Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Superman #6

Incredible Member

I really liked Nuperman, really did.... And I Still think it's headed for a merger of the two.... But you know what? I'm not really feeling the Hater's pain here... It's not like they were feeling mine back in '11...

I feel it disturbing that Superdad is riding out of NSuperman coattails.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    All this salt over Jon is hilarious. lol. He's a fun kid. I dig him.
    Agreed. I love these stories with him too. I can't wait to see him interact with Damian.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Astonishing Member

OK. This time I wasn't able to find anyone kind enough to let me take a quick glance at their digital purchases, but I was rather curious about this particular issue. So I broke my oath and I bought it.

Someone before me said that this issue is self-indulgent, and oh boy, it is true. A whole issue about SUPERMAN SUPERMAN SUPERMAN and his son and EVERYBODY loves loves loves him and he's heroic and really, really self-confident, and the kid is cute, look at how cute he is, and the family scenes are incredibly cute, too (seriously, do these writers know how family dynamics work outside of "Full House"?)

But.

I gotta say, the new version of the Eradicator - a character I never particularly cared for - is really good. Seriously, one of the strongest characterization for a villain since the first appearance of the Phantom King, and definitely one of the best villains of the latest years. And Lois wasn't particularly irritating, either (well, not as irritating as she currently is in Dan Jurgens' AC, but everybody is equally annoying there).

So... I'd say that the Eradicator really puts this arc on par with the best New52 Superman stories (there aren't many of them, OK, but still).
    Last edited by Myskin; 09-11-2016 at 12:43 AM.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Some of the celebratory lines and moments felt a bit forced, but I still enjoyed the issue. Lots of nice moments and imagery. Kind of cheesy, but not necessarily in a bad way.

Astonishing Member

Oh, and I almost forgot. Some material for continuity fans who are currently attempting to put continuity pieces together...

I really can't remember which issues these details appeared in, but the new origin of the Eradicator (part of a robotic army under Zod's rule) is exactly the same one from Loeb's and Kelly's "Return to Krypton" saga. And flashback Jor-El is from that saga too. Is it a coincidence? Yes, I think so.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Naruto1996 View Post
    Well now I can't wait for Jon and Damian's book to hit the shelf
    Before that we get a whole arc, as they meet in this book, starting with issue 10 in november

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    All this salt over Jon is hilarious. lol. He's a fun kid. I dig him.
    And the way Gleason draws him! He is awesome

Spectacular Member

I had been avoiding this series because I was pissed at ANOTHER new number one issue! This is the fourth series now?? I think it should have gone back to original numbering like Action Comics did. Nevertheless with all the good reviews I am going to pick up issue 5 and start from there.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Definitely track down the first four when you can, too, not a terribly high number of seams. The whole arc is pretty well connected.

seriously, do these writers know how family dynamics work outside of "Full House"?
    It's entirely possible to dislike the writing, but I'd say Tomasi being a married father is pretty complete when it comes to credibility.

Neat continuity find.

I LOVED all the celebration and praise aspects. The notion of heroes getting their due and being loved by the public is something that most comics do not have anymore. It felt so old school to see Superman celebrated for being a hero. A HERO. It doesn't always have to be thankless. It kinda amazes me that certain people are angry that Superman is being treated like the best thing since sliced bread... well, duh! He's Superman. It feels just right.

But I get it. It's not YOUR guy. So it's wrong.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Lol, yeah this does feel very much like the entire FULL HOUSE writing staff writing a Superman comic book. Nothing feels real or true, emotionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I feel it disturbing that Superdad is riding out of NSuperman coattails.
    What do you mean?

I miss post-Flashpoint Kal and I wish he hadn't died, and that pre-Flashpoint Clark hadn't come back the way he did.

But I don't quite understand your meaning.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Lol, yeah this does feel very much like the entire FULL HOUSE writing staff writing a Superman comic book. Nothing feels real or true, emotionally.
    I don't think Tomasi hits every beat, and tended to over-egg the pudding a little in this arc, but fundamentally I like his take on the parent-child relationship. If it's a bit superpowered, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    I really liked Nuperman, really did.... And I Still think it's headed for a merger of the two.... But you know what? I'm not really feeling the Hater's pain here... It's not like they were feeling mine back in '11...
    I hate mergers in any form. But for the Supermen ? I would hate it more than anything. Really, it's something that I find detrimental both to Nuperman and Superdad, Malois, Jon, and every character who knew Nuperman. If they come from different "universes", then they aren't exactly the same person, even in the past. And it's fine, and even if I would have loved two Clark Kent/Superman tag-teaming at time, I would greatly favour a Nuperman being remembered as his own character, instead of being retconned so heavy-handedly by a merger.