View Poll Results: What would be the minimum standards for preparing for an x writer job? (Choose all that apply)

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's not important to have read previous x men comics, editors will keep you right

4 5.06%
  • A general knowledge of the main storyline plus consulting wikipedia

44 55.70%
  • Watched the cartoons when growing up, seen the movies

5 6.33%
  • Read the comics as a child, got caught up on recent issues before taking the job

17 21.52%
  • Read all 17 years of Claremont

42 53.16%
  • Read all 17 years of Claremont and all subsequent Claremont

24 30.38%
  • Read Grant Morrison's New X Men

23 29.11%
  • Read Josh Weadon's Astonishing

19 24.05%
  • Read every mini series, even the ones nobody cares about

13 16.46%
  • Have written fan fiction

2 2.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

Default What research should writers do before writing the X Men?

The X Men have been going for a long time. I very much doubt any of us have read every x man comic.

So if someone is hired by Marvel to write an X Book, what do you think they should do in the way of research? Do you think writers have an obligation to know more than the fans? Or should they not bother about the minutiae of continuity and just tell the story they want to tell?

Is it the editors responsibility to flag up problems with characterisation, or to make sure every story fits like a jigsaw with every previously published story?

Do YOU think you know better than the writers?

Just some talking points for you, I'm adding a poll

BANNED

Research why Larry Bodine died.

Giant Sized X-men, The Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, Mutant Massacre, and Fall of the Mutants should be required. They should wiki the 90's including reading UXN spotlights on all new team members then read New X-men and X-treme X-men in conjunction with one another, Mike Carey's run through Messiah Complex, and also Gillen's Uncanny run. They should also read something with Boom Boom in it because I selfishly want her to be randomly important for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    Giant Sized X-men, The Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, Mutant Massacre, and Fall of the Mutants should be required. They should wiki the 90's including reading UXN spotlights on all new team members then read New X-men and X-treme X-men in conjunction with one another, Mike Carey's run through Messiah Complex, and also Gillen's Uncanny run. They should also read something with Boom Boom in it because I selfishly want her to be randomly important for no reason.
    I agree, in-depth knowledge of certain events should be required. And the more knowledge on Boom-Boom, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    That's a pretty good answer. I do think anything prior to Giant Size isn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by IdaqiBeauty View Post
    Research why Larry Bodine died.
    Due to X Factor creating a climate of fear IIRC, but yes, this could be a meaty arc for an aspiring writer. His relatives seek revenge.

They just need to read the Wikipedia, comicvine, wikia, or any x-men history pages to keep up with past and recent events. I don't think writers have to be experts, just have basic knowledge of the material.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

They have to have grown up on Claremont's X-Men. Any younger than that, and they can go write the New Warriors.

BANNED

I would have voted for #2 except for the Wikipedia piece...that can be as fan-fiction as much as actual fan faction. I think having basic knowledge is good as well as power level and history knowledge. Too much and it can stunt development, not enough and it can quickly read OOC. The editors get paid to monitor these things and hopefully they can earn their keep. For the X-men, the team dynamic is most vital, when team-based characters get solo's, especially when the writer is coming from a place of fanaticism it is best they get removed from the team setting so that the two versions do not clash...such as with Magneto and Tyke (for the most part).

Spectacular Member

As far as I'm concerned, they only need some knowledge on how the characters have developed over time, but most importantly they have to be good writers. I think talent will win through in the end on any given day.

BANNED

you really just need the wikipedia plot points, an understanding of the evolution of characterization (and what was successful more importantly than what all is canon), and the vibe and specific traits of the major runs: claremont, morrison, whedon, carey, remender, bendis
    as well as ideas about the shifts from the 80s, 90s, the way the market and editorial agendas impacted storytelling, etc
    Last edited by scusemeprincess; 06-30-2014 at 07:15 PM.

I'd say use Uncannyxmen.net's issue summaries over Wikipedia any day. Give individual character research priority over reading story arcs unless you plan to spin a plot thread out of one. Reading a few essays about what does and doesn't work about the mutant metaphor wouldn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by just another user View Post
    That's a pretty good answer. I do think anything prior to Giant Size isn't necessary.
    And then we have things like Schism with writers ignoring that the O5 were teenagers when they started fighting and don't realize that saying that Scott is opposed to Xavier because Scott allows teenagers to fight doesn't have any sense at all

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I'd say use Uncannyxmen.net's issue summaries over Wikipedia any day. Give individual character research priority over reading story arcs unless you plan to spin a plot thread out of one. Reading a few essays about what does and doesn't work about the mutant metaphor wouldn't hurt either.
    those are way too detailed summaries of everything that happened....you might as well read the issues.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Yeah, that's a great site. At least read the hell out of the storylines that are relevant to the characters. I think the best thing, though, is to read all of Claremont. I did it (mostly) and it's irrelevant to my job. Then read Morrison and Whedon, because they are extremely easy and will tell you a good deal. It also helps to, you know, read the runs that come out before you start.