Page 3 of 196 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    The NFL needs to make it a rule that ALL players, coaches and team personal HAVE to stand for the anthem. It's a rule in MLB and other sports.

Some teams make it a rule in the NFL. Steve Fisher, head coach of the Rams, not only has a rule about having to stand for it, but he wants them to stand in a particular way.
    Standing for the anthem is a sign of respect and patriotism in the eyes of many, but it is only meaningful in that way because people choose to display that respect or patriotism. If you taste away the choice and force it, you take away any meaning it has. No one is being respectful or patriotic if they are doing it because it is forced. It becomes an empty hollow act without any meaning. So by trying to preserve something in this manner, you only destroy what you are hoping to preserve.

-M

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

My predictions this year:

NFC East:
    Dallas Cowboys (11-5): I know, we have a rookie QB starting for us for probably 4-6 games and an iffy defense. BUT, we have the best o-line in the NLF, the best group of RB's, one of the best WR's in the league and a HOF TE who's still getting it done despite his age. Plus, Dak has shown a lot of poise and if they can control the clock and time of possession (something they did in 2014 when they were one play away from the NFC championship game), then it will help keep the defense off the field.

Washington Redskins (8-8): They had the easiest schedule last year and won the division with a 9-7 record. This year, they have one of the hardest. So no cream puff teams on their schedule this year. And I'm still not sold on Kirk Cousins. They also have some o-line issues and are hurting at the RB position. And that schedule (they play the Steelers week 1) will break them.

NY Giants (7-9): This teams looked like a mess on offense in the preseason. Eli has never been a great QB, but a good QB who's relied on a great defense whenever they have had success. He doesn't have a great defense this year to cover his deficiencies. They do have an amazing WR in OBJ, but their RB's are average at best and their o-line is a mess.

Philly Eagles (5-11): Their starting Wentz, a Div 2 rookie QB, who played a few series of one preseason game and he will play behind an o-line that just had it's RT suspended for the first 10 games, the guards are average at best and the only good player on their o-line is LT Jason Peters, who is 34 and could hit the wall this year. And Wentz doesn't have any major weapons on offense to help him. The defense will be good, but this team is going to struggle. REALLY struggle.

NFC North:
    Green Bay Packers (12-4): This team will go as far as it's o-line will take them. It was average a week ago and then for some unknown (and unwise decision, IMO) they cut their pro-bowl LG. Their o-line was a weakness last year, and it's now worse. They have a pretty good defense, and weapons on offense to go with arguably the best QB in the NFL in Aaron Rodgers. They also play in an easy division and their schedule looks like a cake walk. Nonetheless, that o-line will hurt them and they're going to have to play max protection from time to time.

Minnesota Vikings (9-7): I get why the Vikings made the trade for Bradford, but they chose the wrong QB to get. Bradford had the 4th worse QBR last year in the NFL among all QB's. That's horrendous. Why they thought Bradford is going to help them win the division, let alone in the playoffs, is mind boggling to me. Yes, they do have a very good defense and one of the best RB's in the NFL but I still think Bradford will sink this ship.

Detroit Lions (7-9): They no longer have Megatron and outside of a pretty good QB, nobody on their offense scares teams. They're a team who could go 8-8, but I doubt it.

Chicago Bears (5-11): Not much to say except this is a terrible team. Let's just move on.

NFC South:

Carolina Panthers (12-4): This team is loaded. Remember how good they were last year? That was without their best WR. He's back now this year. Cam Newton is such an electrifying QB. I'm a Cowboy fan, but I would pay money to watch Cam play. So good, he can beat you with his arm and legs. And he has improved his accuracy down field every year. They have one of, if not the best, defenses in the league. They can cover, rush the passer, stuff the run. They can just flat out shut you down. And looking at this year's schedule, I honestly don't see them losing more than 4 games. I wouldn't be shocked though if they won 14 or 15. Seriously.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Wild Card 2(9-7): This team is going to live or die with their QB. Either Winston takes the next step up or doesn't. If he does, they go 9-7, if they don't, they go 7-9. I think he looked good enough last year to get them at least 9 wins and the 2nd WC.

