIELD. The movie acts like Sitwell is such a well known character that it doesn't even set up anything with him, and he's kind of important to what's happening for about the first half of the movie. The only way you'd know (or even care) who he is is if you watch AoS, or kept watching the DVD extras he showed up in.
    He shows up in 3 episodes (7, 15, and 16) and has not even 5 minutes of screen time. And would not be missed if he was completely left out. He had no role in those stories beyond generic Level 7 Agent. No, he was put in the series to promote the film. "Hey everybody, look, the guy who's going to have a minor part in Winter Soldier is on Agents Of SHIELD, please watch it."

Oh, and he was in Thor, The Avengers, and two of the one-shots before he was in Agents Of SHIELD or Winter Soldier.
    Last edited by Carabas; 09-09-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Overrated:
    The Wolverine -- The minor and major plot holes demonstrate how thin the plot actually is.
    Is that even praised? I see it mostly received lukewarm reception.
    Hardly anyone compliments it.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage