Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Spider Man single father? Opinion

Who thinks it would make for an interesting story, if in Spider-Man, Peter became a single father, rising a child by himself, and having to take responsability of another human being, I think it would be what would finally take to make Spider-Man mature more, and make new stories, besides the posibility of one day someone take the mantle from his father but in Earth-616, but also please add who you would be picture as the mother of the child and why, or how it could add to the stories of Spider-Man.

Current ASM writer Nick Spencer based his Ant-Man run entirely around the premise and mantra of "superhero single dad," in case you want to see what a Marvel comic about that would be like.

The other father should be Johnny.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Thumbs up

If those in charge of Marvel are worried a marriage will age Spidey then there is no way in hell they'll give him a kid to raise. Besides current Pete couldn't afford a pet let all own a child.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

You know Spider-Man PS4 actually does seem to set Peter up in a role as a father figure. Like after Miles' Dad dies in the game, Peter becomes like a surrogate Dad to him. The DLC has these phone conversations between them and Peter starts using a "dad voice" with Miles. Miles still has his mother Rio of course, but it's like Peter is playing the same role for him that George Stacy, Robbie Robertson, and other surrogate Dads did for him in the comics.

As for single Dad...see Peter could be Spider-Man and married. It happened for 20 years. Married-with-kids, difficult but not impossible....I am all for Peter and Spider-Man aging and taking new challenges and responsibilities, but I don't think you should go for the extreme version of that.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 12-28-2018 at 10:00 PM. Reason: change

Sadly I think he would be shown to be a neglectful father, always missing his kids stuff cause he is saving the world. Eventually the kid being taken from him and placed into foster care.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Spectacular Member

The main idea I have about Peter being single father is that it force him to be grounded, most of the time Peter self harm his own life, most of the time he sacrifices himself for others, but with a child it would force him to be there for his child, also there is many themes it could touch, like Peter having to make a effort for his child to live so his child doesn't live fatherless like he did, or the different of how his uncle cose to take the responsability to raise Peter, but Peter will have to learn that he can't simply try to be like uncle Ben and find his own way to raise his child, also in many worlds there is the idea of a married Peter, being a family man, but if something happened his child still has his mother, as a single father Peter would be force to put both his child and himself above everything, he could ask for help to his friends, but most of the time he will have to rely on himself, also having to being forced to make a effort in find in a job, and being the onli examine for his child, instead of sharing the responsability with his couple, all the responsability will be his ans his alone, besides at different of many heroes, he will rely most on himself and a smal circle of friends.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathangoop1811 View Post
    The main idea I have about Peter being single father is that it force him to be grounded, most of the time Peter self harm his own life, most of the time he sacrifices himself for others, but with a child it would force him to be there for his child, also there is many themes it could touch, like Peter having to make a effort for his child to live so his child doesn't live fatherless like he did, or the different of how his uncle cose to take the responsability to raise Peter, but Peter will have to learn that he can't simply try to be like uncle Ben and find his own way to raise his child, also in many worlds there is the idea of a married Peter, being a family man, but if something happened his child still has his mother, as a single father Peter would be force to put both his child and himself above everything, he could ask for help to his friends, but most of the time he will have to rely on himself, also having to being forced to make a effort in find in a job, and being the onli examine for his child, instead of sharing the responsability with his couple, all the responsability will be his ans his alone, besides at different of many heroes, he will rely most on himself and a smal circle of friends.
    It sounds to me you are more interested in the idea of a character being a single father then Spider-Man specifically. I mean the story of Peter being grounded to raise his kids has been done in Spider-Girl and Renew Your Vows. It's clear that should Peter become a father or Dad, he'd legitimately give up being Spider-Man or at least retire to be there for the kid. That's what the Clone Saga was all about. Him being a single Dad on top, i.e. a widower, would be too sad. We have that story, it's Spider-Man Reign...and it's hopelessly bad.

The idea of Peter caring for someone of his family with limited stuff. That was done with Aunt May...

I mean you can have Peter continue to be Spider-Man as a married man. That did happen for 20 years. But as a single dad, unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Sadly I think he would be shown to be a neglectful father, always missing his kids stuff cause he is saving the world. Eventually the kid being taken from him and placed into foster care.
    Yeah, single dad Peter would no doubt become a Greek tragedy. Peter has suffered enough already spoilers:
    including the new Spiderverse movie
    end of spoilers I have no interest in seeing him suffer more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Yeah, single dad Peter would no doubt become a Greek tragedy.
    His son/daughter would become a supervillain and kill him? That's how things roll in greek tragedies.

Keep it to AU.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    His son/daughter would become a supervillain and kill him? That's how things roll in greek tragedies.
    I know and yes, probably (see Spider-Man Reign) that's what would happen. Sadly, I'm not joking.

It would change the dynamic of the series way too much.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

The problem is I just can't see Peter Parker continuing as Spider-Man if he had to raise a kid on his own. If he had a child with a partner, he could probably rationalize it away: "If I get killed by Hydro-Man, I know my child would be capably-raised by Mary Jane/Felicia/whoever". But if it was a solo parent situation, and something were to happen to him, who's getting that kid? Elderly, one-foot-in-the-grave Aunt May? One of May's wacky nieces? Peter's sister Teresa, who definitely has people trying to kill her?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    One of May's wacky nieces?
    Aunt May has wacky nieces. Didn't know about this? But yeah I agree.

See in theory, Peter in his teenage to young age was a provider and caregiver for his Aunt May. So being in that role (provider and caretaker) and having family is a part of who he is. But an elderly Aunt who is tougher than she seems and can take care for herself and who later gets engaged (to Dr. Ock...ugh...Nathan Lubensky, and then Jameson's Dad) still allows him to be Spider-Man. Him being married in a two-income household to a woman who knows and loves him but whose line work is a little apart from his life and so on...that works too, indeed that's why being married to Mary Jane specifically allowed him to continue being Spider-Man. But a young child with nobody else other than Peter...yeah that doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    The problem is I just can't see Peter Parker continuing as Spider-Man if he had to raise a kid on his own. If he had a child with a partner, he could probably rationalize it away: "If I get killed by Hydro-Man, I know my child would be capably-raised by Mary Jane/Felicia/whoever". But if it was a solo parent situation, and something were to happen to him, who's getting that kid? Elderly, one-foot-in-the-grave Aunt May? One of May's wacky nieces? Peter's sister Teresa, who definitely has people trying to kill her?
    To be fair, this kind of situation isn't so different from his life with Aunt May, where he was the only one taking care of her, thought she was the most fragile thing in the world, but still went on doing super-hero stuff even though he was aware he could end up being killed, there were situations where he bailed because he thought it could cause something bad with Aunt May (Like when he lost his mask/part of it was ripped off against Sandman, don't remember exactly, and he ran away scared because he feared the consequences of having his secret identity exposed), but either way, this is a situation Peter is familiar with and I don't see him stopping super heroing even because of the kid, he can do it temporarily if a situation arises which he needs to stay with the kid (Like when Aunt May got really sick, needed to take medicine and have someone watch over her and Peter just ignored the crisis New York was to take care of her), but it'd never be something permanent.