Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Superman #6

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I hate mergers in any form. But for the Supermen ? I would hate it more than anything. Really, it's something that I find detrimental both to Nuperman and Superdad, Malois, Jon, and every character who knew Nuperman. If they come from different "universes", then they aren't exactly the same person, even in the past. And it's fine, and even if I would have loved two Clark Kent/Superman tag-teaming at time, I would greatly favour a Nuperman being remembered as his own character, instead of being retconned so heavy-handedly by a merger.
    Agreed completely. They're extremely different- I don't think a merger is possible without disrespecting both of them- but especially the late Superman.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Oh, and I almost forgot. Some material for continuity fans who are currently attempting to put continuity pieces together...

I really can't remember which issues these details appeared in, but the new origin of the Eradicator (part of a robotic army under Zod's rule) is exactly the same one from Loeb's and Kelly's "Return to Krypton" saga. And flashback Jor-El is from that saga too. Is it a coincidence? Yes, I think so.
    Damn son. that plot lookin real thick now

I wouldn't be mad at all if they went with Loeb and Kelly's "Return to Krypton" version of Krypton. It's basically neo Silver age.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeefBourguignon View Post
    This is not the most positive Superman forum at the moment. Lots of New 52 fans still upset and will find anything about Rebirth to hate.
    I don't get this at all, while I was enjoying the Nu52 Superman a lot, especially towards the end, this feels like the best the Superman books have been since the Triangle years.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Damn son. that plot lookin real thick now

I wouldn't be mad at all if they went with Loeb and Kelly's "Return to Krypton" version of Krypton. It's basically neo Silver age.
    And possible,seeing how Berganza is editor now as he was then. Is it him finally getting the Krypton he approved with Loeb and Kelly 15 years ago? Remember that version was scuttled when it was decided BIRTHRIGHT was the then new origin. Food for thought.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    And possible,seeing how Berganza is editor now as he was then. Is it him finally getting the Krypton he approved with Loeb and Kelly 15 years ago? Remember that version was scuttled when it was decided BIRTHRIGHT was the then new origin. Food for thought.
    Interesting. I'll mentally take a bite outta that! This would explain why Berganza was cool with Morrison doing what he did to the look of Krypton. It's pretty reminiscent of "Return to Krypton."

So far it's 2 for Loeb/Kelly's Krypton and only 1 for the Donner/Johns Krypton (most recent issue of Action). Personally, I'm all for the neo Golden/Silver age Krypton of Loeb/Kelly.

Donner/Johns Krypton references is Superman with borked memories until I'm proven wrong.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Donner/Johns Krypton references is Superman with borked memories until I'm proven wrong.
    I imagine that the one piece of Donner Krypton that'll always likely remain is the crystal/sunstone Fortress of Solitude. It's been used in so many incarnations it's transcended Donner and that incarnation.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Oh the crystals I have no problem with. I'm just talking the stronger allusions like the Brando Jor-El and stuff which point toward strong Donner/Johns influences. The crystals have already integrated into other origins in regards to Kryptonian architecture, they work with anything now.

Plus I want it to be pre-Crisis Jor-El because I've worked out this cute little thing in my head where Jon time travels and meets his grandpa, and he gives him his classic headband. Then Jon could wear it since they won't give one back to Kara.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-11-2016 at 05:57 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't get this at all, while I was enjoying the Nu52 Superman a lot, especially towards the end, this feels like the best the Superman books have been since the Triangle years.
    Eh, taste is subjective.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Just got through reading #6, wow... This is what Superman is all about in my opinion! Krypto the super dog, standing on the moon with the American flag in the background, wow. This made me smile. Since Rebirth, my pile of comics to read has increased, it's almost like I can't keep current, but Superman is one of the titles that somehow gets read before a lot of others. I just hope they don't bring back the trunks.
    I have no beef with Vegans

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    And if they had come by it honestly I'd be all for it but since it's predicated on some ol' Bullshit I can't in good conscience get behind it, I just can't.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    Just got through reading #6, wow... This is what Superman is all about in my opinion! Krypto the super dog, standing on the moon with the American flag in the background, wow. This made me smile. Since Rebirth, my pile of comics to read has increased, it's almost like I can't keep current, but Superman is one of the titles that somehow gets read before a lot of others. I just hope they don't bring back the trunks.
    Im with you! THIS is how Superman is supposed to be and what made the title great. Absolutely loved it. Superman has returned as my favorite title and New Super-Man has joined it as my second favorite. Can't wait for the next issue.

And guess what? Tomasi's older Superman is very much like the younger New 52 Superman. Really the only thing he has in common with the pre-Flashpoint Superman, especially what he was in the aughts, is that he's married. Even though he's supposedly the same guy. But he's more aggressive like New 52 Superman, he has a backbone like New 52 Superman, he's not all about the letter of the law and diplomacy if the stakes are higher than that, like New 52 Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    And guess what? Tomasi's older Superman is very much like the younger New 52 Superman. Really the only thing he has in common with the pre-Flashpoint Superman, especially what he was in the aughts, is that he's married. Even though he's supposedly the same guy. But he's more aggressive like New 52 Superman, he has a backbone like New 52 Superman, he's not all about the letter of the law and diplomacy if the stakes are higher than that, like New 52 Superman.
    Im curious how they'll handle the Clark Kent persona, if/when they bring it back.

I agree with you about Superdad having a lot of the personality traits of Nuperman, just in an older and more mature version. And I sort of hate myself for enjoying it, given the mess that brought us to this point and the insulting way they shoved Nuperman off the board.

But we've yet to see how they write Clark Kent. We see Superdad at home, and so far what we see fits well enough with how I view Superman to satisfy. He appears to be a more relaxed and chill Superman who doesnt have to put up the stoic, unflappable heroic face he does when in public "Superman" mode. I get very little of the "Im really just a good ol' farmboy who happens to be an alien god" out of "Farm Clark" and I approve so far.

When Clark puts the glasses back on and begins to live the other half of his life again, how they handle that will really be the deciding factor on whether this is a viable take on Superman that follows the basic precepts of the character (as I see them), or a continuation of the post-Crisis era that really dumped all that depth and nuance for a streamlined, Marvel-esque vision.

If they dodge that bullet and dont treat Superman as a regular person with incredible powers then I'll be beyond thrilled and might even embrace this version wholeheartedly, despite the pile of crap on Nuperman's grave. If they revert to "Clark is who I am and Superman is just a role I play" then I'm out.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yeah, good point. Its hard to get a feel on how this will be in total until the dual identity is firmly back in place. I'm with you, I'm not interested in "I'm Clark Kent but am just Superman because I have to be" status quo again. If anything maybe the addition of Jon keeps that whimsical "I enjoy being Superman just as much" feel alive. It shouldn't be necessary, writers should just know that regardless, but these days most don't so if Jon helps in that regard, nice. Just in the same way I think Jon is helping keep at bay that characterization of Clark being the whipped and pushover husband.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-18-2016 at 02:41 PM.