Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Where are all the WONDER WOMAN fans?

Seems like this time three years ago when a new issue of Wonder Woman came out, the discussion threads went on into the hundreds of posts and weeks of debate.

Now? We have twice as many issues a month, the books sales are as good as its been for a decade, and after a few days and a mere three pages there is nothing more to say about issue #5.

What exactly happened? Was it the change from the Azzarello run? The end of relationship with Superman? (Admittedly there seemed little enough to discuss regarding WW in the last six months of that series.

It's the 75th anniversary of Wonder Woman, and yet it feels like a house with all the children gone.

Where is everyone?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Amazing Member

I'm here!

BANNED

I'm spoilerphobic and trade-waiting. Or hardcover-waiting, hopefully.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

It's a holiday weekend here in the United States. Perhaps a lot of folks are out of town and not using their internet devices?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Was it the change from the Azzarello run?
    For me, yes it was. There was always something I wanted to talk about in the Azzarello issues, and frankly, the controversial nature of that run always kept the arguments flowing around here. I had things to say about the Finch run too, though they were not positive things.

Rucka's run is good, but somehow it doesn't provoke me to respond much. I look at a thread, generally agree with most of the positive comments, don't have much to add, and don't bother saying "me too."

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

There does seem to be a general consensus of reaction here on the boards. I've read some posts on tumblr I have thought about responding to about race and such - mostly talking about how they don't think Rucka is being respectful of Africa and African people, but I hate the tumblr communciation system of reblogging, so I haven't done it. But if someone posted that commentary here, I probably would engage.

But other than, "It's really good so far, and we need to wait to see where everything is going," I don't have a ton more to say yet. Other than "the art is gorgeous."
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Here. Patiently wainting for the Age of Garbage to be completely forgotten.

Retired

I don't come to the Wonder Woman forum that often, but from my observation it thrives on controversy. Do something that divides the fanbase and you'll get a lot more argument here. Maybe if they don't let Steve Trever wear pants and put him in a skirt that will drum up some heated debate.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    For me, yes it was. There was always something I wanted to talk about in the Azzarello issues, and frankly, the controversial nature of that run always kept the arguments flowing around here. I had things to say about the Finch run too, though they were not positive things.

Rucka's run is good, but somehow it doesn't provoke me to respond much. I look at a thread, generally agree with most of the positive comments, don't have much to add, and don't bother saying "me too."
    Yeah, this.
    Books that everybody likes, or books that nobody hates do not spawn large threads.

I rarely see people talking about current happenings in comic books compared to years ago.
    used to be the time the new issue of Batman or X-Men would get many pages of response and
    even the smaller selling titles would get at least five or six pages, now it seems like most
    of the topics are repetitive themes where the creator tosses out a question or opinion on the current state
    of the comic book market for good or bad and people respond.
    If not for the back and fourth that is a staple in forums, I doubt we would even have 50% of the responses
    we see now (or since the beginning)

BANNED

No controversy = few pages of discussion

but i still think we will have some controversy at the end of Lies arc. also it still very light on plots, just getting warming

It's not just the Wonder Woman forums. The Batman, Superman and DC Universe forums are experiencing the same thing. I think it has to do with the fact that Rebirth is well received and there's not a lot to complain about. Controversy creates cash. In the same way negativity and controversy leads to a very active forum (ie how things were during the New52).
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    ... also it still very light on plots, just getting warming
    Also, it's not really the kind of run I feel compelled to annotate (so to speak) or ask questions about. There have been a few references for people to track down and mention, like those African lycanthrophes or Sasha (for those who didn't know who she was). But, for the most part, compared to some Azz issues where you might ask "why is this guy saying 'eat fresh?'" or "why gin?," this run is more straightforward--and that doesn't make it less popular, but it may reduce one set of reasons to chat about it online.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Also, it's not really the kind of run I feel compelled to annotate (so to speak) or ask questions about. There have been a few references for people to track down and mention, like those African lycanthrophes or Sasha (for those who didn't know who she was). But, for the most part, compared to some Azz issues where you might ask "why is this guy saying 'eat fresh?'" or "why gin?," this run is more straightforward--and that doesn't make it less popular, but it may reduce one set of reasons to chat about it online.

I have to agree with your statement here. I like Rucka's more forward storytelling approach. I also think that the one good thing about Azz's run is that it usually got people talking about Wonder Woman.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Incredible Member

I only started reading Wonder Woman comics with Azzarello's run. I stopped when that stopped.

I intend to read Rucka's run, but comic books seem really expensive to me these days and don't represent great value for money given their high cost and how quickly I read them. So, I'll wait until digital versions are discounted or the trade paperbacks are released.

This thread reminds me that I need to hunt down a copy of "The Legend of Wonder Woman" TPB - I think both Volumes 1 and 2 have been released now.