Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Quantum View Post
    I contend - speaking from a decade of first hand experience - that a happily married life, looking from the outside in and from a perspective of dramatic narrative, is boring.

I think the whole thing could be squared if Lois was simply given a way to physically keep up with her boys. The Bat-Armour was a great example of this.

She's a phenomenal character. From a historical standpoint, she's been the #1 person to challenge and hold to account the most powerful being in the known universe. I feel that major part of that aspect is going to be lost when her role shifts to one of unwavering love and support.
    I certainly get what you're saying, but as someone who's coming up on 7 years of happy marriage myself, marriage is just the beginning of the story really (as you also know, I'm sure). She may not be the source of drama directly, and I do agree that something is lost in that, but what's gained is them facing whatever comes.. head-on, side-by-side. I love the maturity of that, which is pretty fitting for Superman's demeanor. Given the number of characters who aren't married, there's a lot to be mined. Lois is still very much her own person, who was chasing stories as "Author X" - she can still chase those leads while Clark is adventuring, teaching, or even just relaxing with Jon. There's a lot of story potential still there, some that wouldn't have the same impact in a different situation.

The Bat-Suit was a neat idea - building her a set of Kryptonian armor for those times when she needs it would be pretty cool.

I think the whole thing could be squared if Lois was simply given a way to physically keep up with her boys. The Bat-Armour was a great example of this.
    I disagree with this. Lois was never meant to be a superhero or to have super powers in any way. She is a reporter, a journalist. Her marriage to Superman and her motherhood shouldn't change that. She doesn't need to be flying around with Superman unless he is carrying her. That world belongs to Superman and Superman alone.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Deep breath, everyone, and take a step back

1. Watch the insults; not just insults towards individuals but towards fans/groups of fans i.e. 'Clois supporters' or 'SM/WW shippers.'

2. Don't call anyone or any group 'haters.' It's a generalization and it's trolling.

3. Stick to the topic and don't go poking sharp sticks at folks who disagree with you by posting inflammatory comments or pictures.

Thanks
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    I disagree with this. Lois was never meant to be a superhero or to have super powers in any way. She is a reporter, a journalist. Her marriage to Superman and her motherhood shouldn't change that. She doesn't need to be flying around with Superman unless he is carrying her. That world belongs to Superman and Superman alone.
    What world? The world of superheroes. That hasn't belonged to Superman alone since the DC and Marvel universes became a thing.

I never understood how some seem to think Lois is holding Superman back. She's a supporting character and a love interested, both of which have a lot to offer for story and drama. I also never really understood the mentality that being married would limit the drama. If Superman is single and has relationship trouble, that person can just leave. That's not drama, that the end of drama. The character left the story. Being married, it's not that simple. The spouse can't just leave, especially if there is family involved. Not to mention that being married didn't really change the characters. Lois is still an investigative author and journalist. Clark is still Superman. Now they have more concerns and drama, not less. They have all the problems they had before plus the strains and obligations of family.

I've also always thought that Lois adds a lot to the mythos. She's a strong, independent woman with a sound moral compass. That's what draws Superman to her. Sure, she's played the damsel in distress role plenty. Though who in Superman's supporting cast hasn't filled that role from time to time. It goes with the territory. If you know a superhero, eventually a villain will come looking for you. Lois has also shown that she's capable of looking out for herself without Superman on plenty of occasions.

A good supporting character tells us something about the hero. She reinforces that bold determination and strong sense of right that Superman has. Plus part of Superman's popularity is that the nerdy Clark Kent is put upon, doesn't always catch the ladies' attention, and is a bit awkward. Then add Lois to that, who isn't a woman that fawns over our hero and pursues him, but rather he must pursue her. Throw in that Superman was his own competition and it makes for a fun story. So Lois is a key part of some of the theme reversals that made Superman work so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What world? The world of superheroes. That hasn't belonged to Superman alone since the DC and Marvel universes became a thing.
    I mean in his comic books where he stars. He is the superhero and Lois the normal human supporting cast member. Once she gets super powers or super science tools that dynamic is broken. imo.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Superman as a character has seen a massive decline in the last several years, he is seen as outdated and boring by considerable people so frustrated fans then resort to attacking the easiest target that they can find and that's Lois. When they further look at the likes of Batman and Iron Man their attacks intensify, for some time (New-52) the DC management started agreeing with those fans and thus gave us Superman/Wonder Woman ship which in many ways exacerbated the problem. For one it vindicated the stance of the haters that Superman needs to date Diana of all people to be considered cool, secondly it put Superman's love life in the spot light like it never had been before and a result it fuelled extremist Clois supporters who felt they got screwed over by a now mostly panned New-52 initiative, the final outcome is ofcourse shipper wars to which the franchise has been held hostage to. Lois wasn't a problem until the New-52 atrocity came along, now she is arguably a problem because she has more militant and insecure fans, their stance has been vindicated by the failure of the New-52 and now Superman is truly stuck with her in ways he never was in the past.
    He as a character hasn't been written well a lot of the time for the past 10-15 years. Can't entirely blame the writers since a character so powerful and so decent is a tough nut to crack while trying not to be redundant in what story you are trying to tell vs. what has been told before. That includes his other characters too. A lot of the difficulty stems from the rise of the antihero characters both at DC/Marvel as well as in the Indies gaining appeal. It becomes harder to write Superman in that sense because he, comparatively, has a good family life while other heroes have problems actually keeping a decent, ideal life running as a result of both their personal character flaws as well as the world they live in. Not always true, but it certainly is that way for many of the characters being written, and it certainly made an atmosphere hover overhead.

Marital strife preceded the New 52 by at least 5 years. IMO, what they were shooting for is a sense of relatability (marital strife does happen) and also a way of saying that they as a couple still had problems. But they didn't exactly do the best of jobs in the process.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    I mean in his comic books where he stars. He is the superhero and Lois the normal human supporting cast member. Once she gets super powers or super science tools that dynamic is broken. imo.
    That is definitely the dynamic that has become ingrained over the course of years. A powerful being with a non-powerful being and how opposites are supposed to complement each other. It can work for temporary periods of time with her say having it for a day like All-Star though. It's happened numerous times where she has had temporary powers.

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    I never understood how some seem to think Lois is holding Superman back. She's a supporting character and a love interested, both of which have a lot to offer for story and drama. I also never really understood the mentality that being married would limit the drama. If Superman is single and has relationship trouble, that person can just leave. That's not drama, that the end of drama. The character left the story. Being married, it's not that simple. The spouse can't just leave, especially if there is family involved. Not to mention that being married didn't really change the characters. Lois is still an investigative author and journalist. Clark is still Superman. Now they have more concerns and drama, not less. They have all the problems they had before plus the strains and obligations of family.

I've also always thought that Lois adds a lot to the mythos. She's a strong, independent woman with a sound moral compass. That's what draws Superman to her. Sure, she's played the damsel in distress role plenty. Though who in Superman's supporting cast hasn't filled that role from time to time. It goes with the territory. If you know a superhero, eventually a villain will come looking for you. Lois has also shown that she's capable of looking out for herself without Superman on plenty of occasions.

A good supporting character tells us something about the hero. She reinforces that bold determination and strong sense of right that Superman has. Plus part of Superman's popularity is that the nerdy Clark Kent is put upon, doesn't always catch the ladies' attention, and is a bit awkward. Then add Lois to that, who isn't a woman that fawns over our hero and pursues him, but rather he must pursue her. Throw in that Superman was his own competition and it makes for a fun story. So Lois is a key part of some of the theme reversals that made Superman work so well.
    100% agree with you! and Very Well said! *smiles*
    IMHO opinion and as a very long time fan of Superman and of course Lois Lane.
    I also feel very strongly that Lois is indeed a very important part of the Superman mythos.
    Lois is the perfect foil Superman and his soulmate at least to this Superman fan anyway.
    Lois and Superman for me are like one the greatest fictional couples in history.
    Romeo and Juliet
    Caesar and Cleopatra
    Lois Lane and Clark Kent/Superman *winks*

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I contend - speaking from a decade of first hand experience - that a happily married life, looking from the outside in and from a perspective of dramatic narrative, is boring.
    But again, neither you nor anyone else in the world who's married is Superman. There is a twist towards fantastic and strange to his life, and by extension his family's life. Their domestic life will be played out on a Paul Bunyan scale with truly "normal" things being a reprieve from it sometimes.

