Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What if Anime and Manga no longer existed?

As a sequel to my previous "What if video games no longer existed" thread, I had dared propose something an even gloomier and potentially more grim and apocalyptic hypothetical scenario to the whole world. Beware, this thread may make you lose your entire sanity and give you lovecraftian-levels of stupefying insanity and madness.

Anyways...

1) What if Japanese Anime/Manga never became popular on a world-wide scale?

2) What if Japanese Anime/Manga never existed or became popular at all?

3) What if Japanese Anime/Manga stopped existing tomorrow?

Bonus: What would you do if Anime/Manga from Japan (or any nearby parts of East Asia, if I wanted to be a dick and make the scenario trickier) stopped existing? What similar things would you replace or substitute it? What would you turn to now? What happens to the world (no comments like "the world becomes a better place with all weeaboos are gone for good")?

BANNED

God, I'd be so happy.

I wouldn't be here on the CBR if there was no Anime/Manga.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

French comics would've taken the place manga did (ex. Persepolis). The US mainstream comic industry shot themselves in the foot and drove readers away with constant crossovers, stupid storytelling, ugly art, and lame gimmicks. People were looking for alternatives and since most people didn't know about the indies they thought manga was unique and different.

I think comics as a medium would be worse off though. Anime has gotten pretty sad though with the lower budgets and more panders.

If there hadn't been manga when I was growing up I wouldn't been reading comics right now apart from the occasional release like Persepolis and the Aya series.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    God, I'd be so happy.
    Why though?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Sniper View Post
    Why though?
    So many delicious tears.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    So many delicious tears.
    Snark much?

One of my greatest fears is death (accidents or diseases happens) without seeing finished One Piece or Berserk manga. The rest meh. Not sure if it for making me older, but I don't see the anime / manga have quality as before.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

In all honesty, anime/manga hasn't influenced my life at all, and I would not care. Every producer could stop tomorrow and I probably wouldn't even realize it for decades.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Seems like most of the posters here are American comic fans that don't get much into Anime/Manga I guess.

You will find plenty of Anime/Manga fans over at Rumblers. Not all of them hang out here as well. It's not for everyone, but many comics fans include non-American comics like Manga among their favorites.

Many American Comics Artists have said in interviews about the influence these have on their works.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I love horror manga big, BIG time. Some really creative & weirdly imaginative original work has been created with little fan fare. Unfortunately, we mostly seem to hear about the huge mega hits or the popular cute crap. Still, it's getting better as time goes on.

If manga suddenly stopped? I'd be looking at the growing manhwa comics coming out of South Korea. Lots of variety there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    I love horror manga big, BIG time. Some really creative & weirdly imaginative original work has been created with little fan fare. Unfortunately, we mostly seem to hear about the huge mega hits or the popular cute crap. Still, it's getting better as time goes on.

If manga suddenly stopped? I'd be looking at the growing manhwa comics coming out of South Korea. Lots of variety there.
    Seems Korean manhwa is one of the closest replacements for Japanese Manga in case the latter ceases to exist right? After all, it's about finding "the next best thing" if the "real best thing" was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Sniper View Post
    Seems Korean manhwa is one of the closest replacements for Japanese Manga in case the latter ceases to exist right? After all, it's about finding "the next best thing" if the "real best thing" was gone.
    I've picked up some impressive comics while I was stomping around Hong Kong back in the day.

Even though Manga's origin can be traced back to American GI's bringing comics & American tv/Disney movies to Japan after the war, Manga's influence is really all over the place.

Amazing Member

If they never existed pretty much half of Marvel and DC animation have never existed too since is when they have traditionally been done. Even outside the Big too, almost all animated series from 80s or 90s used to been animated in Japan. Even nowadays the situation has changed to be dependent from Japan to depend from Korea so most low budget animation like directs to video or series needs pretty much asian help to just even exist.

Batman and Superman the animated series, X-men evolution, half of DC directs to video movies like Green lantern First Flight, Flashpoint, the three hulk versus at marvel, the list is pretty long. Also Shigeto Koyama worked in big hero 6 being the main dessigner for Baymax, Mahehiro Maeda worked in Max Max fury road. Takafumi hori worked in the last Steven Universe episode, Masaaki yuasa worked in aventure time.

If we talk about influence i doubt that the best works of Frank Miller would have been possible without manga influence.

What I found funny about this question is that how disbalanced the situation is between both sides.

So let,s go invert the question. How much japan will lost if the rest of the world cease to exist in regards to manga/anime industry? Pretty much nothing. They needed the Disney influence in the begining and there are authors who are huge fans of western media like Hirohiko Araki. But finnancial support is a very different matter. What is profitable for them it,s their own market. The foreing help for anime consist pretty much only in stations like toonami or streaming services like chrunchyrol or funimation , but their main profit comes form producers like TV stations and editorials like Kodansha or Shusheisha and the sales of blue-ray DVD for their own country so the western market it,s pretty much something that it,s not too usefull for them to begin with.

About funding an original(I am not talking abouts things like Batman gotham knight, I talk about support them to let them do whathever they want) anime with western money is pretty much something very weird unless we talk about kickstarters, There is Space Dandy founded thanks to toonami but that`s all.

The colaboration with comics it,s also unbalanced, it,s not strange at all to see japanese artists working at marvel or doing covers even if they are living in their country like Gurihiru or Kia Asamiya(I am not sure if Sana Takeda or Takeshi Miyazawa live on Japan or America), but the opossite?. I don,t remeber any case of a western artist or writer trying to publish a manga, the only exception that i can think about it,s Stan Lee with Heroman and Ultimo.

Has marvel give a sign of support to any manga? There is the Atack On Titan omnibus but it,s the only case like ever. It looks even selfish to me that Toei spend a whole year doing an avengers series that is even very genuine and full of respect with the marvel cannon in their own way, and marvel never said anything about the little fact than Toei was working in anniversary remakes of series as myticals and main streams as Digimon, Dragon Ball or Sailor moon. I would have liked to see a month special in with Marvel tried to homenage them.