Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Superman #6

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Imagine Baka and Jon hanging out together....
    Oh god, stop!! You're gonna make my head explode with how cute and amazing that would be

Great issue, if a little self-indulgent. Spectacular artwork from Gleeson too. That splash with Supes pulling the classic pose on the moon: pure perfection.
    Last edited by Batmaniac; 09-07-2016 at 07:55 PM.

Extraordinary Member

There were some times of awkward dialogue and I felt that I didn't actually get a lot of content in this issue. It was mostly just wrapping things up. But, it was really heartwarming. These moments were silly and bombastic, but they were also cute. The moment that Clark shares with John and the glasses was awesome. I can't wait to see the next arc.

Really good art work but I agree with those saying this was a very self indulgent issue. The saccharine Full House-like moments are just painful. Jon still reminds me of Anakin Skywalker with his "wow wee gee wiz" reactions.

I liked the over the top sci if action and concepts in the issue. It's what Superman should center around. Things like fighting an android in space with an alien super dog, absorbing cosmic souls, walking through a ten mega ton blast, etc. I hate when writers try to make Superman into Batman. Superman should be fighting alien overlords, flying through the sun, and performing other worldly feats.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Yeah 100%. I've been saying since issue 2 that Gleason has been really tapping into this Golden age/ Fleischer Superman cartoon vibe.

Gleason basically recreates this.....

I do love Gleason's call backs to the Golden Age and the Fleischer Films.
    Last edited by Robotman; 09-08-2016 at 12:35 AM.

Astonishing Member

I like the idea of the arc, which is that the "real" Superman is back. I did not like the approach taken in this issue, which was to get that point across by re-creating the "classic" Supes, panel after panel.

Holy crapsticks, this was SO MUCH FUN!!

I loved it. Absolutely loved it. Beautiful optimism and determination just pouring from Superman whenever he's on panel. Lois and Jon were great, too - hearwarming and with a lot of personality (loved the "Bat-Mom" joke, in particular) The art is a mix of new, 40's classic, and even Disney, and I think it's perfect - and fits the tone of the story very well. Really makes me wish Jurgens was drawing Action, actually.

That was freakin' awesome. Hopefully this team is on the Superbooks for a looooong time to come. I don't care if DC has to Kickstarter the damn thing to keep them on it, lol It feel so good to be reading Superman again.

All that said, I feel the need to mention that I do still truly feel for our fellow fans who connected with the New52 version of the character and I hope he can somehow have some kind of book again for you all, even if it's digital. Knowing what that feels like for 5 years... it sucks.
    Last edited by JAK; 09-08-2016 at 02:49 AM.

BANNED

Critically, this issue is tied with Wonder Woman #4 for the best reviewed issue of a Rebirth comic.

I really enjoyed this issue. It did get a little heavy handed with the "this is the real Superman" stuff at times but still a lot of fun. I love that Superman didn't forget about Krypto. Plus the "Krypto sit!" panel was good fun. The sheer crazy of this story with Eradicator, Kryptonia souls and a blast that causes a moon quake was just so much fun. This book is my favorite and I'm eager for more. I read it first thing.

Astonishing Member

Loved it.

I mean I don't even just love the crazy bits of this arc. Like, Eradicator is pretty lame, but spiritual succeeding his own Batman run by having Lois don the Hellbat is so cool, feels like that JLA Classified arc where Batman has a flying saucer in his sci-fi closet. I loved his "Hnnnn" here when Superman apologized about wrecking his secret Mooncave. Loaded with "hell yeah" moments, but hey, that's Superman, man.

There was a bit of beating fans over the head with "This is your Superman". Those parts aren't anything new to Superman, though, but it's definitely a case of selling or hammering home not just "this is your Superman" but also "THIS IS YOUR SUPERBOY", too, because they're selling Superdad hard. But I love Superdad.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I may be in the minority, but I did not like this issue. I might have liked it as an 11 year old, but I found it boring.

Problems:

The city/world just accepting this new Superman so quickly. Also, why is he getting a key? He messed up the moon, which one wood assume would have effects on the ocean tides and cause damage. In every book they are starting to gloss over the fact that this is a completely new person and that this worlds Superman is dead.