I could see her doing something like this on occasion, or Clark making her a hi-tech stun-gun just in case. But I don't think physically doing what Superman and Superboy do all the time is what she's should do. I think it takes away from the idea that she's this normal person who kicks butt and is tough without needing to be able to punch out Doomsday or whoever.

I don't know if you watch Doctor Who or not (honestly I don't even watch it anymore) but I've always seen Lois as something akin to one of the Doctor's brave and amazingly clever companions.

She's a phenomenal character. From a historical standpoint, she's been the #1 person to challenge and hold to account the most powerful being in the known universe. I feel that major part of that aspect is going to be lost when her role shifts to one of unwavering love and support.
    But even in the current run she has been holding Superman accountable whenever he pulls something he knows is wrong. Since the arc has been called son of Superman, the stuff she's held him accountable for is in regards to their son. But I could easily see this Lois doing more in that department if Clark hasn't already rectified his mistake.

I don't see why holding your partner accountable and also supporting them has to be mutually exclusive. I know married people who are able to support their partner yet still provide a contrasting voice when it is need.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-08-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Thumbs up

Why she is detrimental? Superdad Family in DC Universe as main characters of Superman Comics.. Before this, I did not have any opinion because I know little of what happen during post crisis era.. I thought the character of lois could be admirable but out of my pleasure..

ALL NEW 52 CHARACTERS CHANGING.. OK... but all are the same character of N52(no another versions).. But Superman and Lois? the exceptions... They used the versions that NOT were from the start of N52 as if nothing matter, for then, make them part of this world in the end of rebirth and forget the others..

This relationship hurt the N52 Superman World.. They could not repeat this relation in N52? No... again these versions... again this bored superman...thanks for his marriage..

I no speak of eliminate them(superdad family) but... They could not evolve peacefully in N52 leaving the N52 superman like Superman? NO, that family had to be a future nuisance.

ALL WAS PERFECT, when this looked like both versions could live in the same universe(and the old version with the opportunity of evolve), without being a nuisance to the other, but this ends soon.. Thanks DC by this disaster.. The love for these versions and his marriage destroyed the world of Superman of N52, another superman replaced for this version...
    Last edited by adrikito; 09-08-2016 at 12:40 PM.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Now I've got little stake in this debate regarding Superman's love life but I recall that my old math teacher once warned us, or rather told us he knew that Lois Lane always would be the end of Superman, and well if you can't trust your math teacher who can you trust?
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 09-08-2016 at 12:45 PM.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

I just was just looking forward to the N52 counterparts getting together with some awkward tension. Guess they didn't but if they did, I probably could have gotten some laughs from some superdickery leading up to the dates/ the knot being tied.

Lois Lane is vital to the Superverse.

After Superman himself (and there is a big gap between them), she is the most important character in the Superverse (and the second most important female character in all of comicdom, after Wonder Woman). Within the Superverse, she is ahead of Luthor, ahead of Jimmy, ahead of any Kara, ahead of anyone associated with Superman.

That said, her biggest problem as a characters is for writers to find a good and consistent role within the Superverse that is not love interest to Superman.

I really wish they would totally expand her life beyond what she is to Superman, while still keeping Superman squarely in the picture.

Why can't she be known and rcognized as the World's Greatest Journalist? Lois should be kinda like, I dunno, the best parts of Anderson Cooper and Wolf Blitzer and (fill in name of better suited real-life journalist) combined. Her face should be on TV and known to millions around the DC Earth. As a journalist. She should have pulled off interviews that no one else could. She should have multiple best-sellers in addition to her multiple Pulitzer.

Lois Lane should be the Michael Jordan of Journalism.

Wait, screw that: Lois Lane should be the Batman of Journalism. As in, she's already mastered all 113 styles of reporting since childhood before she ever lays eyes on Kal-El.

Lois Lane should be a celebrity. Known all over the DC earth. Showing up on everyone's book making interviews or just been named and/or referenced by everyone at some point.