Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Default Anyone Else Tired of The "Things Were Better in My Day" Mentality!?

Honestly I'm at a point where I find it fairly annoying especially when you see it not from some grumpy old man but when you see it from someone still young overall. I think it's especially annoying coming from 80's & my fellow 90's kids. I mean yes the 80's & 90's gave us some awesome media, but so has the 21st century. I understand nostalgia is a powerful force and people get attached to the things they grow up with, and while yes I would agree certain forms of entertainment have indeed lost their way or gone way down hill that doesn't mean all media made after 2000 is bad.

Anywho I guess what i'm trying to say is every decade gives us good and bad things, and in terms of media, there has always been both gold & garbage on the airwaves, in cinema, books, comics, etc.

So what about you what do you think of all the fellow 20-40 somethings ranting and raving online about how everything was better back in their day?
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

I completely understand and agree. Every industry does it, everyone always seems to like to compare the best of a previous era and compare it to the worst of the current era, forgetting the dreck that was back then.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

It usually pisses me off.

Part of it is that we're comparing average material from today with the best of yesterday.

Then there are the metrics by which the world has become a better place (greater acceptance of homosexuality, decline in extreme poverty, greater access to all sorts of material.)

There are some specialized situations in which things are messier and even worse, but we have to take into account the things that have gotten better.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Invincible Member

We've almost always had that mentality. People who were young in the 30's and 40's ( the depression and WW2) will swear those were the best times in human history. Folks who grew up in the 70's and tell you what a great party it was leave out the rise in crime, drug abuse and inflation and gas shortages. Sure the economy was good in 50's America and young people had Elvis and Chuck Berry but you also had the Korean War, segregation, and fear of the bomb.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Meh! That doesn't bother me. In the minds of people who grew up in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, etc, perhaps those were damn good times. Who am I to disagree with them?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Honest I find it pretty funny with somethings at times.

My main example was as a kid growing-up in the 1990's and hearing then how AWE Entertainment was, music, movies, shows, how we where as kids and society as a whole. It was not all around, but it was their.

Now a days we are having a Nostalgia for the 1990's, not only looking at the good parts but having fun with most all of 90's culture and entertainment like it was such good times and an identity that few kids and culture have today. Sound Familiar?!

Honestly this just shows me it is a cycle, it will always be and we will ALWAYS say the present day time is the worst and it was SO GOOD 20 years before. Honestly after going threw what I experienced growing-up, it does not or I don't see it weight on me much anymore. So really what is awful today in 20 years from now will seem CLASSIC and the Good-Old-Days, Risen-n-Repeat!

Also, This Video might put some perspective on things in a certain way:

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

"In my day, all that area until the horizon was meadows with cows"

The truth does not bother me. Even it's fun and you can learn a lot from them about the lifestyles or general thinking of those times.

I prefer not to stay on the surface and ignore the whole thing "in my day everything was better" and learn what interests me.

Edit: Sorry, I misunderstood the theme. About the media is normal to some people thinking like that, mostly because things tends to be repetitive and which more age we have, less impressive are for us, or we see movies or series as a copy of another thing of the past.
    Last edited by Orujo-man; 09-11-2016 at 07:33 PM.

BANNED

I hate it. People didn't do that, back in my day.

Message boards used to be so good, not like the lousy ones today.

Yes, I am very, very tired of that.

Shirt Is Optional Member Attila Kiss's Avatar

Who says the 90' were better?
    There was nothing good about it.
    Now, let's finish this predicament with some good music.
    links to my books:
    "TWISTED HOLIDAY HORROR TALES"
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"
    @ Amazon: Spec. BLUE Version Paperback
    @ IndyPlanet: Collected Edition

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Message boards used to be so good, not like the lousy ones today.
    They were proper message boards. Made of real cork. You could stick real pins in it.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I'm afraid I can be that way occasionally. Not about comic books and things like that but certainly about music.

Unless something recorded in the 21st century has it's roots in Classic Rock & Metal music scenes founded earlier (particularly the 1970's, unquestionably the greatest decade in the history of popular music) then I'm pretty much gonna hate it.

That makes me sound like this fella but I'm not bothered.

Last edited by WillieMorgan; 09-12-2016 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It usually pisses me off.

Part of it is that we're comparing average material from today with the best of yesterday.
    This drives me nuts about comic book fans.

They compare The Dark Knight Rises or Born Again or The Dark Phoenix Saga to random avengers #12. It is irritating beyond belief.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED