Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

I think that what Finch was TRYING to say was that the book wouldn't be overtly feminist. Having some kind of message or political view is fine, but if you beat people over the head with it, then it loses it's effect and just becomes annoying.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian from Canada View Post
    Unless she's on Themyscira. Superman has no place there or Olympus. He has to visit her in London, which is where the Superman/Wonder Woman book takes place from time to time.
    Superman can visit Themiscyra. Some of the Amazons might object, but there's nothing physically stopping him from coming. Batman was able to come, after all. So have the Manazons.

He can visit Olympus as well. Diana or Hermes just needs to open the door for him. But if Zola was able to be there? Superman could be there.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I've thoroughly enjoyed Azzarello and Chiang's run on WW

That being said, I'm really looking forward to this new creative team. I like Finch's artwork and even tho I haven't read any of Meredith's writing yet, I've heard some pretty good things.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Superman can visit Themiscyra. Some of the Amazons might object, but there's nothing physically stopping him from coming. Batman was able to come, after all. So have the Manazons.
    Batman is told he has to leave or they will kill him. Only Diana's intervention prevents this.
    As for the Manzons — did you notice they aren't around by this point, which is after Azzarello's run? They may go back with Hephaestus because that's their real home.

He can visit Olympus as well. Diana or Hermes just needs to open the door for him. But if Zola was able to be there? Superman could be there.
    True, but Diana doesn't call Olympus home. Nor do they have a reason to really go there.

Possibly the best-looking drawing of Wonder Woman I've ever seen...

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I am a causal fan of David Finch's work. Sure he has some problems and artistic quirks, but there really isn't an artist out there who doesn't. Some just lend themselves to better criticism than others.
    Meredith Finch leaves me with a little more cause for caution. I would say I am perplexed as to why DC went with someone who hasn't written more than three comics (and at least one of those was only scripting over someone else's plot apparently) rather than someone a little more seasoned and with a proven track record for one of the company's flagship characters, but it does seem that this was a service to David more than anything else, sadly. I have flashbacks of Jodi Picoult. At least Meredith knows who Wonder Woman is, so I guess that's a plus mark for her. I just hope she proves me wrong and is quite capable.

One thing that I noted, the big rumor for DC centers around next May. I've wondered if perhaps the Finches aren't more of an interim team than anything else. If there is some big deal coming in on the horizon for the DC Universe that would give them six issues to tell their story.

Batman is told he has to leave or they will kill him. Only Diana's intervention prevents this.
    As for the Manzons — did you notice they aren't around by this point, which is after Azzarello's run? They may go back with Hephaestus because that's their real home.
    Yeah, I want to see the Amazons try to kill Superman. That'll be funny.

Diana is changing Paradise Island. She won't let them threaten to kill men on the Island for much longer. A couple Amazons who aren't ready to embrace Diana's new ideals doesn't mean that Diana is maintaining the Amazons "Kill men on sight" rule. Batman's situation was a rogue action. Not the rule.

As for the Manazons? They didn't exactly tour the entire island. Odds are the Manazons are living somewhere else on the island. They may have gone back to the forge, but that hurts Diana's campaign to get the Amazons to embrace men, so I don't see what is gained by that.

True, but Diana doesn't call Olympus home. Nor do they have a reason to really go there.
    Also true. But it's still an option. If they both GET a reason to go to Olympus, there's nothing stopping Superman from coming with her.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Ultimate Member

Yeah, I kind of doubt that Superman has much to fear from the Amazons. He already kicked the crap out of Apollo, an actual god. He could squash the Amazons like bugs if he were so inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Yeah, I kind of doubt that Superman has much to fear from the Amazons. He already kicked the crap out of Apollo, an actual god. He could squash the Amazons like bugs if he were so inclined.
    In fairness? Superman didn't kick the crap out of Apollo. He punched him. One time. Apollo was still.....well, floating afterward. He probably could've continued to fight, he just decided against it.

In return? He almost killed Superman and Wonder Woman without even laying a finger on them himself.

But you're totally right about the Amazons, though. Superman has nothing to worry about from them.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Will read before I judge.

I have been enjoying Azz's run, and I am sad it is ending. I hope also this new one will be good. While I didn't really mind that the other heroes haven't appeared in her book so far, I am not against seeing them in the future, and I am glad they intend to balance every aspect of Diana. I really like mithology, but it's okay seeing also something else sometimes ^^, Diana is also a superheroine after all.

But you're totally right about the Amazons, though. Superman has nothing to worry about from them.
    Don't take me wrong, I don't think he would have any serious problems, also because Diana wouldn't let them hurt him, and that they are powerful or not, they are not at his level, but they have a lot of weapons made by Hephaestus, though xD, and Hessia, even if with a special armor, wasn't that bad against him in Superman/Wonder Woman 9 xD She even drew blood, and Superman infected by the virus has been stated to be stronger than usually.

Of course he didn't want to fight at first...but would he if confronted by Diana's sisters? If in a group and well armed, I wouldn't consider them defenseless... think about 10, 20, 100, ... Exoristos or Hessias well armed, plus the fact Clark wouldn't really want to fight xD
    But Diana wouldn't let it happen, of course. He could get in a fight with 1 or two, but not more than that, I don't think it would happen.
    Last edited by BlackFeath; 07-02-2014 at 12:59 AM.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Lets be honest here. If Superman wants, he can incinerate the island from orbit. Or take the Azzazons on one on one combat. His speed alone will make him win.

<ahem>

Back on track, please Whether or not Superman can kill all the Amazons has nothing to do with the topic.

Thanks!
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

BANNED

My point is that, while Themyscira has allowed men to be on the island — Jason Blood, Batman — it's always on the understanding they have come for a specific quest that must come with their leaving to be fulfilled. Having Superman just show up doesn't fit that; it would be against character and universe rules to have him do so… unless he was specifically summoned to meet Hipolyta, and she can easily meet him off the island. (In Demon Knights,, for example, the Amazons go to shore and Hesia is able to set up an identity outside of the community.)

Themyscira is closed off from the rest of the world. Diana's communicators don't work while in close range. It's not a spot any member of the League should be going — at least, not the males — unless circumstances really demand it. In the case of Blood, the Knights were there to protect the island against Cain and his forces. In Batman's case, he was desperate to retrieve the body of his son which had been taken onto the island by Ra's Al Ghul.

Wonder Woman's problem is that it has two incompatible settings — Themyscira, and not Themyscira — just like Aquaman has Atlantis, and not Atlantis. You don't need Superman, Batman or Green Lantern to stop by in Atlantis to show there is a connection there.

The Finches are very right in pointing out that her Themyscira life conflicts with the non-Themyscira life, and she can't be in both places at once. (Neither can Arthur, which is why Mera is running Atlantis while he galavants across the globe with the League and Others.) How she balances it is a theme missing from the Azzarello run that really needs to be there. Azzarello wanted separation, and they were happy to give him that, but now with Superman/Wonder Woman and Justice League working to maintain the same timeline, a new writer can go in with Johns and Soule and figure out how to get the most of the dual nature of Wonder Woman — especially with a movie due in 2016 featuring her and a 2017 solo film rumoured to follow.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    One thing that I noted, the big rumor for DC centers around next May. I've wondered if perhaps the Finches aren't more of an interim team than anything else. If there is some big deal coming in on the horizon for the DC Universe that would give them six issues to tell their story.
    April is Crisis month. It's the 30th anniversary of Crisis On Infinite Earths, Forever Evil has shown us the Anti-Monitor is on his way, and two of the three weeklies will be ending right beforehand. (Eternal is going on hiatus during the event and then returning with another year-long story.)

Like Forever Evil, certain characters are being manoeuvred already into position — notably Lex Luthor in the Justice League, because he tells Bruce Wayne in issue 31 that they both know something big is coming on the horizon.

Unlike Forever Evil, however, DC seems to be wanting to restrain its roster a bit so as not to have titles get left treading water during the line-wide crossover. As a result, we're seeing more willingness to experiment with outside ideas like Gotham Academy and Grayson, or reviving concepts like Infinity Man & The Forever People because they can end their titles without really impacting the intended end.

So solicitations of May onwards will most likely so some shift towards the fallout, much as we're getting now with the fallout of "Forever Evil."

Plus let us not forget that New 52: Futures End is showcasing characters that lost their first book. Having read the issues so far, it's my opinion that the book presents a case for the post-Crisis launch of Amethyst: Princess Of Gemworld, Lois Lane, Firestorm (without the added subtitle), Frankenstein, and a new volume of Grifter.

And if the next Crisis adjusts the timeline in any way, we can also — hopefully — see a return of The Legion Of Super-Heroes as well.
    Last edited by Brian from Canada; 07-02-2014 at 05:55 AM.