Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Things in Marvel Comics that were scary that creeped you out

For me, I was a little kid in the early 1980s so pretty much things in original Power Pack and Spectacular spider Man used to creep me out.

The main lizard alien bad guys in Power Pack were a bit scary looking even when they were on the front covers most of the time

xmen186-2.jpg
    The way the Dire Wraiths killed by drilling a hole in your head creeped me out as a child.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 09-09-2016 at 04:10 PM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    The way the Dire Wraiths killed by drilling a hole in your head creeped me out as a child.
    I was just going to say...the original ROM comic featured some of Marvel's scariest images during the early 1980s. None of Marvel's other monthly titles at the time, not even GHOST RIDER, consistently delivered as many creepy images.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I always found Ultron to be pretty scary.

It's one of the reasons I was disappointed with the completely non-threatening Ultron we got in the movie.

that flashback to Mister Sinister running the orphanage where Scott Summers lived was straight out of a horror movie. he arranged the death of Scott's prospective foster parents (after letting him get to really like them). plus the kid who was routinely bullying Scott was just another of Sinister's thralls. i think scott's roommate was actually a disguised Mr.Sinister, as well. it's just wrong on so many levels.

when you judge him for the Death of X stuff. remember where he came from?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    This! And most of Claremont's body horror. This was the one time I EVER felt bad for Selene:

Oh yeah, and then there was the Xavier/Caliban forced merge:

Yick.

BANNED

Also something that creeped me out when I was a little kid in the 1980s. Some old issue of original Uncanny X Men, Rogue was trying to save Colossus I think from being sucked into some big ground ant hill thing

But she didn't have gloves on so she was turning into metal.

Even in old Spectacular Spider Man, Sabretooth guest starred and clawed his own face screaming and hollerin because Spidey shot webbing into Sabretooths face

Brian Bendis writing one of my favorite characters...
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Identity death, even if it's not permanent. I find it truly horrifying. Killing someone's identity/soul and wear their body like a skin-suit. It's worse than real death.

Tony Stark changed into a Janet Van Dyne clone due to his nanites who was in love with the real Janet (?!). Dr. Octopus taking over Spider-Man's body. Kid Loki's spirit destroyed by a clone of the original Loki, and then said clone being destroyed and changed into a brand new Loki...

Ego Death or Identity Death. I hate it. It freaks me out.

Particular moments in issues scared me as a child. For instance:

Spectacular Spider-Man #181 was a pretty scary looking book. Sal Buscema's angular and exaggerated artwork could look pretty creepy, especially to a six year old kid. What always disturbed me was a scene were Spider-Man's villain Vermin escapes a police station by tearing off chucks of the flesh of police officers with his claws! My disgust for the issue grew so much that one day I just threw the comic away.

What also got me as a kid was a reprint of an issue of Marvel Team-Up which featured both Ghost Rider and Spider-Man taking on The Orb, who was featured in the Original Sins miniseries:

The scary part of that issue was what The Orb looked like underneath his helmet (I won't post the picture, but just a link to it. Poster discretion is advised):
    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/orbshannon5.jpg

That was pretty traumatizing. I think I threw that issue out as well.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

BANNED

Xavier wanting to bang 16 yr old Jean Grey with no condom on his mind AT ALL.

The infected Peter Parker from Ruins.

One recent, Wong in Universe X.

And since it's technically now Marvel, the destruction of London at the hands of Johnny Bates on Miracleman.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Spider-Man when he first grew 2 pairs of extra arms. What made it look worse and more scary was those extra arms wasn't in costume like the rest of him but was just 4 bare arms coming out either side of his costumed torso.

Really scary? When Peter Parker was told he was the clone and all his life was imbedded fake memories, I thought what a horrible thing to do to a person. At the time in the 1990's we didn't know it was all just a prank till much later. The sudden shock that we have been reading about some duplicated person was very jarring, because it took you out of Peter Parker suddenly, and you saw the other one, Ben Reilly, and wondered what Marvel had done to its readers?
    Last edited by jackolover; 09-09-2016 at 08:22 PM.