Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Anything from Top Cow. Literally anything. Also, gotta echo the Prophet praise.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Agreed on Invisible Republic and Roche Limit, OP. As for others...

Elephantmen - not sure if this counts as "lesser-known" since it was relatively big like 5-6 years ago. But it's fallen to obscurity since. The longest running non-partner title for Image. It's great, imo, if you like dystopian futures, anthropomorphism, etc

Drifter - A low sci-fi story that...well, for me, is kinda convoluted? At least at first, I am a handful of issues behind. But there're a lot of characters, a lot of sub-storylines going on, etc. But I like Ivan Brandon and the last arc starts in December, so I'm sure it'll all be tied together.

Manifest Destiny - Alt history take on Lewis & Clark. One of my favorite titles out right now, regardless of publisher. They encounter monsters and creatures on their journey and there's a good amount of societal subtext.

Monstress - Really good story about a girl from an oppressed class. Has anime-art style and an interesting fantasy/steampunk/dark age aesthetic.

Lake of Fire - #1 just came out a couple weeks ago. interesting alt history story about Crusaders encountering aliens (not a spoiler since it's on first couple pages!)

Southern Cross - just started 2nd arc. Really good horror sci-fi story, imo. Set on a large ship and very has a very personal and family sense to it. However, I've decided to trade-wait, even after picking up 1st arc in singles.

I'd mention Birthright, Cry Havoc, Revival, Snotgirl etc, but I don't think they're really "lesser-known" even tho they aren't written by the writers you listed in OP

Quote Originally Posted by armlessphelan View Post
    Anything from Top Cow. Literally anything.
    I can echo this, too.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Mind MGMT, Promethea

I wouldn't really consider Monstress a lesser known either. It gets plenty of love and sells pretty damned well. It's an awesome series though so better safe than sorry right?

Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    I wouldn't really consider Monstress a lesser known either. It gets plenty of love and sells pretty damned well. It's an awesome series though so better safe than sorry right?
    if that's the case, then so be it lol.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

BANNED

One thing I am definitely taking away from this thread is the Manifest Destiny recommendation. Don't know why I'm not reading that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    Drifter - A low sci-fi story that...well, for me, is kinda convoluted? At least at first, I am a handful of issues behind. But there're a lot of characters, a lot of sub-storylines going on, etc. But I like Ivan Brandon and the last arc starts in December, so I'm sure it'll all be tied together.
    Convoluted is a good way to describe Drifter. It was tough for me to follow at times, which lead to me not wanting to read it as much. Is the next arc really the last though? If that's the case I can definitely commit to powering through the confusion to see the endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by son of booyah View Post
    One thing I am definitely taking away from this thread is the Manifest Destiny recommendation. Don't know why I'm not reading that.
    It's fun and horrifying all at the same time. Kind of like a historical-fiction-Supernatural.

Shutter, Birthright, and Southern Cross are favorites of mine.

These 3 I rarely see mentioned but are great series:

1)Bedlam by Nick Spencer (great storytelling, haunting artwork)

2)Severed by Scott Snyder (I know Snyder is problematic for some, but here he brings his A game)

3)Hack/Slash by Tim Seeley (just a lot of fun and gore)

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Stray Bullets
    Kill or Be Killed
    Thief of Thieves
    Lazarus
    Powerlines
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Convoluted is a good way to describe Drifter. It was tough for me to follow at times, which lead to me not wanting to read it as much. Is the next arc really the last though? If that's the case I can definitely commit to powering through the confusion to see the endgame.
    Yeah, I was the same way, hence why I'm a few issues behind (tho that's usually the case for my indie pulls). It should read better in trade, which I'll probably pick up (waste of money, I know *cry*). It's funny b/c part of me was thinking "am I just not getting this b/c I'm not reading it consistently?" But good to know it's not just me!

But yeah, I saw there were no solicitations for it for the 2 months after #14. So I checked the last couple pages of #14 (the letters page or whatever) and it's a letter from Ivan saying they're taking 3 months off then doing the last arc. He repeated again confirming it would be the last arc, though I can check what he says verbatim if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    Yeah, I was the same way, hence why I'm a few issues behind (tho that's usually the case for my indie pulls). It should read better in trade, which I'll probably pick up (waste of money, I know *cry*). It's funny b/c part of me was thinking "am I just not getting this b/c I'm not reading it consistently?" But good to know it's not just me!

But yeah, I saw there were no solicitations for it for the 2 months after #14. So I checked the last couple pages of #14 (the letters page or whatever) and it's a letter from Ivan saying they're taking 3 months off then doing the last arc. He repeated again confirming it would be the last arc, though I can check what he says verbatim if you'd like.
    I trust you lol, but that's good to know. I can stick it out to see it all pay off.

Yeah I still have no idea what is going on in Drifter either but I've enjoyed the ride.

It's easy on the eyes, that's for sure.

Amazing Member

I love the look and feel of Drifter, it really pulled me in the first few issues, but I am lost and confused most of the time when I finish an issue. I have the last 3 issues still waiting to go through, so maybe a larger chunk at a time will help it make more sense.