Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Adventures of Superman #12

Superman has always stood for "Truth, Justice, and the American Way," but when a new vigilante known as the Demolisher starts cleaning up the streets of Metropolis in a way that Superman never could, the Man of Steel wonders if this new brand of hero is what his city truly needs.

Full preview here.

BANNED

This story was gangbusters...

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

So, I only just read this and I can honestly say that it is, without doubt, one of the worst Superman stories I have ever read. Peter Milligan is a damn good writer but if this is any indication, boy does he not get Superman. Seriously, this story pretty much took all the worst parts of Man of Steel and multiplied them by a thousand. Terrible dialogue, stupid story and the some of the worst characterization of Superman and his supporting cast that I have ever come across. Here's hoping the series gets back on track next issue.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Read in online way back when, and stay far away from this. Finally started to turn around on him from getting the Best of Milligan and McCarthy last week (wonderful stuff so far) and Dark Knight Dark City a little before that, and here comes this to remind me how much I generally dislike his work. This is the worst mainstream superhero deconstruction since...well, Milligan's own "Kid Amazo" arc on JLC, actually.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    This story was gangbusters...
    I dunno about that, I definitely wanted to Exile it from my collection after I'd finished the book.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Milligan is my favorite writer, but when he isn't interested in what he's writing you can REALLY tell. The entire time I was just like "I can't believe this comic happened."

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Milligan is my favorite writer, but when he isn't interested in what he's writing you can REALLY tell. The entire time I was just like "I can't believe this comic happened."
    Yeah, looks like he was just phoning it in.
    BB

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Phoning in is right. The dialogue in particular is shockingly bad, which is not usually a problem for Milligan.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.