Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

Default Where Are The Blogs?

What happened to the blogs, like "Comics Should Be Good?"

I notice that Brian Cronin has a couple of entries on the main page (mixed in with useless movie and TV news), but they seem to be classified as "News" now, which makes them much harder to find. It looks like there's a "csbg" tag, but there's no easy way to search for those items, whereas before they were only a click away, with lots of specific tags that could take you to regular blog features. Anybody know if they can fix this? I love the blogs.

Spectacular Member

Read The New Look CBR.COM thread and it should get you up to speed on what's been changing. Besides issues that people are having with the new look, there are also some posts on navigating the site.

BTW. Brian still has a site for Comic Book Legends only: http://legendsrevealed.com/entertain...ends-revealed/ But unfortunately it doesn't have the rest of his great blogs. There are no sites for the other CBSBG writers that I know of.

Augie has a site: http://www.pipelinecomics.com/. I think it works better to go to the site that employs him or whatever his position is there: http://comicbook.com/blog/category/comics I think the blogs that he would post on the old message board are published in entirety there (only) and his personal site will only have links to go there. Like this site, comicbook.com's home page is mostly worthless and I just go straight to the comic book page.

Hope this all helps.
    Last edited by Filament; 09-12-2016 at 04:40 AM.

Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

Thank you. Brian Cronin's site does at least index all of the Comic Book Legends Revealed features, which helps a bit for them. But unfortunately there are many great features both past and present on the blogs from many different writers, and they're pretty much inaccessible now unless you're willing to scroll through hundreds of "csbg" tagged news posts and sift them out. One of the things I really loved about Comics Should Be Good is the extensive tagging system, which let you read through their archives and follow features that were written years ago. For instance, I love reading John Seavey's Storytelling Engines series, but it's been gone for six or seven years and without tags it's almost impossible to find.

Hmm... Apparently Google can still find them. If you Google "stories engine comics should be good" you can get to them through some kind of redirect from the main URL. But that only works if you know exactly what you're looking for, and the posts are in Google's pagerank order, instead of being sequential.

Then there's the issue of comments being stripped away, when the comments are half of the fun in a lot of those old articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Street View Post
    Thank you. Brian Cronin's site does at least index all of the Comic Book Legends Revealed features, which helps a bit for them. But unfortunately there are many great features both past and present on the blogs from many different writers, and they're pretty much inaccessible now unless you're willing to scroll through hundreds of "csbg" tagged news posts and sift them out. One of the things I really loved about Comics Should Be Good is the extensive tagging system, which let you read through their archives and follow features that were written years ago. For instance, I love reading John Seavey's Storytelling Engines series, but it's been gone for six or seven years and without tags it's almost impossible to find.

Hmm... Apparently Google can still find them. If you Google "stories engine comics should be good" you can get to them through some kind of redirect from the main URL. But that only works if you know exactly what you're looking for, and the posts are in Google's pagerank order, instead of being sequential.

Then there's the issue of comments being stripped away, when the comments are half of the fun in a lot of those old articles.
    Greg Hatcher posted that he is retiring his column, as of this week's entry. http://community.comicbookresources....ciation-Thread

I started the linked thread to be able to comment on Greg's columns, as well as sing his praises and link his archives, for those interested. It's in the CSBG forum, at the bottom of the home page. I did the same for Greg Burgas, though I haven't seen anything new from him since before the reset. I don't know if he is done or just hasn't submitted a new column.

CBSG was the main reason for coming here and it's all but gone. Apart from the odd forum thread here and there, I have little reason to linger, aside from Comic Legends Revealed. Greg said he will have a new home and will still be around the forums, now and again.

I'm done complaining; I'm just thinking of Vonnegut: "And so it goes..."

I posted this elsewhere and got no response; I didn't see The Line It Is Drawn this week: am I missing it, buried in the clutter of stories about Thor's fictional roommate from a joke video, toy sculptures, etc...? Did it miss a week? Gone bye-bye, like everything else? The useless search engine doesn't find it, google doesn't find it. Yet another casualty in the transition?

Seems like an end of an era. I've been reading the blogs of ComicBookResources.com for the last 5 years. Blogs like Tilting at Windmills and the writings of Brian Cronin and Greg Thatcher have provided countless hours of reading entertainment. I really have little reason to visit CBR now other than to check the Classics and Collected forum and people are speculating the forums will be the next thing to go.

I'm really not enjoying what's left of CBR. Oh well, it was good while it lasted!

The blogs live again; well, some anyway. Check out http://atomicjunkshop.com/ to see the latest from CBSG favorites Gregs Hatcher and Burgas, Travis Pelkie and many others, with topics ranging from comics, music, film, animation, books, and whatever else they think of. You know, writing with some personality to it.

Cheers. I've added that to my Feedly feed.

Spectacular Member

Happy days are here again! Thanks for the link Cody! I tried googling the people by name and wasn't getting any luck.