Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    How dare you?!

And you!

You guys are killing me...
    It was just the Wonder Man series. That's all. I'm so, so sorry! I did hold onto the Operation Galactic Storm issues, though.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The three that come to mind right away is:
    Justice League by by Keith Giffen and J.M. Dematteis.
    Green Lantern by Gerard Jones
    Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross
    But I'm sure there are more from the 90s and 00s that I could add to the list.
    I hate saying this, but I agree on the Justice League. When I was younger, I loved that run. I'm going to put George Perez' Wonder Woman on this list, used to be one of my favorites in my youth. Read the omni recently and it didn't age well in my eyes.
    Comic, toys and all around geek things from older geeks perspective: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUX...zQaKJKBaqzuNdg

Most of the stuff written by Stan Lee...

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Most of the stuff written by Stan Lee...
    Not for me. Lee had the finger on the pulse back in the day, and being a historian his 60es work depicts the era really well.
    Sure fashions have changed, but his stories are still fresh.

I can't exactly say which stories would fit the question, as most were created to be on the newsstand for just a brief period. Thus many are depictions of their times.

Watchmen would fit for me, as the dawning of a nuclear war ebbed off, still lingering, but it breathes the air of the Cold War, somewhat totally out of touch by todays' myriad of conflicts.

Quote Originally Posted by dimo1 View Post
    Not for me. Lee had the finger on the pulse back in the day, and being a historian his 60es work depicts the era really well.
    Sure fashions have changed, but his stories are still fresh.

I can't exactly say which stories would fit the question, as most were created to be on the newsstand for just a brief period. Thus many are depictions of their times.

Watchmen would fit for me, as the dawning of a nuclear war ebbed off, still lingering, but it breathes the air of the Cold War, somewhat totally out of touch by todays' myriad of conflicts.
    I get what you mean but you do realise that you totally contradict yourself, right? What you say is basically "Stan Lee's stories still hold up because they were a child of their time while Watchmen doesn't hold up because it's a child of its time."

And the basic premise of Watchmen to me still holds up. You can replace the Cold War with any of today's global conflicts imo. Just look at 9/11 which brought large parts of the world together, if only for a while. Why wouldn't a catastrophe like the one in Watchmen make most people forget their petty (and not so petty) conflicts? (and don't forget that at the very end the 'success' of this scheme is even put into question again). At the core of Watchmen is the age-old question: Does the end justify the means?

BANNED

cosmic odyssey :P

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    I get what you mean but you do realise that you totally contradict yourself, right? What you say is basically "Stan Lee's stories still hold up because they were a child of their time while Watchmen doesn't hold up because it's a child of its time."
    No, it's no contradiction as I just didn't want to be off-topic.
    Therefore I chose something that came to my mind as something not aged well.

I get what you hint at, but still the overall feeling of Watchmen is the overpowering nuclear arms race of the US and the USSR.
    Given that it's wrapped nicely and is a well conceived story without doubt.