Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I was a little disappointed when it seemed like Lois was just a front, but I like that this already looks like it fits in a very different space compared to the rest of the line. Lana with wacky light powers, Maggie, and Steel is good stuff.
    I was there for lois, nor for lana or steel. I feel cheated, for years I have been waiting for a Lois solo and it was give to lana? it is a bad joke

Quote Originally Posted by _Beautiful_Temptress_ View Post
    I am still hope, that Lois will return. Why advertise a comic book as comics about Lois, if comic about Lana?
    bait and switch. Lois is more famous and has a bigger fanbase. so they use it to call attention and then screw over a entire fan base.

let's face it: Lois will never get any solo or mini, so soon. so soon means like another 30 or more years

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    At this point it could go either way.

I was looking at the solicit for issue #1 and I noticed this.
    it means nothing. it is all lies from the marketing.
    Last edited by Tayswift; 09-10-2016 at 03:56 PM.

Mercy turning into one of those things is interesting. Was she just replicating Mercy? More mystery.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    So, let me get this straight. Lovely and awesome on her own, itinerant, altruistic, electrical engineer Lana went from taking some of Steel's traits (his outer coating), to taking some of Lois' traits (her reporting), to taking some of Superman's traits (his knowledge and his powers). What is the advantage of grafting all of these things onto Lana when she was fine as she was? They've taken this woman who was beautiful in her simplicity and who had a refreshing adventurous and upbeat attitude and turned her into another moping, navel gazing, Sue of a character. What kind of metaphysical mumbo jumbo would even explain the sharing of "essences," which apparently can include both physical and spiritual (the soul) attributes?

It's all ludicrous. Also absurd? How this book wants us to believe that Lana and Lois were friends, that Lana cared about Lois, and that she considers Lois someone she loved. Yeah, right. It's as random and contrived as the new brother that Lana never had in any continuity who just was made up to give Lana more death to complain about. Lois may possibly be in a Bizarro body, but at least she's not the Frankenstein's monster that Lana is.
    well lana took some lois personality too, but whatever. she isn't mary sue, 'cause mary sues are created by women for women. lana is just a male dream of a perfect woman, that is another thing. next thing she will be a god

lana doesn't care about Lois, she cares that Lois won't leave her. she is selfish, Lois detah has nothing to do with lois herself

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Mercy turning into one of those things is interesting. Was she just replicating Mercy? More mystery.
    I think that's what's going on.

They can manipulate their appearance, and Lana's powers may allow her to see through the illusion.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

My feeling on the whole Lois Lane possibly not being Superwoman is this:

I'm actually happy that she's not Superwoman and the lead of this book. Not because I dislike the character and don't want to read her solo adventures. No, it's actually the opposite. I want to read about LOIS LANE, not Superwoman named Lois Lane. The Lois in Superwoman was no longer a reporter, no longer affiliated with the Daily Planet and the people there, and she was no longer showing that you don't need to be able to lift a truck to be considered super in your own right. Simply put, she was looking less and less like Lois and more like JUST Superwoman.

I think it's telling that the original plan for this book was for Superwoman to be a WHOLE NEW CHARACTER. They basically stuffed in Lois and Lana for name recognition. I don't want a Lois Lane book to be interchangeable, but that's literally the case with Superwoman.

The thing that I find compelling about Lois is her ability to be this normal person who gets through extraordinary situations. Her investigative journalism job/skills are also a big part of her charm, and they serve as a perfect contrast to the physical power that Superman solves issues with.

So when I hear the idea that Lois could get her own book but she'd have to basically be Superman, I'm not down for it. That's not her, I feel. I'd much rather she get a book like the old Gotham Central book. A perfect contrast to a Superman book. The idea of coming at a fantastic situation from the ground floor rather than the skies like Superman would. A book full of mystery and suspense rather than the super heroics we saw in Superwoman #1. Lois is a hero in a way that she has defined since 1939, and I would hate for her first real modern solo to simply fall in line with the heroics as defined by Superman and the heroes that spawned from him.

I agree that this was a pretty messed up way to market a book, but seeing as this book wouldn't really be Lois as she has clearly been defined, I'm not that mad. Bottom line, a Lois Lane book need to be a Lois Lane book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

I'm actually happy that she's not Superwoman and the lead of this book. Not because I dislike the character and don't want to read her solo adventures. No, it's actually the opposite. I want to read about LOIS LANE, not Superwoman named Lois Lane. The Lois in Superwoman was no longer a reporter, no longer affiliated with the Daily Planet and the people there, and she was no longer showing that you don't need to be able to lift a truck to be considered super in your own right. Simply put, she was looking less and less like Lois and more like JUST Superwoman.
    well superwoman is a Lois Lane identity. She was the first... she can be superwoman and lois lane

think it's telling that the original plan for this book was for Superwoman to be a WHOLE NEW CHARACTER. They basically stuffed in Lois and Lana for name recognition. I don't want a Lois Lane book to be interchangeable, but that's literally the case with Superwoman.
    I don't think lana is any name recognition. if you go to DC site she isn't even listed as character on the issues

I agree that this was a pretty messed up way to market a book, but seeing as this book wouldn't really be Lois as she has clearly been defined, I'm not that mad. Bottom line, a Lois Lane book need to be a Lois Lane book.
    mockingbird got powers on her book, and it is one of the best comics right now. Sure it was done bettr than lois, but I barely knew the character and now I'm a fan.I would so love have chelsea cain and kate on a Lois solo.
    Powers take away very little from the character, journalism is more srious matter. But it could be worked out by she being a private investigador.

It's not like I ever gonna see any lois solo, with or without powers. they had plenty of time to get powerless lois a solo series if dc wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    I think that's what's going on.

They can manipulate their appearance, and Lana's powers may allow her to see through the illusion.
    Or it just dropped the illusion when it got there. Weird cause Bizarro doesn't have this power.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    she can be superwoman and lois lane
    No she couldn't. Dan Jurgens and DC have made it VERY clear that mama Lois is going to be the iconic Lois Lane that everyone is familiar with. She is the reporter with a relationship with Superman. She is one who works at the Daily Planet. She is the one who is DIRECTLY cited for heading up investigations on things like the identity of this new Clark. Superwoman seems to be getting into battles with Ulrawoman. That's not Lois Lane in her most recognized and appreciated form. That is a new character with named Superwoman who is either going to have Lana's name or Lois'

mockingbird got powers on her book, and it is one of the best comics right now.
    Yes and Mockingbird is a superhero that is known for solving situations with physical power. Lois is a reporter who is known for getting to the truth of things, and then bringing down the bad guys with her pen and the occasional right hook. It's not comparable.

Powers take away very little from the character
    Powers take away quiet a bit from the character if they are conceptually made to not have powers. Batman or Nightwing shouldn't have powers because that goes against the point of these characters on a conceptual level. Lois is an even greater case for this because of the idea that she moves mountains via her words and her bravery while being a VERY vulnerable person.

It's one of the issues with the New 52. There was this marginalization of characters that didn't have powers or crazy tech. Superman's supporting cast shrank in size and only encompassed unbelievable geniuses or powered people. There is far more to the Superman world than that, and Lois is chef among the examples of this.

To say that the only way that Lois can have a book is if she can lift a trunk in it is, to me, a disservice to the character and her potential. So again, I'll be happy if it's not Lois. I really wish it was a totally new character honestly.

BANNED

No she couldn't. Dan Jurgens and DC have made it VERY clear that mama Lois is going to be the iconic Lois Lane that everyone is familiar with. She is the reporter with a relationship with Superman. She is one who works at the Daily Planet. She is the one who is DIRECTLY cited for heading up investigations on things like the identity of this new Clark. Superwoman seems to be getting into battles with Ulrawoman. That's not Lois Lane in her most recognized and appreciated form. That is a new character with named Superwoman who is either going to have Lana's name or Lois'
    she can, the only reason she can't right now is because there is the real lois on her place. Otherwise she could be superwoman and lois lane. Battle ultrawoman would only add character flexibility. she can do it all

if dc want a superwoman book, it has be lois and no one else
    Yes and Mockingbird is a superhero that is known for solving situations with physical power. Lois is a reporter who is known for getting to the truth of things, and then bringing down the bad guys with her pen and the occasional right hook. It's not comparable.
    she is also really smart and can do science very well. More brains than brawn

