Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Felix seems to be the only "good" and moralistic human on the show.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byc View Post
    Felix seems to be the only "good" and moralistic human on the show.
    I think the people on this show are good and bad in roughly the same proportion as in today's real world. Which is why, when we finally get to see the world outside, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it looks just like the present day and not some kind of Blade Runner cyberpunk future.

Bear in mind that most of the humans genuinely believed the hosts were nothing more than animated RealDolls. I imagine 90% of the guests were actually there to participate in an exciting story, not to "pretend" rape and murder without consequence... but we didn't see many of them because they weren't motivational to the plot.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Bear in mind that most of the humans genuinely believed the hosts were nothing more than animated RealDolls. I imagine 90% of the guests were actually there to participate in an exciting story, not to "pretend" rape and murder without consequence... but we didn't see many of them because they weren't motivational to the plot.
    Then, too, the point was made several times that it is incredibly expensive to take a trip to Westworld (let alone multiple trips). The sorts of people that could afford it are likely somewhat out of touch with most regular-type folk anyway. It's not a good sampling of the population of humanity to select from.

How much more unfortunate that that's the segment of mankind that is the formation of the Hosts' opinions of their creators. It's Tay writ large, but with AI capable of physical action.

Spectacular Member

I think Maeve's decision to remain at the park was ultimately free will but that she's still bound by her programming in a way. Without the chance encounter with the mother and daughter on the train, she likely would have fled the park as Ford intended. But the memories of her daughter or her "cornerstone" is not something she can easily shake, effectively keeping her prisoner.

Does anyone else think Maeve's "escape" programming was from Delos to get her out of the park with the information they wanted?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
    Does anyone else think Maeve's "escape" programming was from Delos to get her out of the park with the information they wanted?
    Nope. I think it was Ford. He needed her a) as a distraction. With the park on emergency lockdown and the Q/A teams hunting for Maeve's crew, nobody can stop Dolores/Wyatt, and b) to resuscitate Bernard, whom he clearly loves and values, in his own twisted Ford way, and c) to unleash his army of cold storage zombies (or whatever they end up going with there).

The scriptwriter guy went to retrieve Abernathy (Dolores' father when we first meet her), who was stuffed full of the data, and all of the cold storage bodies were gone. Presumably, Abernathy is running around avenging himself upon the Delos board as the credits roll, rather than serving as Charlotte's mule.

So the writers tricked us into thinking these hosts were doing all this basically by themselves when this was just a story created by Ford? That's funny.

And that explains why Meave was able to do all that she did without being caught.

MiB did a double take when he left the party and passed by Bernard so they actually showed that some one remembers Arnorld.

Dolores was never speaking to anyone she was speaking to herself. So there's no issue of people constantly pulling her aside to mess with her because no one was.

They basically explained all of the issues i had with the show. Is still not 100% but its still good.

I still dont understand why the park has to have god mode for huests when it comes to gun fighting. How come they didnt developed some sort of health system, i dont know. And this makes the whole MiB story seem a bit silly.

I would love to see a season based on Samurai World.

I dont think Fords dead really either that was a host dalores shot or he made a host and gave him all his memories. Either way i think hopkins will be back.

Eh, I think it would hurt the show to get into the "everybody is really secretly a robot" line of storytelling. I think Ford is really dead... Anthony Hopkins probably doesn't want to be tied to multiple seasons of a TV show. I could see him returning for a couple of flashback scenes, though... especially since the hosts experience memories as actual recorded "footage."

Eh, I think it would hurt the show to get into the "everybody is really secretly a robot" line of storytelling. I think Ford is really dead... Anthony Hopkins probably doesn't want to be tied to multiple seasons of a TV show. I could see him returning for a couple of flashback scenes, though... especially since the hosts experience memories as actual recorded "footage."
    When they did the bernard reveal ford had a host being built in the background. If he has dalores kill a host and then let one person escape the park then for all apparent purposes ford is dead. Or maybe its hopeful wishing, they reveal ford as not actually being a bad guy and then kill him off. I dont think being tied to the shows that big of a deal, the rock does a tv show while making a crap ton of movies a year. The rocks show is a smaller show and probaly films faster but Ford isnt in that many scenes to begin with.

Hopkins also has an Oscar and three nominations, which means he has a bigger variety of job options than the Rock, who does mostly action stuff. A-list "prestige" film stars seldom want to be tied down to a TV show for long... HBO is probably the only network that could have gotten him for even one full season.

Also, Hopkins is 78 years old and will be 80 by the time the next season of Westworld airs. His role isn't very physically active, but any show shot on location can be taxing.

Hopkins also has an Oscar and three nominations, which means he has a bigger variety of job options than the Rock, who does mostly action stuff. A-list "prestige" film stars seldom want to be tied down to a TV show for long... HBO is probably the only network that could have gotten him for even one full season.

Also, Hopkins is 78 years old and will be 80 by the time the next season of Westworld airs. His role isn't very physically active, but any show shot on location can be taxing.
    Right. Let's remember that TV shows tend to have grueling filming schedules, whereas movies can have wider windows of time depending on circumstance and scheduling. Even Hopkins appearing for only 10 minutes of screentime might take an entire day to film, depending on how things go.

It also dawned upon me that Hopkins might have taken the role because he lives relatively close to the shooting locations, since he already lives in LA. It's certainly part of the appeal if stress and rigor is a factor to signing on. The Rock has the health, time, and staff to enable him to fly wherever he wants for a role; but younger TV actors in their 20s and 30s will often move closer to their TV show locations, even if they're doing movies simultaneously.

Season 2 trailer from SDCC, so glad Ed Harris survived the season 1 finale

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post

Going to hold off on watching this. I went into the first season cold and loved it. Hopefully I can do the same with S2.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post

So they are still going to be stuck in the Western concept and haven't moved out into the real world yet? I thought that we would start to get a Blade Runner vibe...