Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default PREVIEW: Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #2

Comics Alliance has an exclusive preview for Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #2, coming out September 14!

I'm loving the Kamome Shirahama variant covers for this series. And I always enjoy seeing the Birds riding bikes, surprising that the covers actually reflect the content of the issue itself.

There must be some prior pages explaining how Babs ended up in costume in the passenger seat next to her dad, though... Really pushing it if he's "unaware" of her secret identity.

I think that's starting to be a trend with the Rebirth variants in that they actually reflect the content of the book more then they have in the past.

Mighty Member

This Huntress pls stop and calm down no killing stuff is going to get real old real fast. Also geez the art. I can barely tell what those expressions are suppose to be.

Loving Roe's art. Dinah actually looks like she has the muscles of a martial artist now.
    Last edited by Kurisu; 09-12-2016 at 01:16 PM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think that's starting to be a trend with the Rebirth variants in that they actually reflect the content of the book more then they have in the past.
    Yeah, the variant initiative for Rebirth is really pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Loving Roe's art. Dinah actually looks like she has the muscles of a martial artist now now.
    Yes! I love the fact that the Birds look completely awesome. I really like the faces, as well.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Batgirl with a shotgun feels a bit off.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Batgirl with a shotgun feels a bit off.
    True. That part felt strange, though the use was perfectly clever, and fits with the famous cover of Oracle with the revolver for Suicide Squad.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Mighty Member

Gotta say that I really enjoyed this issue and seeing he girls get along. Better characterization all around and the art looked less strange; Or maybe I'm getting use to it. Liked Helenas dig at Dicks sparring skills.

I am really enjoying this! I wish Babs and Dinah would put two and two together and figure out who Huntress is, but it's filled with classic Birds banter and action.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I am really enjoying this! I wish Babs and Dinah would put two and two together and figure out who Huntress is, but it's filled with classic Birds banter and action.
    I don't think even Dick knows who Huntress is since if he did thenBruce would too. I don't see how Babs and Dinah could put anything other than her knowing Dick together honestly.

Well, I'm not sure that Dick knows Helena has taken on the Huntress identity. She was hiding in her office in the Rebirth issue of Nightwing, and they don't seem to actually see each other.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Well, I'm not sure that Dick knows Helena has taken on the Huntress identity. She was hiding in her office in the Rebirth issue of Nightwing, and they don't seem to actually see each other.
    Yep that's what I meant. She's seem determined to protect her identity too ( that apartment scene was hilarious). Although she also continues to mention Dick so who knows.

I'm betting there will be a reveal in the next few issues, and it looks like they're building for it to be an emotional one. Hopefully it's as enjoyable as these issues have been!

Always Rakzo

Oh boy, didn't really like this one. The story doesn't progress as much as in the last issue and some of the conflicts felt forced.

Worse of all is the heavy-handedness due that suddenly Jim Gordon being concerned about her daughter is interpreted as "They're giiiiirrrrrlllllsssss! We men should handle this!" and trying too hard to prove that one-sided point by making Barbara constantly referencing it. Where did that even come from? They never acted like this before. The old team didn't need to say things like those, they just needed to prove their worth with actions, just like everyone.

The art is still not bad but is not exactly pretty either.

the art is fun and weird, and none of the women look particularly attractive. barbara in particular looks like she's wearing oversize purple pajamas and a helmet that doesn't even fit her large head.

but i like the story overall. the panel with batgirl blowing out a tire with that shotgun was pretty awesome. you can detest guns and still be capable of firing one.