Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Diana's role in the Trinity

superman batman and wonder woman form the Trinity of DC and are essentially their big three. superman stands for truth and Justice and hope. batman stands for darkness and grimness and vengeance. wonder woman represents the Amazon culture and strives for peace and stands for women empowerment. what are your thoughts on refining her role so that the themysycrian princess becomes a more pristine part of the Trinity and her value as a character increases? should she make the tough calls for the greater good which Superman and batman don't allow themselves to make? Do you think her role as a ambassador of peace and equality plays a vital part in balancing the Trinity?
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 09-05-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Incredible Member

I think she should be the "leader".

This is for a number of reasons, first and foremost because she has the experience necessary to lead based on her training as Princess of the Amazons on Themyscira, which presumably involved many lessons from Hippolyta on how to lead a nation, both in terms of day-to-day management and in battle. It seems as though it's not being used in the comic books, but Diana's 5,000 year lifespan in the DC Cinematic Universe makes her uniquely skilled and experienced when it comes to leadership.

Secondly, I think Wonder Woman also represents a more realistic world view when it comes to battle. To my understanding, in the comic books, both Superman and Batman have a strict no-kill policy. However, Wonder Woman will, where absolutely necessary and only as a last resort, use lethal force to defeat an opponent in the name of the greater good. I think it is extremely valuable to have that perspective, especially when we're dealing with a wide range of super villains who have the potential to literally destroy the entire world.

Thirdly, I think Wonder Woman's mission statement is important and moving. Diana abandoned a literal "paradise" where she lived an extremely peaceful and privileged life to come to "man's world" in an attempt to help others. In some stories, leaving Themyscira meant that she was forbidden from ever returning under any circumstances. Sure, both Superman and Batman have given up a lot in order to be heroes, but I think that Diana's sacrifice to leave behind everything that she has ever known and enter a world which is unfair, primitive, cruel and chaotic is pretty amazing. I think this is evidence of Diana's dedication to her ideals.

Mighty Member

I think they should all work as leaders. All of their opinions and decisions should hold equal weight with one another and there should be a level of respect and comradery among them. I think on the outside Superman may come off more as a leader since he seems more prone to giving speeches and more prone to tank a missile since he is the most invulnerable but they should all work as a unit. WW is all about keeping personal relationships with everyone, making allies of enemies, and probably best at split second decision making and she's more prone to value life over the other two( i dont think no kill codes are necessary for any of them tbh but if they are i think she should have one as well and probably moreso than the other two). Batman is the detective so he sees the world a bit differently than everyone else in a sherlock holmes-odd ball type of way. He isnt smarter but just a different kind of smart. He is the most hidden of the two where as Superman is the most acknowledged among the people and Wonder Woman is probably the most loved by all the heroes(and the villains). So everyone else outside the trinity might have their skewed view of everyone but the truth is that they all work equally and probably laugh at the news making them out to hate each other.

I think she should play a super important role in balancing the trinity. Technically they work well together as concepts but people tend to fail at writing them because they go the route of having Diana either be overly emotional(stereotype) or overly angry/violent(stereotype) instead she kinda blends the best in both of them. Superman is day, Batman is night, she kinda is in between them( dawn if you will). Superman is about the good in people and triumph of good over evil, Batman is about the bad in people with the triumph of fear over evil and she seems more holistic. She sees people as being able to be both good AND bad(sometimes at the same time because thats usually how the world works) and the answer for her tends to be love over evil and thats how you turn the bad good and keep the good good. Thats why her whole thing on rehabilitation is pretty important for her and why itd make the trinity much more workable.

There was this article I was reading about Hillary Clinton actually and it was about how people kinda get on her for not being a good speech giver and how her real attributes are her focus on personal relationships and being able to be good friends with people and how she's dependable and actually one of the most truthful politicians despite alot of the rhetoric surrounding her. Politics aside, because ofc people have good reason to not like her and im not going to tell people how to feel about her opinions, I think that kinda helps show how people have a hard time writing Diana. Her most important attributes tend to be seen as feminine and because of that people dont really understand how to approach them because we usually focus so much in media on the big independent day speeches and the fighting that we focus very little on the other stuff like building rapport, keeping promises, etc. that are just as important for a leader as anything else. I think thats where Diana should be because most of her character is really taking those feminine things and showing them as useful and important as things we usually think of as a leader like those speeches. Im sure she can give a good speech but thats usually not where her strength is thats usually reserved for the Captain Marvel,Superman, Captain America types.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 09-05-2016 at 06:15 PM.

My opinion on the roles in the trinity are:

Superman - science/sci-fi, the future, idealism/optimist

Batman - mystery/street level, the present, cynicism/pessimist

Wonder Woman - magic/fantasy, the past, realist

Just my opinion though.
    Last edited by Mutant God; 09-07-2016 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post

Batman - mystery/street level, the present, cynicism/pessmist

Just mmy opinion though.
    Very good way to look at it. Personally, my view of the trinity: each one of then witness someone comiting a crime.

Superman: arrests the criminal
    Batman: hurts and arrests the criminal
    Wonder Woman: demands to know who is and arrests the criminal boss.

BANNED

In terms of the ideas they represent, WW is Truth, Batman Justice, and Superman either Strength or Hope.

Which isn't to say Batman is untrue, or Superman unjust, or Wonder Woman uninspiring. It's just that each one is moreso than the other two.

I think she should represent faith ... not in the sense of "god/s" but in the sense of faith in humanity. She once was the least likely to kill, in fact the Amazons focused on rehabilitation as their primary way of dealing with criminals back when SM and BM were still killing criminals. Diana should always see the good in people and give the others confidence that people can learn to be better.

Just my opinion though.
    I would switch The Past and The Present with Diana and Bruce. Bruce as a detective, is looking into the past as to what happened with whatever case he is trying to figure out. Diana is teaching "us" in the now, so that we can move into the Future with Superman.

IMO.
    Richard Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    I would switch The Past and The Present with Diana and Bruce. Bruce as a detective, is looking into the past as to what happened with whatever case he is trying to figure out. Diana is teaching "us" in the now, so that we can move into the Future with Superman.

IMO.
    Huh, never of thought of it like that. It also makes sense with Bruce not letting go of his past with his parent's murder. Also Batman being the darkness, of the past, while Wonder Woman is the mix colors of the present and Superman is the light of the future.

Okay, this is just me, and I realize this may not be a popular opinion, or a common one: but I think the whole "Trinity" idea is a mistake, an imposition of marketing constraints onto stories about characters. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman may be the best-known superheroes owned by DC Comics - but that has to do with sales figures and focus groups outside the world of the comics. Which is to say: they don't know that, so why should it affect their activities so much?

There are times when it makes sense for all three of them and no one else to work together, I suppose. But there's also times when it makes sense for Wonder Woman and Aquaman to team up, just the two of them, royalty of their respective nations (and with links to the Greek gods). There's a time when it makes sense for Superman and Green Lantern to team up, as heroes who travel through space and visit alien worlds. (Does Superman still do that?) And so on.

In order to really draw me in, a Trinity comic is going to have to have a powerful central idea that brings these three characters together - other than, "hey, they're the three most iconic characters we have!" Right now it just seems like they're forcing them together for marketing reasons, and that doesn't always lead to the best stories. (Although it may lead to the best sales, in which case why should they pay any attention to me?)

I really think that this whole "we have to put the iconic characters together" mindset has had the worst impact on Batman over the decades. In order to make him consistently important in adventures on power scales that make sense for Superman, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern, they have to make him Batgod - who, frankly, is not as interesting to me as the more human, limited World's Greatest Detective that we can still sometimes see in other stories. This is, of course, an issue that goes back many decades, but in the era of Batman Is The Most Important Property We Have, in gets worse.

Have an 8-issue Trinity story. Then a 6-issue Royalty story, with Wonder Woman and Aquaman (and maybe Amethyst!). Then 6 Space issues of the GLC need Superman's help, or vice versa. And so on. Let the nature of the characters dictate their directions. And let Batman do some real detective work, and stop relying so heavily on his supercomputers.

But that's just me.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Okay, this is just me, and I realize this may not be a popular opinion, or a common one: but I think the whole "Trinity" idea is a mistake, an imposition of marketing constraints onto stories about characters. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman may be the best-known superheroes owned by DC Comics - but that has to do with sales figures and focus groups outside the world of the comics. Which is to say: they don't know that, so why should it affect their activities so much?

There are times when it makes sense for all three of them and no one else to work together, I suppose. But there's also times when it makes sense for Wonder Woman and Aquaman to team up, just the two of them, royalty of their respective nations (and with links to the Greek gods). There's a time when it makes sense for Superman and Green Lantern to team up, as heroes who travel through space and visit alien worlds. (Does Superman still do that?) And so on.

In order to really draw me in, a Trinity comic is going to have to have a powerful central idea that brings these three characters together - other than, "hey, they're the three most iconic characters we have!" Right now it just seems like they're forcing them together for marketing reasons, and that doesn't always lead to the best stories. (Although it may lead to the best sales, in which case why should they pay any attention to me?)

I really think that this whole "we have to put the iconic characters together" mindset has had the worst impact on Batman over the decades. In order to make him consistently important in adventures on power scales that make sense for Superman, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern, they have to make him Batgod - who, frankly, is not as interesting to me as the more human, limited World's Greatest Detective that we can still sometimes see in other stories. This is, of course, an issue that goes back many decades, but in the era of Batman Is The Most Important Property We Have, in gets worse.

Have an 8-issue Trinity story. Then a 6-issue Royalty story, with Wonder Woman and Aquaman (and maybe Amethyst!). Then 6 Space issues of the GLC need Superman's help, or vice versa. And so on. Let the nature of the characters dictate their directions. And let Batman do some real detective work, and stop relying so heavily on his supercomputers.

But that's just me.
    I think its really par for the course. Comics are heavily shaped by their sales and their history and they tend to take shape because of it so I dont think the trinity is any more convoluted than any team up book including Justice League. These three have stood the test of time and have often sold very well or survived the industry even when it was said to be going under.

They really could work well but they just have to write them correctly i believe which usually never happens

BANNED

Just my opinion though.
    I totally agree with this.

Hope, freedom and justice...

The best Superman stories are always ultimately about hope. Wonder Woman, at her best and clearest, is always ultimately about freedom - not truth - and Batman is always ultimately about justice. This is consistent throughout the cartoons, comic books and films.

Thematically, it might break down as sci-fi, fantasy and suspense.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post

But that's just me.
    Bingo, it's Batman then Superman then it's Worlds Finest, then Trinity then JL. It's all just elitism, DC's entire structure is based on elitism which is why I'm often puzzled when Wonder Woman fans are the first to jump to the defense of "Trinity". All it does is make her a token character cause lets face it sales wise she has no business being in the same bracket as Batman so even the outside factors ring hollow.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Bingo, it's Batman then Superman then it's Worlds Finest, then Trinity then JL. It's all just elitism, DC's entire structure is based on elitism which is why I'm often puzzled when Wonder Woman fans are the first to jump to the defense of "Trinity". All it does is make her a token character cause lets face it sales wise she has no business being in the same bracket as Batman so even the outside factors ring hollow.
    it has nothing to do with sales but the fact that she has survived all the previous ages along with Superman and Batman