Powers take away quiet a bit from the character if they are conceptually made to not have powers. Batman or Nightwing shouldn't have powers because that goes against the point of these characters on a conceptual level. Lois is an even greater case for this because of the idea that she moves mountains via her words and her bravery while being a VERY vulnerable person.
    nightwing or batman hadn't stories making them into superpowerful beings like lois Lane had over decades. I think for sure lois is better powerless, but I wouldn't throw away a superpowered lois lane. not even if not the real deal.
    there is a real demand for superpowered lois, one of the most watched lois and clark episodes was the one that lois got powers.
    [quote]
    It's one of the issues with the New 52. There was this marginalization of characters that didn't have powers or crazy tech. Superman's supporting cast shrank in size and only encompassed unbelievable geniuses or powered people. There is far more to the Superman world than that, and Lois is chef among the examples of this.
    [quote]
    yeah I agree. but lois isn't a supporting character anymore, well she isn't even alive right now.
    To say that the only way that Lois can have a book is if she can lift a trunk in it is, to me, a disservice to the character and her potential. So again, I'll be happy if it's not Lois. I really wish it was a totally new character honestly.
    I just telling the truth. I know very well the character can do a powerless solo, but I don't greenlight books at DC, so it is meaningless. As far I can see she won't have any power or powerless solo. with powers was easily the best chance, it is not like gotham central lasted much, it was canceled because of constant low sales.

wel majority of fandom just want a lois solo, it's not even with high standarts. some people are waiting for 30 years to get this.

nightwing or batman hadn't stories making them into superpowerful beings like lois Lane had over decades.
    I'm just gonna leave this here. Shout outs to my pal Dispenser of Truth for this. Read it from bottom to top.

So then by this logic Superman should regularly play f#&ked up tricks on his friends for convoluted reasons because it regularly happened in the silver age? Simply because it happened at some point in the characters past DOES NOT mean it's intrinsic to the character. Lois would get powers (like Jimmy, LANA, and even the Kents) but it's not at all intrinsic to her character simply because it happened a few times.

Also didn't you say this?

what is new 52 superman philosophy? beat first and ask questions later?
    Morrison had superman threatening bad guys (bad guys are still people and a hero has to act better) also beating them recklessly. I don't know how nobody died
    From this thread: http://community.comicbookresources....happened/page4

Superman used to kill or horribly injure his foes back in the Golden age. By the logic you've presented above, he should then be perfectly fine to do it today. As you can this logic is flawed.

PS for the record, there are quite a few stories out there were Batman gets powers.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-11-2016 at 12:02 PM.

This isn't an issue about Lois being Superwoman or not. It's about her being killed off and fans being lied to, which I know you do understand, and I appreciate that. Nevertheless, you're not making a pitch for Lana as Superwoman here. You're just arguing why Lois shouldn't be. I would rather a Lois solo about journalism too, but that's not what I thought I was getting. I had already settled on Lois as Supwerwoman as a consolation prize, believing this was the only way DC would give Lois a solo because reporting wasn't interesting enough to them. So to go in with that mindset only for the book not to be about Lois and for her to be killed off in the first issue (even if she comes back to be a secondary character later) doesn't make the concept or the execution any more palatable.

I think it's telling that the original plan for this book was for Superwoman to be a WHOLE NEW CHARACTER. They basically stuffed in Lois and Lana for name recognition. I don't want a Lois Lane book to be interchangeable, but that's literally the case with Superwoman.
    I think they should have stuck to the new character, then. Because what we have feels contrived and doesn't actually feel like it's doing justice to what made people like Lois and Lana in the first place.

I think the ends don't justify the means. The end (Lois not being a superhero) doesn't justify the means (bait and switch, fridging, Lana retcons), and Lois not being Superwoman isn't helping her get a solo as a journalist.

Astonishing Member

Well, I'd say that if New52 Superman can crumble to dust, New52 Lois can do the exact same thing.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

BANNED

I was over at Comixology making some changes to my subscriptions and I noticed that Superwoman #1 is the only #1 out of the Rebirth Superman line to be rated 5 stars.

It doesn't mean a whole lot, especially because Action Comics #957 is also rated 5 stars, but it doesn't hurt that the people who read it seemed to generally like it. I'm really worried about how the book will fare when it comes to sales, since it was one of the lowest ordered Rebirth books and it's digital performance is fine but nothing special.

So I'll take any good news I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Well, I'd say that if New52 Superman can crumble to dust, New52 Lois can do the exact same thing.
    Missing the point. Superman crumbled to dust after a swansong arc was written for him. He died among friends and his death was not used to shovel unnecessary angst onto another character. Lois crumbled to dust in the first issue of a comic that was supposed to be about her. Lana Lang received the majority of the point of view and supporting cast in this issue. Lois was presented as a supporting character to Lana, and even "died" in order to further Lana's anxiety character arc. Lois's death was not preceded by a story building her up as a character. Her supporting cast wasn't fleshed out, and her New 52 storylines were largely irrelevant. The "exact same thing"? Hardly.

All this would have been better with a NEW CHARACTER.. You can not have certain expectations about this character, you do not know this character..