This just occurred to me as I was posting on the issue 5 thread, but since it encompasses multiple issues of the story so far I thought I might give it its own niche.

Much of the LIES storyline Rucka is exploring concerns Diana not being able to rely on her memories. Almost as if her mind had been manipulated and filled with false information,

This got me thinking - what character do we know of that Rucka has a previous fondness for and can make people believe whatever he wants. AND has a long standing grudge against Wonder Woman...

There are, of course, two.

Rucka used by Psycho and Max Lord during his earlier run on Wonder Woman. But It think of the two its fair to say that Max, playing a pivotal role in Sacrifice and then later in WW Blackest Night [also written by Rucka] has made the most impact on Wonder Woman's storylines over the last decade.

And there are some strong indications that the cyborg villain we saw in the most recent issue is Brother Eye, the artificial intelligence that was working with Max and has its own personal grudge with Diana.

Add to that the fact that with the cancellation of the book just before the onset of Infinite Crises meant that Rucka was never able to finish off the story of Wonder Woman's encounter with Max during the sacrifice.

AND, to top it all off, just prior to Flashpoint we found that Max was NOT dead. He was resurrected as part of Blackest Night and his first order of business was to make everyone forget he had ever existed and to purse his personal vendetta against Wonder Woman...

So to sum up -

• shifting and unreliable memories
  • a mind warping villain with a grudge
  • who has a history of using cybernetic allies against Wonder Woman
  • and has been used by the current writer twice before
  • in a story line that was never really satisfactorily wrapped up

Things that make you go... "Hmmmmm."