Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Default Why is it that people think that Scott/Cyke has been character assassinated?

If it's been something that has been really building since Grant Morrision's run with the Mutants, and Cyke has been growing in this more extremist route for 10+ years, how is it character assassination, and not growth/development? Is it because you didn't want his character to go in this direction?

I don't know, I'm just saying that the events that have played out (minus whatever Bendis' run was) make it believable that Cyke could've gone the Magneto route; especially since he was riased as boy scout who thought doing things the "right way" would benefit Mutantkind, and that's clearly not been the case, by any means.

BANNED

I think part of it is that Marvel has been very heavy-handed in trying to establish him as the one who's in the wrong, when the actual events on-page don't really reflect that (IE Schism and AvX).

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I think part of it is that Marvel has been very heavy-handed in trying to establish him as the one who's in the wrong, when the actual events on-page don't really reflect that (IE Schism and AvX).
    True, but isn't that from the heroes point of view? Cyke has joined Namor, Black Bolt, Doom, Magneto, and Stark, in the group of "Grey Area Characters" that do what's necessary. The heroes will never agree with them, but it us readers who are supposed to make up our own minds. Regardless of what the editors in Marvel say, they've clearly allowed stories that have proven Scott to be right more times than he's wrong.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

It is not character assassination to me at all. I see a major growth in the development of Cyclops.
    He used to be the boyscout time, best student of the class, fit to lead and always political correct. I always hated Scott.

The last decade or so, I learned to love him more and more.

First I despised him, he was my least favorite. Now, he is my favorite male X-Men.

Though I do not always agree with his decisions, I do respect him, he is bold, he has guts and does whatever it takes to save the mutants from ant serious thread.

Cyclops became what neither Professor X or Magneto achieved; He really became the leader of all mutants. Starting after M-Day he took control. He was the one who started an Utiopia for mutants. All went well for them, slowly, but surely. Cyclops was the man.

Then he got betrayed by Logan (Schism) and later by the Avengers and the Phoenix Force (AvX and AXIS), but he still has my respect.

So it was not character assassination, it was growth.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Character assassination only because him being one of the best leaders and strategists in the Marvel Universe, often uses no strategy. He's the guy that said "Not plan B, plan 2. Plan B implies that we have only 26." If he was going to fight the Inhumans he should have easily defeated them. Have Magic teleport New Attilan into the sun, have her open a portal to hell in the middle of the courtyard, drop a shield airship on it. So many options other then "charge in and fight".

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Erythnul View Post
    Character assassination only because him being one of the best leaders and strategists in the Marvel Universe, often uses no strategy. He's the guy that said "Not plan B, plan 2. Plan B implies that we have only 26." If he was going to fight the Inhumans he should have easily defeated them. Have Magic teleport New Attilan into the sun, have her open a portal to hell in the middle of the courtyard, drop a shield airship on it. So many options other then "charge in and fight".
    Or just relocate the mutant population to somewhere better than @$_&##$ hell. I'm not saying that was his call, I'm saying he should have come up with a better fallback than what Storm and company decided. I'm all for character development, what goats me is irrational writing passed as development. For instance, AvX IMO was horrible, but it's passed off as 'development'.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Erythnul View Post
    Easily defeated them? With Black Bolt being there? You can't even say that because we don't even know how he fails, before dying.

Even then, Black Bolt is there, and he slaughters Scott, his team, and most other mutants by himself. Not mention, Lockjaw teleport things, and people, himself.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Or just relocate the mutant population to somewhere better than @$_&##$ hell. I'm not saying that was his call, I'm saying he should have come up with a better fallback than what Storm and company decided. I'm all for character development, what goats me is irrational writing passed as development. For instance, AvX IMO was horrible, but it's passed off as 'development'.
    It was poorly executed, but the ideas around it do count as development; with the Avengers vs Mutant situation finally reaching a head.

It should've played out more like Hickman's New Avengers run, than an action fest; slowly building up to a great confrontation.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    If it's been something that has been really building since Grant Morrision's run with the Mutants, and Cyke has been growing in this more extremist route for 10+ years, how is it character assassination, and not growth/development? Is it because you didn't want his character to go in this direction?

