Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Are you allergic to the idea of Asian characters?

I love Cecilia Reyes, Synch, Monet, Storm, Bishop, Monica Rambeau, John Stewart, Michonne, Maggot, Vixen, J'onn J'onz (if you accept his black-coding). And various others to a lesser degree.
    No. I even stated that I was for the idea of Blink being Asian when Dofp came out even though I always imagined her being black. It just seems that when a character is black the hate for them is magnified.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    As we see though. Characters being Asian doesn't get the same heat & outrage as when they're black.

People were fine with Blink being Caucasian or Asian. But make her black, and many are now pissing blood.

Monet has gone back to being white again. She has short bouts of blackness in-between long stretches of whiteness. lol Sunspot is the same way.

Seems the only black X-Character that's allowed is Storm, while all the others have been bleached or are MIA. Bishop only recently came back after years of character assassination.
    Add Domino, Heimdell, and Human Torch to that list when it comes to the movies. Especially Domino since she's an odd color.

Keep it about the comics/character folks, not each other. I bounced a handful of people just last night for refusing to do that (in a different thread), and am more than willing to do it again. Be civil or go away.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Ultimate Member

I never put a real race to Blink because she was pink, I just didn't like the sudden physical differences in how she was drawn...they could easily say that this Blink is from an alternate timeline/reality and that'd solve everything...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I never put a real race to Blink because she was pink, I just didn't like the sudden physical differences in how she was drawn...they could easily say that this Blink is from an alternate timeline/reality and that'd solve everything...
    What's the problem?

Ultimate Member

Because she was drawn pretty much the same for like 99% of her existence and now she's not and it's not a subtle difference like just a different haircut...it's like having a character be tall and then be changed to being short...

Because she was drawn pretty much the same for like 99% of her existence and now she's not and it's not a subtle difference like just a different haircut...it's like having a character be tall and then be changed to being short...
    Because her nose is a little rounder?

Ultimate Member

There's her nose and her hair for starters and it's not a little rounder, her nose I mean....she was drawn pretty much one way for all of her time until this Exiles book, her hair isn't just a different hairstyle...

There's her nose and her hair for starters and it's not a little rounder, her nose I mean....she was drawn pretty much one way for all of her time until this Exiles book, her hair isn't just a different hairstyle...
    No really I want you to describe in detail what's different and why it's bad

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    At most she's mixed:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Slade
    This is her great-grandfather/ancestor.

It's just another example of marvel not giving a crap about continuity anymore. Every book that launched from around resurrection feels like some bizarre Alt. Reality timeline where what came before isn't acknowledged.
    She mixed because her ancestor was white? Fredrick Slade was the 18th century, Blink was born 20th century. You are saying that with in 200 hundred years a family line has to remain white? Just to note Clan Akkaba is an Egyptian line so how did it end up white?

Note none of this stuff is important in the grand scheme

What's interesting here is that it is being discussed (by myself, at least) whether Blink is Asian or black (two marginalized and underrepresented groups)...not white or black.
    I get your point,I already said though books have to do a better job at fleshing out characters. Nobody had a problem with her being shown as Asian there was enough grey area in her backstory for it be shown that way. And if some other creator had gotten to it she would have probably been made Asian when they were fleshing out her back story because of the movies and tv show. The current exile creators chose to flesh her out backstory using the Bahamas angle now she is black.

Lastly People have been thought that traditional black features aren't beautiful or appealing. Blink being drawn with "frizzy" black people hair and broad nose feels off to them. When blink is drawn with more straight nose and straighten hair she is normal "standard of beauty". One of reason black panther was so dope that women were dark skinned and had natural hair and it show you can be beautiful that way as well. So it is cool approach been shown with Blink sadly when other people draw her it won't matter.

Ultimate Member

Um I don't remember saying anything negative about Black Panther or any of the female characters in that movie, as for Blink it was a sudden change...how did her hair suddenly change along with everything else...I just take it as how Blink had been portrayed up until this current Exiles run...

Beetle, then how is it good...so you're saying that she was wrong or bad up until now...

Beetle, then how is it good...so you're saying that she was wrong or bad up until now...
    Stop sidestepping the issue. List exactly what changes you think you see.

I never said she was wrong or bad until now, she was a generic comic book character with indeterminate features that changed from artist to artist depending on their style, and due to her odd skin color a lot of people assumed was white because that's the default assumption in western culture.

I take umbrage at the assertion that she should be retconned into an alternate reality version just because she doesn't fit your assumptions anymore, because there's nothing to fix.

Um I don't remember saying anything negative about Black Panther or any of the female characters in that movie, as for Blink it was a sudden change...how did her hair suddenly change along with everything else...I just take it as how Blink had been portrayed up until this current Exiles run...

I have been purposely not directing my commentary at anyone, I don't know you or your know reasoning for things I have been generally stating things. I will say unintentionally your commentary is kinda close type of talk where people view certain features in a better light than other ones. If you have not noticed people are trying to get you to clearly express your feelings because look of a character is more black and sometimes in talking about it feels like people are saying black characteristics are less desirable or pretty. That is real issue in the world and you see it movies,tv,toys,comics ,etc.The black panther reference was shown it is anomaly to see dark skin women with natural short hair and them seen as beautiful. I am doing my best explain this without accusing anyone having a bias but I hope you understand now why commenters are dissecting your words.

Anyways I spend to much time on this I am enjoying the exiles book for the most part Blink is pretty solid in the book. I hope they bring AoA blink to 616 earth and use her I am tired of her ending up in limbo after Exiles books end.And Exiles book in my opinion are built to have finite story. Blink has proven she a marketable enough character to carry a book and I think AoA blink, Jubilee, M would have better focus than Gen-X book that they tried to give us.

I had never ascribed a race to Blink
    In thinking about this a little more I realize what I should have said from the beginning. Why are we assuming she is either Black or Asian. Why couldn't she be both? I mean Naomi Osaka just won the US Open she is Haitian and Japanese. In not seeing yourself represented we get a little too excited to "claim" a character and the world is never really that simple it has shades of grey. Going forward I that is going to be my hope of how they tweak character.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-11-2018 at 01:08 AM.

Ultimate Member

If Blink had looked like this from the beginning then I wouldn't even be in this thread talking about any of this...I'm not slamming any character in the Black Panther movie, character or actor...

Again I never assigned a race to Blink really as she had pink skin and hair and such...

If this Blink is the not AoA/616 Blink but one from another dimension or reality or whatever then I'm fine with it and won't say another word about her past not wanting her to replace the AoA one...

If this Blink is the not AoA/616 Blink but one from another dimension or reality or whatever then I'm fine with it and won't say another word about her past not wanting her to replace the AoA one...
    It is clearly the AoA blink she has meet up with AoA Sabertooth and Morph in the books, She has meet up with Nocturne who was in the exiles.They all recognize her as AoA version. The story says she AoA blink. Now the only difference

Blink 1.jpg

I mean what are you really talking about it is just a nose and hair everything else the same.It is not like you can't tell it is same character

Capture.jpg

When drawn by a different artist than main book artist even less difference. To each their own I guess it is just funny to me ,If they gave Storm a for the first time a mohawk today fans would be revolting I guess
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-11-2018 at 05:33 AM.