Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Superman #6

Incredible Member

So superdad gets a key to the city for what exactly? Because the only thing he gets it for to me is claiming the new 52 supes hard work. And sorry peter but he isn't the genuine deal to me.

BANNED

Does this mean that DC's Super-90's Revival is over?

Can I check out the next issue without fear of a Kenny Braverman comeback?

This was pretty self-indulgent, but I still loved it. It makes me happy for Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    So superdad gets a key to the city for what exactly? Because the only thing he gets it for to me is claiming the new 52 supes hard work. And sorry peter but he isn't the genuine deal to me.
    He's not claimed any of the New 52 Superman's hard work as his own. He is receiving a key for his own accomplishments. We can see in this issue that people on the ground were watching Superman battle the Eradicator. Stopping that menace, who attacked Bibbo's bar and the moon, meant something to these people and seeing this new Superman they don't know as well yet (they all know that the other Superman died) take care of the first moon landing artifacts was moving in terms of letting people see how much this Superman cared for and respected their world and their human accomplishments. I thought it was cheesy in the best, classic Superman, sense.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Don't forget the fact that he just recently saved the world from Doomsday and that invasion in Justice League: Rebirth. I think the issue 7 solicit makes a direct callback to Doomsday indicating that it's already happened. Lets not forget that big splash page of him saving the day a bunch in issue 1 of Superman. It was in the Rebirth suit so I have to assume that it was pretty recently. He's been a busy guy.

At the very least him beating Eradicator and Doomsday is why he's getting the key to the city.

PS did anyone else catch that beautiful art deco take on Metropolis by Gleason? You can tell the team is interested in hitting all of the Superman sweet spots . It's even completed by the jets flying above! Fun stuff lol

I gotta agree with those saying that this was (one of) the most patting-yourself-on-the-back Superman issues I have ever read. I agree with almost every self-congratulatory complaint made in this thread.

Yet somehow I didnt absolutely hate it.

And for a change, I actually bought the issue the day it came out instead of waiting a few weeks like I have typically been doing.

Okay Tomasi, you've managed to keep me strung along here for six issues and I think you'll get a seventh out of me too. If you can keep me from hating the book and Superdad and the whole mess that brought us to this status quo (without making the Super-family creepy body snatchers stealing two dead people's lives) I might just have to admit that this whole debacle wasn't (completely) the trainwreck I expected.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Overall this was a well written, well drawn and satisfying conclusion to the first story arc. I look forward to the next.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Loved it, so glad for the return scene. It's a great time to be a Superman Fan, these books got me back to collecting print comics because I want to own and covet them (but digital is still easier to read for these poor eyes)

Always Rakzo

Gleason's artwork was SPECTACULAR without a doubt. Easily some of the most memorable scenes I've seen recently.

I still consider Supergirl the better written Superread of the week but in terms of pure bombastic superhero stuff, this was more successful I would say.

Jon's line "Superman is for everybody!" Man, that made me smile so wide.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Astonishing Member

Also this issue just makes me realize how absolutely bizarre the "Batman leaves Superman in awe" concept really is. I mean this was pretty much another Tuesday for Clark but he still yanked his dog out of the eradicator, absorbed the thoughts of countless Kryptonians, and punched something so hard the impact went off like a Nuke, all while he was in space.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Also this issue just makes me realize how absolutely bizarre the "Batman leaves Superman in awe" concept really is. I mean this was pretty much another Tuesday for Clark but he still yanked his dog out of the eradicator, absorbed the thoughts of countless Kryptonians, and punched something so hard the impact went off like a Nuke, all while he was in space.
    Yeah, well. It's like having a pet hamster that can count to 5 for one of us, it's all relative Batman's cool but Superman is SUPERMAN.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I had a huge smile on my face reading this.

I had my reservations given how we got to this set up,but damn it,Tomasi and Gleason have threaded the needle successfully in a way Jurgens hasn't yet. This book is so damn enjoyable that the big caped elephant in the room is far less noticeable than it was at the start. Jon is enjoyable here,Lois is a badass and Superman...wow. He is truly,in attitude and personality the best of Pre FLASHPOINT Superman and his New 52 counterpart. He takes no crap,yet isn't reckless for the sake of " kewlness". I can honestly say this Superman would never be stupid enough to feed Lois to the parasite.( Sorry,it still bothers me two years later.)

Makes me wish we had Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder still on the other book. I think they would have KILLED it with this new direction. Imagine Baka and Jon hanging out together....
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

They still have to make sense of it all, though. He has to be the proper Superman of this Earth or it'll never come full circle to me. It'll never be right if they stick with this "second adopted world" mantra. The problems are less noticeable in a book where the standalone story is fun, but its still a stink hanging in the air that must be dealt with. They made the mess and now they have to fix the mess. I'm not going to let one good title give them a pass on the massive lore problems they've created. Ignoring it and just pretending all is normal is not good enough, not by a damn sight. It needs to be tied up and the sooner the better. This can't wait until the next revamp which will inevitably erase all this doppleganger stuff in the first place.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-07-2016 at 05:56 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    They still have to make sense of it all, though. He has to be the proper Superman of this Earth or it'll never come full circle to me. It'll never be right if they stick with this "second adopted world" mantra. The problems are less noticeable in a book where the standalone story is fun, but its still a stink hanging in the air that must be dealt with.
    Oh I agree,and it's still puzzling why they had to go in this direction with this set up. They could have easily done for this line what they did for pretty much everyone else. Just have the missing memories of the preFlashpoint universe just awaken in Superman and Lois. The Superdad and Lois from Lois and Clark could have been explained away as time echoes that disappear when Lois and Superman remember their whole history,which now includes an 8 year old Jon Kent. Superman Rebirth special could have filled in most of the blanks of the missing time now inserted into history,including the circumstances of Jon's birth and upbringing...then you can hit the ground running in both books. Nothing more explained. No more Nuperman and Superdad nonsense. Just one Superman who gets his history fixed and go from there. That way you wouldn't have this uncertainty hanging over everything.

The only thing lost would have been the 2 issues if Convergence and the Lois and Clark mini,but you could still have worked the important parts back into continuity if needed. For instance,Superman and Lois could have still been captured by Brainiac and held on tellos for a year,had Jon,then returned like a few weeks after they were taken. The Convergence two partner introducing Jon could easily been kept canon.

Oh,and yes,SM/WW would have been conviently wiped out,but Greg Rucka seems to be doing that anyway.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 09-07-2016 at 06:25 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.