Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Marvel Celebrates "Death of Wolverine" with Retailer 'Memorial' Kits

Retailers can celebrate "Death of Wolverine" with special kits featuring postcards, lithographs, a Deadpool-themed variant cover and more.

Full article here.

BANNED

I think it would have been better if the stuff included in the kit are not showing pictures/images on the death of Wolverine but rather pictures of him and his closest friends, his happy moments, etc.

Ugh can they just stop with milking this so much? Peter didn't even get this level of milking when he died and he's Marvel's flagship character.

I wish Marvel would stop doing this. What's to celebrate??? If we're fans and they really kill him then that sucks. If someone is not a fan of his then they should not care.

BANNED

I don't want to celebrate the death of Wolverine...

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That cover with Deadpool has awkward character placing.

I hate this milking which to me is all that is wrong with comics. The true joy of any fiction is the ride and the suprises along the way. Comics has shucked that for quick sales bumps which is so stupid, as if the word of Wolverines death wouldn't have spread like wildfire the minute the comic hit that Wednesday. The bump would have been the same and wouldn't come at the expense of loyal readers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Ugh can they just stop with milking this so much? Peter didn't even get this level of milking when he died and he's Marvel's flagship character.
    Wasn't he dead for like two issues? the Ultimate Spider-man died for good, not the 616

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    I wish Marvel would stop doing this. What's to celebrate??? If we're fans and they really kill him then that sucks. If someone is not a fan of his then they should not care.
    I think they meant it as some sort of memorial, like a wake celebrating his life, I think they are doing it in a really bad way and, like the covers of the three months to die with his claws getting blown and later his hand, is very distasteful, they should really stop trying to sell this things and attempting to exploit every cent because I'm quite sure that if they keep on doing this lots of people will get tired and will stop buying their stuff, is bad enough that they are killing Logan, I don't need to be remained after every five minutes that they are doing so

Spectacular Member

My personal opinions about the upcoming storyline aside, I think I can share some light on the reasons behind this manner of marketing. See, the difference between Logan's death and the previously mentioned Peter's death (in Doc Ock's body) is that this story was created solely to kill Logan. And that's all there is to it. For clarification, read the comment by the writer of this story from a few weeks ago, where he said that comic readers should not be thinking about when Logan's death will be undo, but rather to concentrate on enjoying this "good" death story that he has come up with. This is the difference between Logan's death and the other stories where beloved characters died (e.g Cap, Nightcrawler, Peter); the others were killed off because of the storyline they were in, while Logan's story was created because Marvel wanted to kill him.

Some celebration they got going on..

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    I hate this milking which to me is all that is wrong with comics. The true joy of any fiction is the ride and the suprises along the way. Comics has shucked that for quick sales bumps which is so stupid, as if the word of Wolverines death wouldn't have spread like wildfire the minute the comic hit that Wednesday. The bump would have been the same and wouldn't come at the expense of loyal readers.
    Comics as a whole or just Marvel and DC? Maybe stop reading comics from the big 2 for a while and see what else is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    Comics as a whole or just Marvel and DC? Maybe stop reading comics from the big 2 for a while and see what else is out there.
    A little late for me on that front. I've been a X-men comic guy since 13. Closest I've come to independent was Wild CATS. I'm sure there is some great independent stuff but I'm just not interested really.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
    My personal opinions about the upcoming storyline aside, I think I can share some light on the reasons behind this manner of marketing. See, the difference between Logan's death and the previously mentioned Peter's death (in Doc Ock's body) is that this story was created solely to kill Logan. And that's all there is to it. For clarification, read the comment by the writer of this story from a few weeks ago, where he said that comic readers should not be thinking about when Logan's death will be undo, but rather to concentrate on enjoying this "good" death story that he has come up with. This is the difference between Logan's death and the other stories where beloved characters died (e.g Cap, Nightcrawler, Peter); the others were killed off because of the storyline they were in, while Logan's story was created because Marvel wanted to kill him.
    See that's the kind of comparison that I find really affects a character death. When a character dies as a circumstance of the story being told it allows the reader to really feel something towards the death since it's not something that we've been told about and it can take us by surprise. A death where literally the entire purpose of the story being told is just to get to that end point, it rings out a lot more shallow of a death since that was the entire point. Like for me, I honestly can't bring myself to feel anything more than contempt at the story since Killable has only been for the lowest common denominator and annoyance that they won't shut up about it. Deaths like Cap or Peter made the news because they were unexpected and something of a massive spoiler when they happened. In this case, any actual care has been bled out of the story by Marvel basically milking it the whole way through causing the story being told to hold less emotional resonance since we all knew how it would end thanks to Marvel constantly going on and on about how they were killing Wolverine. In the end, it's like someone spoiling a surprise and then repeating it over and over again until you just shout to them that you don't care anymore because they wouldn't shut up.

BANNED

I'm going to laugh my ass of, if this piece of crap ends up failing to sell!

Spectacular Member

Feels like the 90s are back. I guess as long as we don't have to listen to/dance the Macarena I'll be fine with it.