I don't know, I'm just saying that the events that have played out (minus whatever Bendis' run was) make it believable that Cyke could've gone the Magneto route; especially since he was riased as boy scout who thought doing things the "right way" would benefit Mutantkind, and that's clearly not been the case, by any means.
    I think Scott is the future new Magneto and Wolverine the new Xavier, in fact they will have similar deaths, probably Scott sick of M-pox and like Wolverine know of his impending death, for a while the people spoke of his "legacy" and then probably will return with Wolverne, this is a path from schism but although until AvX was well executed, it post-AvX has been very mediocre. A revolution nowhere, a pacifism forgotten, and finally death as a villain in a ridiculous plot with inhuman that nobody likes, would have been better to die in AvX

it's more like Marvel tries to Character assassinate Cyclops, But he keeps surviving. He is just that good, and they don't know it.
    The dream is dead, so wake up and fight!

Quote Originally Posted by bubibartra View Post
    I think Scott is the future new Magneto and Wolverine the new Xavier, in fact they will have similar deaths, probably Scott sick of M-pox and like Wolverine know of his impending death, for a while the people spoke of his "legacy" and then probably will return with Wolverne, this is a path from schism but although until AvX was well executed, it post-AvX has been very mediocre. A revolution nowhere, a pacifism forgotten, and finally death as a villain in a ridiculous plot with inhuman that nobody likes, would have been better to die in AvX
    Yeah, Bendis really screwed up Cyke's development.

Still, I expect Soule to deliver at least a decent death.

Also, the T-Mist plot isn't bad, it's just that the tip toeing around the subject has been stupid, and Marvel treating the Inhumans like they're completely in the right is insulting.

I think the best argument for "character assassination" would be that the last time we saw him he was (like it or not, it happened) speaking on a platform of peace, then the next time we hear about him he's referred to as actual Hitler.

I, personally, have really enjoyed his development and character, but you can see how it's hard to feel like the character is being respected when for nearly a year all we get is an off-panel death and vague references to "that thing Cyclops did". There's no real argument for whether he's been "character assassinated" or not; there's been no character outside of opinions contrary to his last appearance. I naturally withhold from too much judgment on the basis of Death of X coming soon but 8 months later, for the X-Men, has been an absolute creative mess.

For fans is someone who has grown beyond the dream of Xavier or Magneto extremism (a middle ground) as it passed through both situations and know that Xavier's dream need someone must carry the burden of making difficult choices.

For Marvel's another story they want and need him to be the villain to make other heroes those who are right but that did not work well at AvX and Bendis ( marvel) never intended to make the revolution have results.

Post AvX he was the hope of change but with his death and the new threat of the Inhumans with the return of extinction this all over and fans returned to pre AvX situation.

They wanted Scott to be the bad guy but, when we didn't buy it, they killed him instead. Now the mutants don't have a clear-cut leader.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    For fans is someone who has grown beyond the dream of Xavier or Magneto extremism (a middle ground) as it passed through both situations and know that Xavier's dream need someone must carry the burden of making difficult choices.

For Marvel's another story they want and need him to be the villain to make other heroes those who are right but that did not work well at AvX and Bendis ( marvel) never intended to make the revolution have results.

Post AvX he was the hope of change but with his death and the new threat of the Inhumans with the return of extinction this all over and fans returned to pre AvX situation.
    The problem is that Marvel does not want someone intermission. Want another Magneto and another Xavier, hence the ridiculous turn professor of Wolverine, which made him look like a hypocrite and AVX .... like this did not work either kill them both, for a while have frames around their deaths and when they return will be officially total enemies. Meanwhile draw two versions of the old wolverine and Cyclops: X-23 and Tyke that figure prominently aspect, X-23 with its lone series as a bad-ass and Tyke in a heroic main group.

I see clearly what is the goal, but the road is being clumsy and stupid,
    Last edited by bubibartra; 09-09-2016 at 09:04 AM.