There was never an actual challenge for Superman. There wasn't a single moment in this whole arc that made me think Superman might lose. There was no gravity to anything taking place. This issue especially.

Superman now has complete access to the watchtower? Just walks in and stakes his claim, doesn't need to be voted in or anything? Apparently there is no security in the watchtower either?

Now puts his 10 year old son, who is not invulnerable, out there as a hero. Terrible parenting period.

This was a bad week in general for Superman IMO.

Get's his ass kicked in Aquaman.

Looks like an inexperienced clown in JL. He also mentioned Lois and Jon again as one of his main reasons for doing what he was doing, rather than just focusing on his adopted planet.

This is the Superman that turned so many people off, and why a reboot was needed in 2011. The knocks on Superman....over-powered, not relateable, too perfect, etc.

Not challenged in his own book. Used as a pawn to make other characters look stronger in other books. Put on a job to take him out of the real threat, and watch his internal struggle(only now his internal struggle is focused on his family).

Well now I can't wait for Jon and Damian's book to hit the shelf

Astonishing Member

The page with Krypto standing on the eradicator might be the best Superman related image I've seen in some time along with Clark holding those chains infront of the crowd in AC #42.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

BANNED

I set myself up for disapointment. It's just that Krypto's snout coming out of Eradicator seemed much larger than Labrador Krypto and I thought that Tomasi would allow a little bit of memory for 52 Supes to remain post Rebirth.

I keep reading that this issue is self congratulatory and full of 'this is the real Superman' messages. Was this really necessary? Did Superdad fans here feel the need for this?
    Last edited by dumbduck; 09-08-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Rofl, while I understand many complaints, I loved it. Tomasi and Gleason opened up the same type of cannon that Johns uses, although we did get spurts here and there throughout the arc. But they managed to keep it restrained by comparison, not going too snappy with dialogue or going up the nose with meta until now. In small bursts, I like this from Johns, too.

If you didn't like Jon going into this, you just got alarm clocked by a super soaker.

Quote Originally Posted by D4BBT View Post
    I may be in the minority, but I did not like this issue. I might have liked it as an 11 year old, but I found it boring.

Problems:

The city/world just accepting this new Superman so quickly. Also, why is he getting a key? He messed up the moon, which one wood assume would have effects on the ocean tides and cause damage. In every book they are starting to gloss over the fact that this is a completely new person and that this worlds Superman is dead.

There was never an actual challenge for Superman. There wasn't a single moment in this whole arc that made me think Superman might lose. There was no gravity to anything taking place. This issue especially.

Superman now has complete access to the watchtower? Just walks in and stakes his claim, doesn't need to be voted in or anything? Apparently there is no security in the watchtower either?

Now puts his 10 year old son, who is not invulnerable, out there as a hero. Terrible parenting period.

This was a bad week in general for Superman IMO.

Get's his ass kicked in Aquaman.

Looks like an inexperienced clown in JL. He also mentioned Lois and Jon again as one of his main reasons for doing what he was doing, rather than just focusing on his adopted planet.

This is the Superman that turned so many people off, and why a reboot was needed in 2011. The knocks on Superman....over-powered, not relateable, too perfect, etc.

Not challenged in his own book. Used as a pawn to make other characters look stronger in other books. Put on a job to take him out of the real threat, and watch his internal struggle(only now his internal struggle is focused on his family).
    This is why I'm a little confused by this direction. Yes it appeases a portion of the Superman fan base but it also brings back a lot of the issues many people have with Superman. I'm more worried about the character moving forward once the Rebirth hype wears off. I don't have a problem with him being "overpowered" as long as he's fighting huge threats and world destroyers (like he was in this issue). But Superdad kind of plays up many of the character's supposed stigmas. Supes has always had the rep of being a "boring Boy Scout". Superdad is basically Aticus Finch. While a very noble figure, he's not someone who is going to win over younger fans with his stoic stiff demeanor. He's not really the defender of humanity and champion of the people anymore. Protecting his son is now his main goal and dominant character trait.