Atlanta Falcons (8-8): This team is an average NFL football team, hence the record. I just don't see much beyond Matt Ryan's arm and Julio Jones, and a lot of times, you can't even count on a healthy 16 game Jones anymore.

New Orleans Saints (7-9): Brees is still a good QB, but they have one of the worst defenses in the league and they traded away one of their best weapons to Seattle last year (Jimmy Graham). I don't think they realized how important he was to their offense, because they looked like a totally different team on offense last year without him.

NFC West:

Arizona Cardinals (11-5 win the tie breaker): Really, this is a two team race for the division and the Cardinals and Seahawks are about as close it gets when it comes down to the two best teams in a division. One of them is going to win the division and the other one will get a wild card.
    I'm picking the Cardinals because I believe they're the best all around team in their division. They have a very good offense and a very good defense. I know, so does Seattle, but I'm giving the edge to Arizona.

Seattle Seahawks (11-5) Wild Card 1: The Cardinals get to play the Patriots in week 1, which mean no Brady. Seattle has to play the Patriots Week 10, which means they have to play Brady. And it's AT New England. I just think Seattle's schedule is a little bit tougher than Arizona's. Their still a very, very good team though.

Los Angeles Rams (7-9): Wow, it's so strange saying "Los Angeles Rams". My wife is a Rams fan and we went to St. Louis a few years back to watch them play the Cowboys and I can understand why they move. That stadium was old and not very fan friendly. Anyhow, they play in the same division as the Cardinals and Seahawks. Enough said.

San Fran 49ers (6-10): This team is a mess. They don't have a QB or much of anything on offense except for Hyde.

AFC East:

NE Patriots (11-5): This team has the best coaches in the NFL. I think even without Brady, they go 2-2. That means Brady only needs to win 9 out of the last 12 games. Something he could easily do. The rest of this division is getting closer to the Patriots though. Miami and Buffalo are inching ever closer every year.

Buffalo Bills (10-6) Wild Card 1: I just think Rex is a really good coach who gets the most of his players. They have a good QB, good RB, threats at WR and a good o-line. Their defense might be shaky though. Rob Ryan loves to run a very complex defensive system and it always takes at least a year for the players to learn it and make it work.

Miami Dolphins (9-7): They're getting better every year, but I just don't see them being a threat to the Patriots or Bills. They could even end up 8-8.

NY Jets (6-10): I think this is the year that Fitzpatrick hits the wall. He's been a solid QB throughout his career, but there's a reason why the Jets were hesitant to give him a new contract. I just don't think they have enough on offense to win a lot of games.

AFC North:

Pittsburgh Steelers (11-5): Big Ben is the best QB in that division and he has one of the best WR's and RB's in the league. While their defense isn't as good as it used to be in the good old days, the offense will carry them.

Cincinnati Bengals (10-6) Wild Card 2: They have a very good defense and a really good QB in Dalton, who has good weapons around him.

Baltimore Ravens (9-7): This team has been on the decline over the last 4-5 years. They just don't have the talent anymore. And Flacco doesn't have a great defense to rely on.

Cleveland Browns (4-12): Do I really need to say anything about the Browns?

The rest of these teams in the AFC aren't very good, so I'm just going to give their records and that's it.
    AFC South:

Colts (9-7): Yes, 9-7 wins this division.

Texans (8-8): I'm worried about this team because it usually relies on its defense to win games and I have a feeling their defense is going to take a step back this year. That means there will be more pressure on the offense to score. I just don't see it working.

Titans (7-9): They're slowly building a better team little by little. Look for them to make a push for a wild card next year. But not this year. I like Marriota's game though.

Jaguars (5-11):

AFC West:

Denver Broncos (10-6): I still think this team wins the division just because they have such a great defense and they don't play in a tough division.

Oakland Raiders (9-7): This team is going to surprise teams. I like Derek Carr. I think he's going to be a really good QB.

