Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Default Tuskegee Airman, who marched with MLK from Selma, dies at 93

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tuskegee-...191832237.html

This, to me, is a true American hero. He served in the military, fought for this country and was on the front line with MLK for civil rights and was a real role model for children. My heart and prayers go out to his family, as well as my admiration.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

My high school principal was a Tuskegee airman, Quentin Smith. He passed away back in 2013 at the age of 94.. I didn't know him very well. Usually one has encounters with the principal if you've been bad. I remember walking down the hallway and some dude was wearing a hat inside the building, which was a big no-no back then in those times of strict dress codes. When he got to an intersection of hallways I saw this huge hand reach down and snatch the hat off his head. The guy turned and was starting to say something but just said...."Oh, hello Mr. Smith." kind of meekly. Mr. Smith gave him back that hat and reminded him about the dress code and the guy just said "Yes Mr Smith". He was a big guy....I'm guessing 6 foot and a bit more but then I wasn't very tall so he looked huge to me. He was too large to be a pilot so he was a bombadier. I've been on a B-17 that is part of a group called the Collins Foundation that restores and maintains those old war planes. You can ride in on for $450 but I just took the walk on tour. Even on a B17, the catwalks are so narrow and the cockpit is so cramped. My dad was a tail gunner in one of them and he was about 5 ft 10.

As the article noted, he did make history when he and 100 black officers dared to enter the all white officers club at a base in Seymour Indiana.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-04-2016 at 12:13 AM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    My high school principal was a Tuskegee airman, Quentin Smith. He passed away back in 2013 at the age of 94.. I didn't know him very well. Usually one has encounters with the principal if you've been bad. I remember walking down the hallway and some dude was wearing a hat inside the building, which was a big no-no back then in those times of strict dress codes. When he got to an intersection of hallways I saw this huge hand reach down and snatch the hat off his head. The guy turned and was starting to say something but just said...."Oh, hello Mr. Smith." kind of meekly. Mr. Smith gave him back that hat and reminded him about the dress code and the guy just said "Yes Mr Smith". He was a big guy....I'm guessing 6 foot and a bit more but then I wasn't very tall so he looked huge to me. He was too large to be a pilot so he was a bombadier. I've been on a B-17 that is part of a group called the Collins Foundation that restores and maintains those old war planes. You can ride in on for $450 but I just took the walk on tour. Even on a B17, the catwalks are so narrow and the cockpit is so cramped. My dad was a tail gunner in one of them and he was about 5 ft 10.

As the article noted, he did make history when he and 100 black officers dared to enter the all white officers club at a base in Seymour Indiana.
    Cool story! Thanks for sharing that IM!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor