Default Best of the 1980s?

OK I'm curious. What do people think are the best stories, arcs, titles, series, etc., of the 1980s? I pretty much missed the decade and wouldn't mind catching up a bit.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I really liked the runs by Roy Thomas and George Perez. Most of the rest was blah.....
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Claremont X-Men and Wolfman Titans.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

This being the Wonder Woman forum, I'm assuming you want best Wonder Woman runs?
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Spectacular Member

I enjoyed the first arc of Gerry Conway's run that started in WW #269 in 1980. It brought the character "back to basics" after spending the '70s wandering around New York, Houston and WWII-Earth 2. He brought back the original supporting cast (Steve Trevor, Etta Candy, General Darnell and put Diana back in the military in Washington D.C. I enjoy issues #269 - 278.

After that, Roy Thomas did a brief but solid run in issues #288 - 296, although the first part was published in DC Comics Presents #41.

Dan Mishkin's run for the rest of the Pre-Crisis series was hit and miss for me. I remember liking the Circe in South America story and the Dr. Cyber appearance that followed, but I couldn't get into the gremlins and the Atomic Knight.

Then of course, Perez's Post-Crisis re-launch was the last good run of the '80s. While he stopped doing the art after the 2nd year, his stories were still pretty good.

Thanks, all. I'm gonna start with Perez, Vol. 1.

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    I enjoyed the first arc of Gerry Conway's run that started in WW #269 in 1980. It brought the character "back to basics" after spending the '70s wandering around New York, Houston and WWII-Earth 2. He brought back the original supporting cast (Steve Trevor, Etta Candy, General Darnell and put Diana back in the military in Washington D.C. I enjoy issues #269 - 278.

After that, Roy Thomas did a brief but solid run in issues #288 - 296, although the first part was published in DC Comics Presents #41.

Dan Mishkin's run for the rest of the Pre-Crisis series was hit and miss for me. I remember liking the Circe in South America story and the Dr. Cyber appearance that followed...
    I would agree with all of the above, ..EXCEPT returning Wonder Woman to the US military, at the expense of the independence that she enjoyed in the Mod (No Superpower) Era of the early 70s. Keep in mind that those changes were made to tie the WW comic into the set-up on Lynda Carter's TV show, which showed a wonder-powered Diana working as a government special agent. Prior to the changes, ..Wonder Woman operating as an independent adventurer, with I Ching, occasional visits by younger sister - Drusilla, team-ups with the Amazons, a growing enmity with Doctor Cyber AND wild, bizarre adventurers in exotic locations, other times and dimensions...that was the best WW storytelling, since the Golden Age!

Pre-Crisis 80s wasn't a great time for the Cheetah.

As for the early 80s...the 3-part Adjudicator story arc, the pre-Crisis Silver Swan story AND the pre-Crisis Circe stories are very readable, classic, superhero genre stories. The first 11-12 George Perez stories are also good WW stories.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-09-2016 at 02:05 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!