Chiefs (8-8)

Chargers (7-9)

NFC Wild card playoff week:

Dallas Cowboys host the Tampa Bay Bucs (Dallas wins 30-17)

Arizona host the Seattle Seahawks (Arizona wins 20-17)

NFC Divisional Playoff week games:

Carolina host the Cardinals (Panthers win 17-10)

GB Packers host Dallas Cowboys (Cowboys win 31-28)

NFC Championship Game: Carolina host the Cowboys. As much as I want to pick my Cowboys, I have to be realistic (although anything can happen in the playoffs) Carolina wins 31-27 and advance to the Super Bowl.

AFC Wild Card playoff week:

Broncos host the Bills (Broncos win 17-13)

Colts host the Bengals (Bengals win 31-13)

AFC Divisional Playoff week games:

Steelers host the Bengals (Steelers win 24-21)

Patriots host the Broncos (Patriots win 34-17)

AFC Championship Game: Steelers host the Patriots Steelers win 30-27 in OT and advance to the Super Bowl.

Super Bowl: Panthers beat the Steelers 31-28
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Standing for the anthem is a sign of respect and patriotism in the eyes of many, but it is only meaningful in that way because people choose to display that respect or patriotism. If you taste away the choice and force it, you take away any meaning it has. No one is being respectful or patriotic if they are doing it because it is forced. It becomes an empty hollow act without any meaning. So by trying to preserve something in this manner, you only destroy what you are hoping to preserve.

-M
    I disagree. If you're an American, you should be proud and patriotic no matter what. Whether you do it by choice or force, it's still a patriotic act. And it's disrespectful to those in the military who have served this country and bled and died for it. Choosing not to stand for the anthem makes you look like a jerk. There's just no way around it.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Apparently, all or the majority of the Seahawks will be protesting the anthem on 9/11.

Classy!
    If they do that this Sunday of all days (it's the 15th anniversary of 9/11) it would be the utmost sign of disrespect and insult not only to this country, but the citizens and most especially those who lost their lives that day. If I was the commish, I would put ALL players, teams and owners on notice that if they do anything to dishonor the NFL or this country on Sunday, there will be repercussions.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

If they do that this Sunday of all days (it's the 15th anniversary of 9/11) it would be the utmost sign of disrespect and insult not only to this country, but the citizens and most especially those who lost their lives that day. If I was the commish, I would put ALL players, teams and owners on notice that if they do anything to dishonor the NFL or this country on Sunday, there will be repercussions.
    I'm all for exercising one's First Amendment right of free speech and expression, but doing that protest on 9/11 is a seriously bad idea that could blow up like a nuke. While the NFL has been practically bulletproof in terms of scandals having precious little effect on its popularity, this stance, on that date will inflame a hell of a lot of people against the league, especially in an election year where the stance will definitely be politcized and hated by both the left and the right. Even though I despise Roger Goodell for his hanging judge mentality, in this case, he's going to have to put his foot down and tell teams and players NOT to protest this Sunday, or he'll be staring down the barrel of a PR disaster that will make Deflategate look like small potatoes.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I disagree. If you're an American, you should be proud and patriotic no matter what. Whether you do it by choice or force, it's still a patriotic act. And it's disrespectful to those in the military who have served this country and bled and died for it. Choosing not to stand for the anthem makes you look like a jerk. There's just no way around it.
    I'm sorry. That sounds like North Korea to me where all the citizens are forced to stand and forced to hold extreme reverence for their country. It's the same deal as religion. Religion means more when the person actually believes in said religion not when their parents (or political leaders) force them to. Coersive dogma really has no place in civilized society.

Panthers are favored by 4.5. Opening weekend is dog day but I have no reason the Donks can muster adequate QB play. Normally I wouldn't but I'll take the Panthers to cover.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Fuckin' loathe Steratore
    You bet yer ass.

I wish networks got some new announcers I'm gonna be honest
    The J-man

Good game so far.
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I wish networks got some new announcers I'm gonna be honest
    I don't mind Al Michaels... but Collinsworth is obnoxiously bad.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Apparently, all or the majority of the Seahawks will be protesting the anthem on 9/11. Classy!
    Well, Pete Carroll is a 9-11 Truther, so I'm not entirely shocked if one team was gonna protest on 9-11, it would be them.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Its halftime

So far Trevor's shown his inexperience.

Time to start 2nd half.