Thread: Superman #6

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Superman #6

So another fantastic issue and a great characterization packed with awesome action scenes.

This is the best Rebirth title!!!

BANNED

This felt so self-congratulatory.

The issue aimed to give some Superman 'moments', and except for the last page, I don't think any of them delivered.

spoilers:
    The Kryptonian spirits making the House of El symbol
    "Krypto... ...Sit"
    "Superman is here to stay"
    Superman is receiving the key to the city
    "I'm here to help"

All of delivered so awfully. The art was good, as usual, but it cases like the "I'm here to help" panel, it elevated the self-congratulatory nature of the issue.

I was reminded of Lobdell's Superman run, where a lot of the time, it felt like rather than writing good Superman stories, he wanted to remind me of other great Superman stories.

The last page with the introduced of Jon as Superboy was good, and Superman continues to present us with a much better written Jon than in Action Comics. Jon cheering for his dad in Action Comics was written so poorly that it was cringeworthy, here it wasn't, and Jon's interaction with other characters is actually endearing. The art also goes a long way to making him likable, his "Bat-Mom" line, and wearing the baseball cap are good examples.

I'm indifferent to the character overall, but I think this book can really get the ball rolling when it comes to building him a sizable fandom.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 09-07-2016 at 02:06 AM.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

This one...I liked? The rest of the arc felt totally generic to me - I was only getting it on my dad's behalf - but a few of the personal moments delivered for me here in the way the rest of the story didn't. Lois and Jonathan at home, Superman defending "my boy", the 'seal of approval', "the best part is what happens when you take them off"...it worked for me this time. The next issue was going to be the last, but if that delivers too, I might give the dinosaur arc a shot on my own.
    Buh-bye

I think it was issue three where I figured out I liked the book enough on its own merits to keep it going. Tomasi has his moments of silly dialogue but its tempered enough with me by lots of action packed moments, genuine emotional moments, and of course the art. I get where Clemintine is coming from in one instance, this issue really did amp up the "This is the one and only Superman to stay" narrative throughout, and the Jon being the El legacy thing was a bit eye rolling (I'm genuinely starting to like the kid, but I'll never waver that there is no "legacy" needed for anyone to carry on but Superman himself), but I'm guessing we'll disperse from that going forward now that the first arc is done. This is probably the point Tomasi was talking about where referencing the New 52 Superman and the fact that he's a stranger Superman will cease.

All in all not a terrible place to be after being so incredibly disappointed just a few months ago.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Damn. This issue was like one big victory lap.....and I loved it lol

This issue reads like there's triumphant music playing in the background the whole time, and every splash page the horns blow their loudest. This issue wasn't interested in big character development (though Clark does show some growth by letting Jon in the hero world) but I don't think that was the point it was after anyway. I think it's pretty clear that this issue was just supposed to be about that feeling of triumph.

I'm right with anyone that says Jon is really written pretty well here. The highlight, for me, are his interactions with his parents this issue. The Lois and Jon scene makes me even more sure of my Lois and Jon bedtime stories mini idea. The back an forth between them is effortless and sweet. The Clark and Jon scene is pretty nice bookending being done by Tomasi and Gleason. Clark giving Jon the glasses and hat, and the "what happens when you take them off" line is fantastic.

This issue sorta just made me kinda happy, man. I can't wait for the aftermath issue. But even more than that, I can't wait for the *wipes drool away* dinosaur arc. This book has me hooked, man!

Ultimate Member

I really, really like this.

I haven't really enjoyed the Superman books for a long time but this was really good.

Really looking forward to what comes next.