Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Incredible Member

I guess it depends really on how much you treasure your collection, for example even though I have the IDW tpb collections of G.I.Joe and Transformers from back when Marvel was publishing them yet I still have the entire single complete issues that I can't just part with especially with the time and effort it took me to collect them.

When it comes to double, triple or quadrupal dipping yeah I'm guilty of that too, I have like three versions of The Dark Knight Returns and about four versions of Batman Year One.

Mighty Member

Never give up hope! I too am still patiently waiting for that USM v2 solicit. Any day now...

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    I have Sandman'd, Singles - trades - Omni's - Absolutes,

Has anybody gone from buying only HC's to collecting trades? I swore off trades a while ago but have recently started buying them again (only marvel ones, ultimate and complete collections)
    I started with only ohcs and omnis but have recently been buying more tpbs. I found I like the smaller size compared to the giant omnis. Also selling some and replacing with the cheaper complete collections is nice too. I think I made $250 profit on my uncanny force omni.

Also I think DC and marvel have done a good job with releasing some older material in decent sized collections. I really like the epics, completes, ultimates from marvel and the DC 80s/90s books as well. In the end I'm trying to be less picky about format so that I can read more.

BANNED

I'm still keeping my regular old single issues because of the old fan letters in comics such as Wolverine and original Spider Man and What If.

I still enjoy the wild theories and speculations comic book readers back then came up with for the old Spidey and Original uncanny x men comics

Quote Originally Posted by kdjac0434 View Post
    I started with only ohcs and omnis but have recently been buying more tpbs. I found I like the smaller size compared to the giant omnis. Also selling some and replacing with the cheaper complete collections is nice too. I think I made $250 profit on my uncanny force omni.

Also I think DC and marvel have done a good job with releasing some older material in decent sized collections. I really like the epics, completes, ultimates from marvel and the DC 80s/90s books as well. In the end I'm trying to be less picky about format so that I can read more.
    I did exactly the same, I sold off all of my marvel Omni's (I had pretty much every white whale) and made enough cash to buy close to 50 complete/ultimate collections and pay a deposit on a new car. Everyone is a winner

Spectacular Member

I cover seal my trades. They are what I am willing to lend to others to experience comics.

At times though I do want to upgrade to hardcovers or absolute, but I'm reluctant because I'd rather have more story.
    I've upgraded from trades:
    Invisibles to the OHC (considered that omnibus a long time and just stumbled on the OHC recently)
    Promethea to Absolute
    All Star Superman to Absolute
    X-Statix and Astonishing X-men to Omnibus

I'm also at crossroads when it comes to getting collections I read when I was young (and yeah I still own them tattered away somewhere at my folks). Tossing up with getting a nostalgic title that was prolly crap to getting something you've been highly recommended or even completing one of the many series I'm already well behind on. It's always a tough choice.

I do it all the time. I don't even know how many Iron Man trades I have that I also have the singles too. I also do that with my Doctor Who comics.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Fantastic Member

If you decide to sell the single issues for the trades or hardcovers, hold off as long as possible. There is no guarantee, in this climate, the collections will be complete and if you sold the single issues in anticipation or to fund the collections and the series is cancelled.... whelp, I'm looking at you Sandman Mystery Theatre.

A friend donated to my collection almost an entire run of the Invincible hardcovers. I have the trades. Many are autographed -- the first being signed by Kirkman and Walker. I'm in a pickle because I prefer the larger hardcover format but I put in a lot of work to get those signatures.
    Last edited by John Aston; 02-06-2018 at 07:11 AM.

I have the U.K reprints of Spider-man the U.S singles Essentials and the omnibus' plus the U.K annuals heck I even have the collected run on digital I just love Spidey!
    Hail Hydra!

There's honestly so much content, I recommend diversity

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Aston View Post
    If you decide to sell the single issues for the trades or hardcovers, hold off as long as possible. There is no guarantee, in this climate, the collections will be complete and if you sold the single issues in anticipation or to fund the collections and the series is cancelled.... whelp, I'm looking at you Sandman Mystery Theatre.
    Sh!t like this is what put me off selling my singles a long time ago. DC is more guilty of Marvel, but both companies have burned readers.

On the flip side, I now have duplicate singles of entire runs that I intended on custom binding at one point, only to see official collections solicited. And still other series that are in single, trade, HC, Deluxe/Omni, etc. The issue has long ago become space (or lack of it!). God knows my apartment isn't getting any bigger, yet I keep buying more.

It's truly an illness.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Personally, I only get trades. The only exception is that I'm getting the Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows singles alongside the trades. My reasoning is that it supports a series that isn't a given that it'll last and it's the only one that I get the single issues alongside the trades that I would be getting anyways, so it's fine. However, it has confirmed to me that trades are the best way to read this stuff.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)