Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Always Rakzo

After reading the whole interview I have a few more concerns though, I don't like how Meredith Finch says that she's not planning that far ahead.

This is a personal preference but I simply love long-term planning. Almost everytime that an author tries to create a plot without a proper build-up it always end-up in disappointment halfway, it's cool if they want to do short and fun arcs but it's better if their story follow a certain theme and direction.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    I took that as, beautiful and strong with no heavy-handed agenda. I've found Azzarello and Soule to write Wonder Woman with that mentality and welcome the continuation of that writing approach.
    I suspect the issue at stake is that you take it for granted that actively feminist is a negative and must be heavy-handed. I would counter that simply writing a well-rounded female character who is active and at the centre of her own plot, while attempting to avoid sexist cliches, is inherently feminist. I would also say that Meredith Finch seems very aware of the character's political significance due to her gender.

Would either Azzarello or Soule specifically claim they were not writing something feminist, I wonder? And would you suddenly feel differently about their plots if they did explicitly label them as feminist?

It feels to me very much like David Finch has either bought into the notion that "feminism" is a bad word and should be avoided, or is simply aware that large numbers of fans believe it to be so and is attempting to backpedal (neither of which fills me with confidence).

"Yes, yes, we want to be aware that she means a lot to many women and she'll be strong and competent but good lord, no, it's not feminist!"

That's basically what he's saying there. Doesn't that strike you as slightly absurd?

That said, I don't want to tear down something I haven't read. Here's hoping he tones down the cheesecake and she brings her A-game and rises to the challenge.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    I predict a decline in sales for this series.

Not to mention probable deadline problems (David is not very consistent with keeping them). Also, if you have someone like Gail Simone in your writer's stable, why do you hand off one of your most important characters to a rookie? Great editorial decision DC (note my sarcasm)!!!!
    The first issue will be massively over-ordered, probably doing 100K at least, boosted by five or more rare covers.
    Then a very sharp decline will follow, but sadly Finch is a popular artist, and bad T&A artists often sell more books than good writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    The first issue will be massively over-ordered, probably doing 100K at least, boosted by five or more rare covers.
    Then a very sharp decline will follow, but sadly Finch is a popular artist, and bad T&A artists often sell more books than good writers.
    Pretty good estimate on how sales will end up. Finch's art may offset some of the drop rates but not by much. I don't see it plummeting more like what happened with Batwoman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Pretty good estimate on how sales will end up. Finch's art may offset some of the drop rates but not by much. I don't see it plummeting more like what happened with Batwoman.
    An untested writer with an unreliable artist. I'll stick to my prediction.

However, if Mr. and Mrs. Finch can tell an interesting tale while sticking to a monthly schedule I could be proven wrong.

BANNED

An untested writer with an unreliable artist. I'll stick to my prediction.
    Writers don't have that much influence on sales when the artist is big enough. Crappy filler artists do have an effect, missed deadlines and skipped months not so much.

Anyway, I'm not getting the impression from the interviews that they are planning to stick around for more than an arc or two at most anyway.

I predict a decline in sales for this series.

Not to mention probable deadline problems (David is not very consistent with keeping them).
    I think the exact opposite will happen, wether you like his art or not, Finch has a following, that will definitely help boost sales, also, add in all the people that took a three year break from reading Wonder Woman, because they wanted a more traditional take on the character, sales are bound to go up, initially anyway..

I'm definitely concerned about his deadline problems, I agree with you a 100% on that...
    #MagnetoWasRight

Anyway, I'm not getting the impression from the interviews that they are planning to stick around for more than an arc or two at most anyway.
    I got the same feeling. Maybe DC is testing the waters.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

As a huge fan of Azzarello's run (I think it'll be thought of as one of the best runs Diana's ever had unless they screw up the ending), I didn't hear or see anything in this interview to cause me concern.

I'm still going to give this run a shot but I won't have any preconceived ideas about its quality. I just hope they can keep a schedule, and when David needs make-up time, I hope DC finds fill-ins that reflect his style instead of just finding the first person that can make the schedule.

As for David's quote about feminism, the term is so nebulous and elicits such strong responses (both positive and negative) that I can see why he'd be hesitant to use it. He doesn't want to put any false notions into anyone's heads about what their version of the character will be. Let the work speak for itself.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

BANNED

I'm not convinced by the interview, but it's understandable. Meredith is new to the game, she'll learn to make better interviews, but yes, i know. What's important is that her actual comics will be good.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I got the same feeling. Maybe DC is testing the waters.
    Thirded, now that I think about it. I say 12 issues or 1 yr (whichever happens first) is the max.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    As for David's quote about feminism, the term is so nebulous and elicits such strong responses (both positive and negative) that I can see why he'd be hesitant to use it. He doesn't want to put any false notions into anyone's heads about what their version of the character will be. Let the work speak for itself.
    Actually, the term isn't nebulous at all. "The advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men" is pretty cut and dry. People misunderstanding the word because of personal baggage or false assumptions doesn't change that. The very fact that Wonder Woman exists on the level she does in the DCU both in power and prominence is a feminist statement in itself.

Honestly, not wanting to use the word "feminist" but reassuring everyone that she'll be "beautiful" strikes me as kind of tone-deaf considering what the character means and has meant to generations of fans.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Well, at least some of my fears have been laid to rest. They seem to be ready to build off of Azzarello's run instead of ignoring everything entirely, so hopefully the transition will be smooth.
    "I think that coming on as the new writer, I would be doing myself -- and really, all the work Brian's done -- a disservice to try to recreate or continue his story."

Well, she doesn't want to continue the story, which sounds like a subtle way of saying Azzarello's run will be e tirely ignored.

I think it's laughable that DC is giving one of their most iconic characters to an utterly inexperienced comic writer, and nothing said in this interview makes me believe there is a "direction" for the character moving forward. The fact that David Finch is involved in any way is not reassuring.

This book will probably sell twice as much as Azzarelo's, though. Just the way things are.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    Well, she doesn't want to continue the story, which sounds like a subtle way of saying Azzarello's run will be entirely ignored.
    Par for the course, concerning WW. The incoming writer almost always throws the baby out with the bathwater...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindEclipse View Post
    Honestly, not wanting to use the word "feminist" but reassuring everyone that she'll be "beautiful" strikes me as kind of tone-deaf considering what the character means and has meant to generations of fans.
    Also troubling is how he blindly transitions, in mid sentence, from discussing qualities of her character/personality (strong) to discussing her appearance (beautiful) as if those are the same thing. The implication is also that strong women are not expected to be beautiful.

She's strong, eh? Count me out! BEAUTIFUL but strong, you say? Well then take my money.