Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Default Definitive Archetypes of DC Comic Book Villains

These are the categories I tried to come up with, just for fun, that in my opinion encapsulate pretty much all DC villains (and comic book or fictional villains in general).

The Visionary Dictator

This villain is someone who seeks to gain as much influence and control as possible in order to become a global leader, or substantially reshape the social order in their vision. They're typically extremely intelligent and have a deep-rooted ideological conviction that creates the conflict in the story. An "ends-justify-the-means" mentality is also typical of this villain, often in spite of a noble cause. Their personality is egotistical and disciplinarian.

Examples: Lex Luthor, Sinestro, Black Adam, Ra's Al Ghul, Vandal Savage, General Zod, Gorilla Grodd, Ultra-Humanite, Oceanmaster, Count Vertigo, Poison Ivy

The Cosmic Demon

This character is an entity with power far beyond that of the typical comic book character. They have the ability to alter the forces of nature and the universe, and create threats on the grandest of scales. These villains tend to lack a human personality given their grandiose form of existence and single-mindedness.

Examples: Darkseid, the Anti-Monitor, Despero, Black Hand, Nekron, Ares, Trigon, Neron, Mongul

The Computer

This list would be incomplete without including the many forms of robotic and digital threats faced by DC heroes. Whether designed to threaten the world or simply self-aware in their quest to dominate, computer threats are cold single-minded inorganic machines that have no motivation other than to follow their programmed objective.

Examples: Braniac, Amazo, Red Volcano, Brother Eye & the OMACs

The Revenge Seeker

This villain has suffered some personal harm or tragedy at the hands of the hero, or a group of people the hero represents. This type of villain may have life goals of their own which do not involve defeating the hero, but their most prominent motivation is pure revenge. This revenge can be death, or the creation of tragedy in the hero's life.

Examples: Reverse Flash, Zoom, Black Manta, Superboy Prime, Red Hood (Jason Todd), Toyman, Cheetah, Mr. Freeze, Hank Henshaw, Hugo Strange

The Gangster

These types of villains aren't necessarily out to take over the world, or inflict harm for the sake of it. Their number one motivation is greed, and they bypass the law in order to satiate it. These characters are often selfish, in it for themselves, but have the ability to inspire fear and loyalty among other criminals through violence and rugged leadership.

Examples: Black Mask, Penguin, The Rogues (led by Captain Cold), the Court of Owls, the Royal Flush Gang, Carmine Falcone, Sal Maroni

The Professional

Similar to the gangster, the professional isn't often out to take over the world and doesn't usually get any personal satisfaction out of killing or hurting people. Money is usually enough to make them happy. A key difference, however, is the attention they pay to their craft, which they apply hands-on, and their individualist style in getting the job done. These loner killers and saboteurs often have a personal code, and take pride in a job well done.

Examples: Deathstroke, Deadshot, Bane, Catwoman, KGBeast, Cheshire, Merlyn

The Psycho

The psycho villain's principal characteristic is that they don't see reality the way the rest of the normally-functioning world does. They're either convinced of experiencing things that aren't really there, have some uncontrollable obsession, don't have any empathy or connection to other living things, or simply have a warped and distorted perception. Although a psycho villain's motivations may vary, they all usually share the same behavior, which consists of unpredictable attempts at chaos and destruction. This villain can't be reasoned with, as they often forego concern for their own safety in their insanity.

Examples: The Joker, Harley Quinn, Szasz, Scarecrow, the Mad Hatter, Professor Ivo, Dr. Alchemy, The Ventriloquist, Two-Face, Bizarro

The Plotter

The plotter's ego is enormous, matched only by their intelligence. These hyper-smart villains are usually compensating for a lack of physical strength. They seek the personal satisfaction of accomplishment through defeating the hero, and sometimes seek acknowledgement for their competence as well. The plotter often uses technology to create extremely elaborate and detailed plans that anticipate the hero's behavior.

Examples: The Riddler, The Key, Clock King, The Calculator, The Turtle, T.O. Morrow

The Mindless Monster

As the name suggests, the mindless monster is an incredibly strong and destructive threat, but has no complex thoughts or emotions. They are almost always enraged, and attack full force without much of a plan. The mindless monster may have a past identity or alternate form that is or resembles a human, which often creates a moral dilemma for the hero.

Examples: Doomsday, Man-Bat, Parallax, the Red Lanterns

The Thug

This villain has no remarkable motivations, no penchant for leadership, no committed ideology, but have an affliction or ability which makes them uniquely capable. They're in it to get-rich quick and often get manipulated by smarter villains with grander plans.

Examples: Metallo, Killer Croc, Clayface, Solomon Grundy, Sportsmaster

---

Do you agree with these categories?
    Which would you change?
    Which villain type tends to be your favorite?
    Which characters combine categories, and are there any that don't fit these molds?

Discuss

BANNED

There's really only two.
    -The Opposite: Joker, Lex, et al
    -The Dark Self: Zod, Ra's al Ghul, et al

Quote Originally Posted by unholyrevenger72 View Post
    There's really only two.
    -The Opposite: Joker, Lex, et al
    -The Dark Self: Zod, Ra's al Ghul, et al
    Interesting. That certainly captures a lot of archenemies, but I feel a lot of the big bads wouldn't fall into either.

There are a few more specific villain categories that most solo DC franchises have in their respective wheelhouses:

The Opposite: Lex Luthor (Superverse), The Joker (Batverse), The Cheetah (Wonderverse), Thal Sinestro (Lanternverse), Captain Cold (Flashverse), Black Manta (Aquaverse), Sivana (Shazamverse)

The Dark Self: Zod/Faora (Superverse), Wrath/Phantasm (Batverse), Devastation (Wonderverse), Reverse Flash/Zoom (Flashverse), Black Adam (Shazamverse), Merlyn (Arrowverse)

The Overlord: Darkseid (Superverse), Ra's al Ghul (Batverse), Ares (Wonderverse), Krona (Lanternverse), Vandal Savage/Grodd* (Flashverse)

The Past Connection: Brainiac (Superverse), Two-Face (Batverse), Circe (Wonderverse), Ocean Master (Aquaverse)

The Destroyer: Doomsday (Superverse), Bane (Batverse), Genocide (Wonderverse), Parallax (Lanternverse)

The Monstrous Mirror: Bizarro (Superverse), Man-Bat (Batverse) Medusa (Wonderverse), Attrocitus (Lanternverse), The Black Flash (Flashverse)

* - Vandal Savage may not be primary to the Flashverse, as he has definitely fought other heroes, but it is worth noting that he is the only major super-villain to have fought all 3 Flashes (Jay/Barry/Wally) during their historical primes. On the other hand, the Overlord archetype usually has an opposite number that is Not the alpha hero (Darkseid v Highfather, Ares v Athena, Krona v Ganthet, and I'm trying to make Ras al Ghul v Amanda Waller happen, etc) and Grodd v Solovar is more developed than Vandal Savage v Immortal Man. So, either one (Savage or Grodd) can suffice for the Flashverse's Overlord archetype.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    There are a few more specific villain categories that most solo DC franchises have in their respective wheelhouses:

The Opposite: Lex Luthor (Superverse), The Joker (Batverse), The Cheetah (Wonderverse), Thal Sinestro (Lanternverse), Captain Cold (Flashverse), Black Manta (Aquaverse), Sivana (Shazamverse)

The Dark Self: Zod/Faora (Superverse), Wrath/Phantasm (Batverse), Devastation (Wonderverse), Reverse Flash/Zoom (Flashverse), Black Adam (Shazamverse), Merlyn (Arrowverse)

The Overlord: Darkseid (Superverse), Ra's al Ghul (Batverse), Ares (Wonderverse), Krona (Lanternverse), Vandal Savage/Grodd* (Flashverse)

The Past Connection: Brainiac (Superverse), Two-Face (Batverse), Circe (Wonderverse), Ocean Master (Aquaverse)

The Destroyer: Doomsday (Superverse), Bane (Batverse), Genocide (Wonderverse), Parallax (Lanternverse)

The Monstrous Mirror: Bizarro (Superverse), Man-Bat (Batverse) Medusa (Wonderverse), Attrocitus (Lanternverse), The Black Flash (Flashverse)

* - Vandal Savage may not be primary to the Flashverse, as he has definitely fought other heroes, but it is worth noting that he is the only major super-villain to have fought all 3 Flashes (Jay/Barry/Wally) during their historical primes. On the other hand, the Overlord archetype usually has an opposite number that is Not the alpha hero (Darkseid v Highfather, Ares v Athena, Krona v Ganthet, and I'm trying to make Ras al Ghul v Amanda Waller happen, etc) and Grodd v Solovar is more developed than Vandal Savage v Immortal Man. So, either one (Savage or Grodd) can suffice for the Flashverse's Overlord archetype.
    Interesting list, thank you.

Even though Vandal Savage is a "general" character, I've definitely always considered him to have a special relationship to the Flash. He's one of those characters like Deathstroke who is more of a general villain but might have specific histories with certain characters (Green Arrow, Batman).

Also would you put R'as in "dark self" or "overlord"? He seems not quite on the same level as the others and I'd consider Sinestro just as "lordy", even though he's clearly a dark reflection.

I think the difference between my list and one like this is that I'm classifying the villain without so much emphasis on their relationship to the hero. I went at it asking "why are they a villain and what is it they want?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    These are the categories I tried to come up with, just for fun, that in my opinion encapsulate pretty much all DC villains (and comic book or fictional villains in general).

The Visionary Dictator

This villain is someone who seeks to gain as much influence and control as possible in order to become a global leader, or substantially reshape the social order in their vision. They're typically extremely intelligent and have a deep-rooted ideological conviction that creates the conflict in the story. An "ends-justify-the-means" mentality is also typical of this villain, often in spite of a noble cause. Their personality is egotistical and disciplinarian.

Examples: Lex Luthor, Sinestro, Black Adam, Ra's Al Ghul, Vandal Savage, General Zod, Gorilla Grodd, Ultra-Humanite, Oceanmaster, Count Vertigo, Poison Ivy

The Cosmic Demon

This character is an entity with power far beyond that of the typical comic book character. They have the ability to alter the forces of nature and the universe, and create threats on the grandest of scales. These villains tend to lack a human personality given their grandiose form of existence and single-mindedness.

Examples: Darkseid, the Anti-Monitor, Despero, Black Hand, Nekron, Ares, Trigon, Neron, Mongul

The Computer

This list would be incomplete without including the many forms of robotic and digital threats faced by DC heroes. Whether designed to threaten the world or simply self-aware in their quest to dominate, computer threats are cold single-minded inorganic machines that have no motivation other than to follow their programmed objective.

Examples: Braniac, Amazo, Red Volcano, Brother Eye & the OMACs

The Revenge Seeker

This villain has suffered some personal harm or tragedy at the hands of the hero, or a group of people the hero represents. This type of villain may have life goals of their own which do not involve defeating the hero, but their most prominent motivation is pure revenge. This revenge can be death, or the creation of tragedy in the hero's life.

Examples: Reverse Flash, Zoom, Black Manta, Superboy Prime, Red Hood (Jason Todd), Toyman, Cheetah, Mr. Freeze, Hank Henshaw, Hugo Strange

The Gangster

These types of villains aren't necessarily out to take over the world, or inflict harm for the sake of it. Their number one motivation is greed, and they bypass the law in order to satiate it. These characters are often selfish, in it for themselves, but have the ability to inspire fear and loyalty among other criminals through violence and rugged leadership.

Examples: Black Mask, Penguin, The Rogues (led by Captain Cold), the Court of Owls, the Royal Flush Gang, Carmine Falcone, Sal Maroni

The Professional

Similar to the gangster, the professional isn't often out to take over the world and doesn't usually get any personal satisfaction out of killing or hurting people. Money is usually enough to make them happy. A key difference, however, is the attention they pay to their craft, which they apply hands-on, and their individualist style in getting the job done. These loner killers and saboteurs often have a personal code, and take pride in a job well done.

Examples: Deathstroke, Deadshot, Bane, Catwoman, KGBeast, Cheshire, Merlyn

The Psycho

The psycho villain's principal characteristic is that they don't see reality the way the rest of the normally-functioning world does. They're either convinced of experiencing things that aren't really there, have some uncontrollable obsession, don't have any empathy or connection to other living things, or simply have a warped and distorted perception. Although a psycho villain's motivations may vary, they all usually share the same behavior, which consists of unpredictable attempts at chaos and destruction. This villain can't be reasoned with, as they often forego concern for their own safety in their insanity.

Examples: The Joker, Harley Quinn, Szasz, Scarecrow, the Mad Hatter, Professor Ivo, Dr. Alchemy, The Ventriloquist, Two-Face, Bizarro

The Plotter

The plotter's ego is enormous, matched only by their intelligence. These hyper-smart villains are usually compensating for a lack of physical strength. They seek the personal satisfaction of accomplishment through defeating the hero, and sometimes seek acknowledgement for their competence as well. The plotter often uses technology to create extremely elaborate and detailed plans that anticipate the hero's behavior.

Examples: The Riddler, The Key, Clock King, The Calculator, The Turtle, T.O. Morrow

The Mindless Monster

As the name suggests, the mindless monster is an incredibly strong and destructive threat, but has no complex thoughts or emotions. They are almost always enraged, and attack full force without much of a plan. The mindless monster may have a past identity or alternate form that is or resembles a human, which often creates a moral dilemma for the hero.

Examples: Doomsday, Man-Bat, Parallax, the Red Lanterns

The Thug

This villain has no remarkable motivations, no penchant for leadership, no committed ideology, but have an affliction or ability which makes them uniquely capable. They're in it to get-rich quick and often get manipulated by smarter villains with grander plans.

Examples: Metallo, Killer Croc, Clayface, Solomon Grundy, Sportsmaster

---

Do you agree with these categories?
    Which would you change?
    Which villain type tends to be your favorite?
    Which characters combine categories, and are there any that don't fit these molds?

Discuss
    I think you should vlog or podcast.

Interesting list, thank you.
    Quite welcome!

Even though Vandal Savage is a "general" character, I've definitely always considered him to have a special relationship to the Flash. He's one of those characters like Deathstroke who is more of a general villain but might have specific histories with certain characters (Green Arrow, Batman).
    Agreed, although personally, I think Deathstroke could and should be remade into Green Arrow's Opposite and #1 arch enemy (instead of Batman's #12 enemy), but that would probably entail some heavy retconning.

Also would you put R'as in "dark self" or "overlord"? He seems not quite on the same level as the others and I'd consider Sinestro just as "lordy", even though he's clearly a dark reflection.
    Overlord all the way. Ras fits nearly all the requirements of the archetype to a T.

- absolute domination of their own organization? Check.

- intimidating fortress in a near-uninhabitable landscape? Check.

- hordes of underlings at their beck and call? Check.

- has an inner court of fleshed-out subordinates who can take over a story or two themselves? Check.

- has an ongoing grand scheme (be it city-wide, national, global, galactic, universal or multi-versal) that they obsesses over? Check.

- well into said scheme before they was even aware of the Hero? Check.

- seeks to bring the Hero into their employ? Check.

- has an opposing number that is their true rival? OK, here Ras falters, although I nominate Amanda Waller (merciless "good guy" spymaster) against Ras (noble "bad guy" overlord)

By and large, Ras al Ghul is an Overlord type.

Dark Selves usually have a tinge of "if not for a twist of fate, the hero could have become this person instead" aspect. That aspect ain't in Bruce and Ras relationship.

I think the difference between my list and one like this is that I'm classifying the villain without so much emphasis on their relationship to the hero. I went at it asking "why are they a villain and what is it they want?"
    True, but in my experience, virtually all villains are conceived and created to combat or oppose some specific hero or heroic team. The villain serves the needs of the hero's story, not the other way around, nor in a vacuum by themselves. James Moriarty was created for Sherlock Holmes. Doctor Doom was created for the Fantastic Four and Reed Richards in particular. Magneto was created for the X-Men and Charles Xavier in particular. The Red Skull was created for Captain America, Joker for Batman, Luthor for Superman, Cheetah for Wonder Woman, Green Goblin for Spider-Man, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    I think you should vlog or podcast.
    Thanks, thought I'd give this a bump. Might make it into a short video just for kicks.

BANNED

Where does Zero Hour Parallax falls into?

And no, Im not talking about the evil yellow bug thats just lazy writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vision View Post
    Yeah, evil yellow space bugs are a very overused trope of fiction, you see it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vision View Post
    Where does Zero Hour Parallax falls into?

That's a great question. At first glance he doesn't really fit into any of those. He's a guy abusing his power to do what he thinks is right out of genuine compassion.

I actually thought of making an additional category for someone like Superboy-Prime and maybe just forgot. Someone who is so desperate to be a hero or save a certain people that they become a destructive force.

Fallen Hero could cover that. Parallax, Superboy Prime, arguably Alexander Luthor jr all fit, and I'm sure there's some others I can't think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Fallen Hero could cover that. Parallax, Superboy Prime, arguably Alexander Luthor jr all fit, and I'm sure there's some others I can't think of.
    Yeah I like that. Red Hood would probably fit better here than "Revenge Seeker".

BANNED

That's a great question. At first glance he doesn't really fit into any of those. He's a guy abusing his power to do what he thinks is right out of genuine compassion.

I actually thought of making an additional category for someone like Superboy-Prime and maybe just forgot. Someone who is so desperate to be a hero or save a certain people that they become a destructive force.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    How would the description be? I was actually gonna ask about this in the GL personalities thread since this is the Hal I become a fan of (at least for a while) but then Final Night happened and we didnt see him ever again...

GL Rebirth Parallax clearly wasnt the same one. A waste, he could have been the magneto of DC.

Please let me know if you do start something like a podcast. My twitter is @ulyssesnewcomb. I'd support it.