Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Detective Comics, has Rebirth gone the wrong way?

OK, I have been reading Detective Comics for a long time ... The New 52 curve-ball was finally settling down with some really good last few episodes with Bats (albeit robo-cop Batman) actually doing some detection and with less outlandish villainry (crooked crooks rather than crazy crooks). I had great hopes for the Rebirth especially as they picked up the old numbering - implying continuity, but now its Bat-Gang, an ensemble cast!. Am I misjudging this, should I wait??

BANNED

Tec so far has been great, almost flawless for what its trying to do.

Spectacular Member

Might be best to wait for the volume to drop and pick that up cos yeah, these issues are way to small to enjoy properly and it's a bit disappointing when you aren't able to see how everything fits on a grander scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Lhynn View Post
    Tec so far has been great, almost flawless for what its trying to do.
    Well, I wouldn't quite go that far, but at least I feel Detective Comics hasn't jumped the shark the way that the main Batman book unfortunately has.

If you don't like the Bat-gang, it's probably not for you. And fair enough.

It is not a comics about detective stories. If it is what you expect from it you are going to be disappointed. But if you take it as an action team book with continuity soap opera that speaks to old reader and appeal to new, it is one of the best books of Rebirth.

Tec is in a weird position.

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    It is not a comics about detective stories. If it is what you expect from it you are going to be disappointed. But if you take it as an action team book with continuity soap opera that speaks to old reader and appeal to new, it is one of the best books of Rebirth.

Tec is in a weird position.
    This. More people need to realize that the name "Detective Comics" is just an artifact title used for branding purposes and that there's not a single thing wrong with that. Getting upset because it doesn't feature mostly detective work is just... odd.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

A major part of Rebirth's message has been about finding homes for former fan favorite characters. Typically, Detective Comics has been relegated to being "that other Batman book". But with Batman double-shipping, there's less of a need to have "just another Batman solo". By including an ensemble of characters that haven't been able to sell their own books, Detective Comics is able to differentiate itself a bit from the solo book. It serves as a similar function to Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, Titans, and I suspect that Steve Orlando's JLA will do something similar.

BANNED

Not typically a Bat-Fan, but I'm loving this book.

In my opinion yes. I'm not a fan of the concept, character, or writing, but since I wasn't a consistent reader beforehand and many people seem to be enjoying it, I really can't complain.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Its certainly gone the wrong way with me and its down to Tynion's writing, which I've had issues with in the past. The concept and characters are fine and it was because of both that I was even willing to give it a go even with Tynion at the helm. Sadly it failed to hook me after 4 issues. I don't need a book to be perfect but I do want to get a certain amount of enjoyment from it in order to keep coming back especially in the case of a double shipped title. Other people are over the moon about it and that's fine but this one just isn't for me.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

I think the current direction of 'Tec gives it a purpose beyond just "the other Batman book". It's well written, it gets the characters voices right, and it feels like it has a purpose other than just cashing in on Batman's popularity. It's not a masterpiece but I like it a lot.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I am loving it, primarily as a Steph fan (and loving the triumphant return of Steph to Tec since her first appearance and brief issue as Robin , but think all of the characters, even the puzzling but hilarious Clayface, are being handled really well. I think Caivu said it best - "Detective" is as important to the actual content of Detective Comics as it is to DC as a company. Sometimes it features detectives detecting - Snyder's Black Mirror comes to mind - but just as often, it explores the world of Batman deeper, as with Greg Rucka's run.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member

The only modern writers who I think managed to make this a detective book were Paul Dini and Scott Snyder; otherwise it's generally been an also-ran Batman book, with this new direction being a good way to separate it from its counterparts.

I personally enjoy it immensely, though I would recommend maybe perusing the first arc in TPB to judge it for yourself; it's got a slower pace than other books, and some people have issues with the breadth of its characterizations (some think they're too shallow, others a little off point). You have to be someone who likes set-up issues.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

'Tec has been unbelievably great! It's easily the best Bat book right now.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor