Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Lightbulb How would everyone feel if Stan Lee was to write Spider-man again ?

how would everyone feel if Stan lee was to * write spider-man again ?

it would be interesting to see what new take Stan Lee would take on spider-man ! i would love to see Stan write one more issue of Spider-Man .

Quote Originally Posted by 2britishnerdz View Post

it would be interesting to see what new take Stan Lee would take on spider-man ! i would love to see Stan write one more issue of Spider-Man .
    I'd buy it. I'd love to see what Stan would do with (presumably) Peter after over forty years away from him.
    I doubt you're going to see it, but one can dream.

Even the worst of Stan Lee is better than 80% of the other writers out there.

I just don't think he has it in him to carry a monthly schedule anymore. Maybe some one-shots or a limited series.

Niffleheim

I would move on to something else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 2britishnerdz View Post

Stan Lee continues to write Spider-Man, as far as I know, in the daily newspaper strip. So if you want to see what his current take on Spidey would be, it's there.

As for a new issue, I think I'd pass. The last full issue I remember him scripting (not plotting, I believe, but just writing the dialogue) was ASM Annual #18, back in 1984. That was a cool issue but even then, and we're talking 32 years ago now, it was nice to see Lee back for a special one-off but I don't think it left anyone feeling that he had anything new to bring to the character. Lee writing Spidey any time past when he originally left the book is just about nostalgia. And ultimately, I don't find that to be all that interesting. If I want to enjoy Stan on Spidey, I'll just pull out the back issues as I often do. They still hold up beautifully all these years later.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I can barely tolerate reading his 60s stuff. No thanks.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    That's certainly an original take. What writer or writers would you say conveys your definitive takes on the Marvel characters?

I would finally have a Marvel book to buy if Stan Lee were to write Spider-Man again.
    Loved his original run on the book.
    Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Same. I purchased the hardcover of the first year of Spider-Man and reading it was a chore.
    Although maybe it's Ditko who is to blame.

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Stan Lee continues to write Spider-Man, as far as I know, in the daily newspaper strip. So if you want to see what his current take on Spidey would be, it's there.
    Yeah my first thought was doesn't he still write the newspaper strip, anyone that follows the strip that can confirm?

Having read a lot of his stuff, I'd say he needs a strong co-plotter. When he had that, his work is good. When he didn't, it's pretty mediocre. Stan needed idea men to feed off of. Not take credit for, but to inspire his imagination. His stuff in the 90s was not good and he hasn't really written much since. Writing is like a muscle and needs to be exercised.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

It would feel very out of place unless he can adapt his style a little bit. I'd love a bit more silver age flavor, but there is a thing as too much Stan Lee. His style was very frenetic and plots were rarely developed as much as they needed to be. When he brought his A Game, it was great, but I'm not sure he'd be a good choice for the 21st Century.

Mighty Member

I love Stan Lee, but his writing is dated, not in touch at all with the current period. And yes, even in the sixties his writing was lacking. He is a good creator with a lot of ideas, but he is not a good writer.

Mighty Member

I never thought of Lee as a writer.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    That's certainly an original take. What writer or writers would you say conveys your definitive takes on the Marvel characters?
    IMO, there really aren't any definitive takes until Lee and Kirby leave the books. Definitive X-Men would be Claremont, and somewhat close second, Mike Carey-- no one else at all. Thor, again, almost everybody has surpassed Lee and Kirby. Spidey didn't come into his own until long after Lee was gone. Avengers too. FF was certainly the best of Lee/Kirby, but I think others like Byrne surpassed them in quality.

The two came up with some outstanding ideas, no doubt, but the writing? No thanks, especially after 50+ years. I'm not even convinced Stan Lee would know how to write well, right now. The last few things he did were truly horrible.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier