Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Odd Man View Post
    Growing up int he 70's and 80's, I initially looked down my nose at war comics. It was all superheroes for me. Then I spent a summer at my cousin’s farm and the only comics he read were war comics. He had dozens of them, which I casually thumbed through, not expecting much. But the art caught my eye. Then I started reading them. And enjoying them. There were some damn good stories I had been missing out on!

Needless to say, I corrected my omission upon returning home, and was able to enjoy a great number of finely drawn, well-crafted stories that didn’t feature superheroes. Always been thankful to my cousin for opening my eyes.
    By the time I started buying comics during the mid-'70s, though a fan of war films, I also preferred superheroes to the military titles... at first. But I read a Brave and the Bold comic featuring a team-up between Batman and Sgt. Rock and I was very intrigued by the latter. It wasn't long before I started reading Our Army at War religiously.

I liked the other available titles, too, but Rock and the Blackhawks (the latter a favorite of my father's back in the '40s and '50s) were my favorites.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    By the time I started buying comics during the mid-'70s, though a fan of war films, I also preferred superheroes to the military titles... at first. But I read a Brave and the Bold comic featuring a team-up between Batman and Sgt. Rock and I was very intrigued by the latter. It wasn't long before I started reading Our Army at War religiously.

I liked the other available titles, too, but Rock and the Blackhawks (the latter a favorite of my father's back in the '40s and '50s) were my favorites.
    Star-Spangled War Stories/ Unknown Soldier could act like a bridge between the two genres, especially with Bob Haney writing the feature. WWII spy/espionage and a guy with a "secret identity" who was a master of disguise.
    But I think the one I really enjoyed was Codename: Gravedigger (in Men of War), but that may also be in part because I was able to get involved just as the series was starting.

One of my favorites!

I didn't read any D.C. War comics till the early 80's. But I came to really enjoy Creature Commandos and Kana, Shadow Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine322 View Post
    I didn't read any D.C. War comics till the early 80's. But I came to really enjoy Creature Commandos and Kana, Shadow Warrior.
    Kana should be showing up in a future post (though he may have only been given a half-page entry in the Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe days).